Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).

We actually leave 2 Jan not Feb!  Still isn’t right that only £250 or £100 is offered. We picked cruise because of the itinerary. I know other things can affect port stops and then nothing can be claimed but TUi know there is a problem and some trips should have been cancelled until problem was fixed.  Very disappointed and hoping nothing else goes wrong!

As you can see from my pasted email above we are being refunded £250pp, we sail on 31st January, it looks as if they are saying different things to different people.  Mind you we haven’t got it yet, it’s a pain having to keep checking the account. Looking at the replies to my post the other day it doesn’t seem to be given on a sliding scale, we are in a junior suite.  It’s a difficult one this but I wouldn’t be pleased if I had paid for the grand suite, not sure but possibly £6000 in total?  Then to be offered £250 which is not much of a percentage of the total cost.  Maybe they get more.  I would get on the phone and tell them you know someone on the cruise the week before who has been offered £250 and see what they say about that.  I would rather have my two and a half days back and no refund, it's a long way to fly for 5 days at sea.

I'm getting a bit concerned we leave on February 13th 00:45, second flight change was 18:55 12th February. Why have they not fixed the problem, surely they have had long enough? The Thai Island is one stop we are looking forward to and that seems to be the one being cut out.

Does anyone have any idea if all will be fixed for the 13th February? As many of you say, it's an aweful long flight to be let down in this way.

Keith (Southend)

28 minutes ago, Southendweather said:

I'm getting a bit concerned we leave on February 13th 00:45, second flight change was 18:55 12th February. Why have they not fixed the problem, surely they have had long enough? The Thai Island is one stop we are looking forward to and that seems to be the one being cut out.

Does anyone have any idea if all will be fixed for the 13th February? As many of you say, it's an aweful long flight to be let down in this way.

Keith (Southend)

Keith its easy for me to say this as I am not affected but please don't let it spoil your holiday, probably nothing you can do now to improve it so its a fête a comple, think that's how you spell it, not very helpful I know but it's obviously cost you a lot of money so try to make the best of it and be mad when you return. Sorry I can't be of more help but I do mean well. 🙄

Edited by Pensioncruiser

Keith, we are with you but as Pensioncruiser says don’t let it spoil your holiday.  We will get our revenge though, thousands of pounds spent to be treated like this, there are other cruise companies that will welcome our business with better customer service.

Happy New Year to you all.

Jan

Thanks for the info Pensioncruiser, for anyone interested the list of ships on cruise mapper is right down at the bottom so a lot of scrolling to find the ship.  Did I read that right, the OP got £250 plus £100 onboard credit? Are TUI making this up as they are going along?  They should treat everyone the same if they are not doing a sliding scale based on price paid.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/accidents/Marella-Discovery-712

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-cruise-marella-discovery-passengers-engine-transformer-slow-down-ship-a9264616.html

Not heard a thing from TUI/Marella yet, but with the flight time changing and being 6 hours later I get the feeling they are not going to sort the transformer out before we go. *If* they don't intend to sort until the ships back in Europe this could effect a lot of holidays!

I was looking at excursions the other day and found it strange that ALL the first day excursion at Malacca were 'Sold Out', I'm reluctant to commit to pre purchasing any excursions.

Oh well, we were pushing the boat out on this one as it's my 60th this January and I have to book leave many months ahead so I feel "I'm up a river without a paddle" so to speak.

The main thing is it should be warm and sunny.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Keith (Southend)

1 hour ago, ekco said:

Thanks for the info Pensioncruiser, for anyone interested the list of ships on cruise mapper is right down at the bottom so a lot of scrolling to find the ship.  Did I read that right, the OP got £250 plus £100 onboard credit? Are TUI making this up as they are going along?  They should treat everyone the same if they are not doing a sliding scale based on price paid.

Yes ekco that's how I read it. Wished I could be more helpful think I would push on the safety aspect as I know the safety officer will have to cover himself. 

At least it’s got to the papers, that article was very interesting.  To throw T&C’s at people just shows how little they care about customer service.  They shouldn’t be able to hide behind them by law.  Why is the travel industry allowed to do this when in any other retail transaction they wouldn’t be able to get away with it? Can you imagine if we bought a three piece suite and they only sent a sofa and one chair and the supplier tried to weasel out of it by quoting t&c’s.  We have had good service from Tui in the past but only when things go well. A few times we have been hung out to dry especially with flight delays when we have been abandoned and left to fend for ourselves when other airlines have provided vouchers for refreshments after a few hours, not to mention actual information. They are becoming a monopoly for package holidays which is never good, thank goodness for Expedia, etc., we can do it ourselves now.

57 minutes ago, ekco said:

At least it’s got to the papers, that article was very interesting.  To throw T&C’s at people just shows how little they care about customer service.  They shouldn’t be able to hide behind them by law.  Why is the travel industry allowed to do this when in any other retail transaction they wouldn’t be able to get away with it? Can you imagine if we bought a three piece suite and they only sent a sofa and one chair and the supplier tried to weasel out of it by quoting t&c’s.  We have had good service from Tui in the past but only when things go well. A few times we have been hung out to dry especially with flight delays when we have been abandoned and left to fend for ourselves when other airlines have provided vouchers for refreshments after a few hours, not to mention actual information. They are becoming a monopoly for package holidays which is never good, thank goodness for Expedia, etc., we can do it ourselves now.

Check out my post #11on this thread they cannot hide. 

3 hours ago, Southendweather said:

Looking at the cruisemapper.com site Marella Discover is travelling at 15 knots, usually her average speed is 24 knots, just over half speed ahead....

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise/Marella-Cruises/Marella-Discovery

Keith (Southend)

15 to 18 knots is about a normal economical service speed , no ship goes tearing round at 24 knots unless they are desperate to get somewhere , the fuel bill goes through the roof running near to maximum speed

23 minutes ago, okavango said:

15 to 18 knots is about a normal economical service speed , no ship goes tearing round at 24 knots unless they are desperate to get somewhere , the fuel bill goes through the roof running near to maximum speed

So if that's normal is Discovery back on schedule one asks?

Keith (Southend)

No emails from Tui here since the notification of change nearly two weeks ago.  Hopefully the flights are unchanged as we have booked airport parking.  No refund in the account yet, it’s a pain having to keep checking.

To everyone leaving today, have a good time whatever happens.  We look forward to hearing of your experiences.  

Southendweather - only a percentage of excursions are sold on line and some are held back to be booked on the ship. When you embark head for reception/destination services in the atrium and you can book using one of the apps on the computer screens dotted around that area or at Destination services if it's open Do this as soon as and you should be ok

Have a lovely cruise and it's correct that the ship would never sail at 24knts unless there's an emergency and 16/17knts is reasonable as often the ships sail a lot slower

We get on in Dubai in April to sail back to Palma and are looking forward to it whatever 

Its a lovely ship and Gavin the CD is great

Hi Vitasign, I've previously used both online and the app screen on the ship, far better way of doing it. In fact last year one of the 10 hour excursions in Cuba vanished on line yet as soon as we boarded I went straight to the screen and saw it was there and booked it.

I'm hoping my luck will continue as we were one of the few to get the full time at Havana, Cuba last year.

Sailed on Discovery twice and Discovery 2 once, we like this size ship.

Must admit I like to pre book excursions for two reasons:

1. In case one gets fully booked, have been caught before.

2. I don't come home to a large bill.

Already keeping an eye on the weather down there:

http://www.southendweather.net/as191231.html

Thanks

Keith (Southend)

Edited by Southendweather
typos