Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
blossomleh

Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, ekco said:

Hi folks.  After a lot of hanging around we finally got Tui on the phone.  The bad news is, according to them, our revised itinerary is in place for everyone until the end of March so don’t get your hopes up.  Trying to book excursions is proving more difficult than we thought as a lot of the ones we want are fully booked online.  Asking on the phone if we could cancel any booked excursions if we get onboard and manage to book the ones we originally wanted they said we would have to ask on the ship which is not helpful.  Anyone know if we can cancel excursions?  Also, the second day in Bangkok looks to be a waste of time as this is day 8 and we depart at 15.00.  All the trips state day 7 and not day 8.  We can’t see anything to do on day 8, we had thought of doing the Pattaya beach trip on day which is only 4.5 hours but it’s not available for that day.  This is getting ridiculous.

Remember they don't release all the excursions online just go to destination services ASAP or fill the booking in that should be in your cabin on arrival and place it in the drop off box. Good luck 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pensioncruiser.  We’ll have to move quick when we board I think.  Now we’ve been sourcing excursions it’s becoming apparent that things are worse than first appeared.  Apart from knocking off stops, two of the ones they are claiming to be stops, day 8 at Bangkok, leaving at 15.00 with no excursions and the last day before leaving, Langkawi, which doesn’t arrive until 18.00 making it a useless day at sea.  Five days at sea plus the two aforementioned make it seven useless days out of fourteen.  OK if you don’t want to go off ship but we do. The phone staff have to refer to a memo given to them and, reading between the lines from the way they speak, have been getting a lot of irate complaints.  It looks to me as though they are trying to carry on until the end of March then limp back to Europe for repair.  Beware if you have booked the first Med cruise, I bet they cancel that as it would be cheaper for them to do that than refunding us.  Just my opinion and I hope I’m wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay I've booked online 5 trips we want to do, just incase there ia a mad dash and they go, didn't see one for Koh Sumui that set us a light, so we see what happens. All gone online at Lawgkawi Island 1st day and also nothing jumps out at me for Cambodia, so we'll see what's available on board, same with Lawgkawi Island.

If it's £250 per person compensation that will cover those excursions. In some ways I'm glad I have wind of this now, so will be expecting an email soon from TUI.

 

Will be interesting to hear from them as we are also booked for next August on Marella Explorer, I'm the lead of a party of 5. I'm sure they will want to keep us sweet 🌡️

 

Keith (Southend)

Edited by Southendweather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t wait for an email Keith, get ahead of the game and phone them up and find out.  It would be interesting to hear what they say to you.  I’m assuming that you are flying to Thailand if you can find trips at Langkawi, we start and end there so no hope for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, we fly to Langkawi on the 13th February 2020 arrive 20:30 and return on the 27th February 2020 depart 17:25 (Both latest flight times received from TUI), from Gatwick.

 

All the excursions at Langkawi are gone for the 14th February apart from 2 with 2 places left,  but there are some for the 27th February, which look like being half day trips, not got the cable car, which is what we wanted to do, maybe that will appear once we board and make a stampeed for the booking booths 😁, you'll know it's me by the speed...watch this space so to speak...

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I've been meaning to ask, what currency's does one need (as we say down souf)

 

Also, not been to the quacks yet, but what vacinations are recommended, if not made sure are upto date?

 

Keith Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you fly on the 13th won’t you miss the trips at Langkawi?  Presumably they are for the Thailand flight people.  My revised itinerary means we will only transit Langkawi with no time for trips even on the day before we leave as we don’t dock until 18.00.  I’m not even bothering with vaccinations as tetanus, hepatitis, etc. I had a while ago are still ok and we won’t be off ship that much thanks to Tui. Mosquito repellant on the other hand will be essential.

 

We were wondering about the currency as well.  What on earth is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:07 PM, ekco said:

Not yet Keith, we sail on the 31st.  Hopefully not 48 degrees like Australia, I couldn’t bear it.

Being a lot closer to the Equator than even the most northern part of Aus,it will be 40+ and humid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, brian1 said:

Being a lot closer to the Equator than even the most northern part of Aus,it will be 40+ and humid.

