Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).

4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi Keith is it the 12th or 13th you go? I recall you saying something about your flight time changing. 

We fly from Gatwick 01:15 Thursday 13th February. As it stands we have had no notification of any itinerary changes, keeping everything crossed.

Keith (Southend)

1 hour ago, Southendweather said:

We fly from Gatwick 01:15 Thursday 13th February. As it stands we have had no notification of any itinerary changes, keeping everything crossed.

Keith (Southend)

Have a good one. I will probably track the flight but not from the take off😒

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Have a good one. I will probably track the flight but not from the take off😒

A least we have a balcony if we get stranded for two weeks out there. Joking apart, I should think it would be unlikely on this particular cruise itinerary.

Keith (Southend)

2 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Keith have had any info on Singapore from Tui looking like if you visit you will have to be quarantined, news tonight, stay safe. 🤞

The way I heard it was anyone coming back from both Singapore and Malaysia were being advised to quarantine themselves for 14 days if they showed symptons. The problem didn't they say this could be upto 14 days before you show symptons?

My brother-in-law got back from Dubia today and said the airport out there they were getting paranoid with the situation.

'insidecabin' - I was wondering how many 'cruise only passengers' are there normally on these TUI Marella cruises? I was under the impression very little.

All that's worrying us is what's out of our control, so keeping everything crossed.

Keith (Southend)

11 hours ago, Southendweather said:

The way I heard it was anyone coming back from both Singapore and Malaysia were being advised to quarantine themselves for 14 days if they showed symptons. The problem didn't they say this could be upto 14 days before you show symptons?

My brother-in-law got back from Dubia today and said the airport out there they were getting paranoid with the situation.

'insidecabin' - I was wondering how many 'cruise only passengers' are there normally on these TUI Marella cruises? I was under the impression very little.

All that's worrying us is what's out of our control, so keeping everything crossed.

Keith (Southend)

Starting with the cruise only, I suspect there are very few if any and hopefully the ship is aware that any that are will have potentially been travelling in affected areas rather than just arrived on a flight from the UK so are higher risk passengers.

(Every Marella cruise I have looked at for cruise only has been the similar price but I have seen reports you can get them cheaper)

AS for self quarantine on return, by the time you show symptoms it can be too late as reports are you can be infectious during the incubation period.

This page seems the be the one for up to date advice for UK travellers.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

As of now(6am 7 Feb), for travellers to the risk areas listed, if you show any symptoms self quarantine and call NHS111

(given a lot of people come back from any cruise with coughs how many consider that normal after a cruise)  

We have had Celebrity, Princess, Marella and NCL on watch for a far east deals since Nov, none fitted just right with our dates

If booked on one of these we would still go unless the situation changed.

Wonder if anyone manage to grab that late deal on the Manchester flight yesterday it went under £1,100pp

Late deal £50 off code CRUISE50 works on some of these leaving in the next week or so.

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Starting with the cruise only, I suspect there are very few if any and hopefully the ship is aware that any that are will have potentially been travelling in affected areas rather than just arrived on a flight from the UK so are higher risk passengers.

(Every Marella cruise I have looked at for cruise only has been the similar price but I have seen reports you can get them cheaper)

AS for self quarantine on return, by the time you show symptoms it can be too late as reports are you can be infectious during the incubation period.

This page seems the be the one for up to date advice for UK travellers.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

As of now(6am 7 Feb), for travellers to the risk areas listed, if you show any symptoms self quarantine and call NHS111

(given a lot of people come back from any cruise with coughs how many consider that normal after a cruise)  

We have had Celebrity, Princess, Marella and NCL on watch for a far east deals since Nov, none fitted just right with our dates

If booked on one of these we would still go unless the situation changed.

Wonder if anyone manage to grab that late deal on the Manchester flight yesterday it went under £1,100pp

Late deal £50 off code CRUISE50 works on some of these leaving in the next week or so.

Atm the part to note is:

"If you have returned to the UK from any of these areas in the last 14 days and develop symptoms of cough or fever or shortness of breath, you should immediately:

• stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
  • call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the country In Scotland phone your GP or NHS 24 on 111 out of hours If you are in Northern Ireland, call 0300 200 7885.

Please follow this advice even if your symptoms are minor."

Fortunately we get back early hours on the Friday and I'm not due back in work until Monday, not 14 days admittedley, but will look at the situation at the time.

image.png.da74d9dd7f0f0ac05b164182f51a2d0a.png

2 hours ago, xerxes1 said:

We made 20.8 knots from Koh Samui to Laem Chabang wed- thur this week

That sounds promising. Is there any even flow (or what ever they call it) from the stern, if there is all engines must be running. If they are back up to speed then surely Malacca will be reinstated on the current cruise. Lets hope so for all who are on it.

Just wondered what advise they were giving on the ship regarding the virus situation, are they screening people at the airports or when they embark.

Keith (Southend)

13 hours ago, insidecabin said:

There are some bargains to be had for late buyers. I know it's high risk but nearly half price for Discovery on the 27th Feb. Would you gets Visas in time 🙂

https://www.tui.co.uk/cruise/deals/last-minute-cruises?qcmk=141411457869346&BC=TUI&im_id=Email&CC=UK00000082&mi_u=141411457869346#XtX1249UTcgJFfKYbt/5JJ5IZgw=&airports[]=&units[]=&when=&until=&departureDate=&flexibility=false&noOfAdults=2&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&boardBasisCode=&stops=&fcRating=&tripadvisorrating=&budgetpp=&budgettotal=&searchRequestType=Paginate

Edited by MrSilversurf
link

Not half price by the time I add all the extras I want :classic_sad: (balcony, Premium Club flight) but still a saving on what we paid for Christmas Day flight out. But then again we had a good Christmas day courtesy of flight crew and New Year on board passing Singapore en route to Langkawi.

If I were doing it now I would be worrying about the destinations refusing to accept cruise ships (see Holland America Westerdam), not whether Discovery was able to go to all scheduled ports.

But don't worry about visas -those required were organised by TUI - we took photos for Cambodia but were not asked for them.

10 minutes ago, idh2019 said:

Not half price by the time I add all the extras I want :classic_sad: (balcony, Premium Club flight) but still a saving on what we paid for Christmas Day flight out. But then again we had a good Christmas day courtesy of flight crew and New Year on board passing Singapore en route to Langkawi.

If I were doing it now I would be worrying about the destinations refusing to accept cruise ships (see Holland America Westerdam), not whether Discovery was able to go to all scheduled ports.

But don't worry about visas -those required were organised by TUI - we took photos for Cambodia but were not asked for them.

Thanks for the heads up on Westerdam had not seen that, it is becoming a worry for any cruises in the area, fingers crossed for anyone going. 🤞Hope Tui have it covered. 

As has been discussed previously, most of Marella customers will be flying in from UK as part of the package and not joining after a week (or more)  in an Asian country, so that is a different situation to other cruise companies. I did not even realise that "cruise only" for the Far East was possible until I checked last night after a post on here. Even if someone looks Asian, they were likely born and bred in the UK so no need to avoid them!

So if everyone is careful on their excursions (TUI love taking you to "indoor markets" with exposure to the locals), it should be ok. Probably the locals will all be wearing masks by now which should help.