 It's the humidity that makes it feel hotter, but unlikely to reach 40+c on our ports. Here's my data for the 4th January 2020, the best time of year as it is the driest season atm:

 

image.png.61a8b1fd60c739486cc5dac8669052ff.png

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Southendweather said:

 It's the humidity that makes it feel hotter, but unlikely to reach 40+c on our ports. Here's my data for the 4th January 2020, the best time of year as it is the driest season atm:

 

image.png.61a8b1fd60c739486cc5dac8669052ff.png

 

Keith (Southend)

 

I've added a bit more data to these locations, added values are taken from mid day (local time) data.

image.png.bd503c0fd637523ade2bd375e98cb871.png

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Southendweather said:

 It's the humidity that makes it feel hotter, but unlikely to reach 40+c on our ports. Here's my data for the 4th January 2020, the best time of year as it is the driest season atm:

 

image.png.61a8b1fd60c739486cc5dac8669052ff.png

 

Keith (Southend)

We get those forecasts in Southern Italy in July and August ie. mid 30s but often reaches 40 in unshaded areas.Anyway I hope you are right for your own comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brian1 said:

We get those forecasts in Southern Italy in July and August ie. mid 30s but often reaches 40 in unshaded areas.Anyway I hope you are right for your own comfort.

These are actual recorded shade temperatures from official meteorological locations, mainly airports. I have two automatic weather stations in my garden, both in proper enclosures, one I have on a north facing wall which I use to record the maximum *shade* temperature on sunny days. The temperature can be 3 to 4 degrees higher in full sun in summer, even though it's in an enclosure, the north facing one seems to agree with Southend Airport about 1/2 mile from me. 🌡️

Just decoded the data for the 5th January 2020 for the same locations:

 

image.png.54796947d7f9c5c704f879913ffcafac.png

 

Nearly half an inch of rain at Kuala Lumpa, but probably fell in a very short time.

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, Southendweather said:

Something I've been meaning to ask, what currency's does one need (as we say down souf)

 

Also, not been to the quacks yet, but what vacinations are recommended, if not made sure are upto date?

 

Keith Southend)

Depending on your plans it is possible to get by with US$, it may make a small purchase more expensive, but less so than getting currency and changing it back. I don't think there is a port where you could use it. Have plenty of small notes though. 

We were recommended Measles plus the usual vaccinations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Somerset Cruiser.  Dollars make more sense due to the different countries we visit.  Sigh! Nearly 3 weeks on and still awaiting the refund.  Quelle surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ekco said:

Thanks Somerset Cruiser.  Dollars make more sense due to the different countries we visit.  Sigh! Nearly 3 weeks on and still awaiting the refund.  Quelle surprise.

 

Still not heard anything from TUI. I'm trying to track the ship but doesn't seem to be updating atm, in theory K0 Somui should be tomorrow. 🤔 We're 5 weeks away.

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's location has updated and it doesn't look to me that it would make Ko Sumui tomorrow. On another marine tracke it say's destination THLCH, which I would say is Thailand Chabang.

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Southendweather said:

These are actual recorded shade temperatures from official meteorological locations, mainly airports. I have two automatic weather stations in my garden, both in proper enclosures, one I have on a north facing wall which I use to record the maximum *shade* temperature on sunny days. The temperature can be 3 to 4 degrees higher in full sun in summer, even though it's in an enclosure, the north facing one seems to agree with Southend Airport about 1/2 mile from me. 🌡️

Just decoded the data for the 5th January 2020 for the same locations:

 

image.png.54796947d7f9c5c704f879913ffcafac.png

 

Nearly half an inch of rain at Kuala Lumpa, but probably fell in a very short time.

 

Keith (Southend)

Blimey,that sounds technical.We were on Southend seafront last week with daughter and grandkids,walking along with pie and chips in cold drizzle.Contrasted with eating local fish and chips alfresco,riverside in Singapore a few years ago.I know where I'd rather be,lol.Anywhere a few degrees from the Equator will not be like walking along Thorpe bay,even in our sometimes good summers.It reached 50 once in our unshaded back garden in July.The strength of the Sun makes a lot of difference in unshaded areas in different parts of the world.Let me know the outcome when you get back,even if it's to say "I told you so".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the reason Tui is leaving it late to inform about the problem is that under 70 days you can’t cancel without losing all your money, even though it is their fault.  Anyone on these itineraries should phone up to check and make sure.  Let us know what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ekco said:

I think the reason Tui is leaving it late to inform about the problem is that under 70 days you can’t cancel without losing all your money, even though it is their fault.  Anyone on these itineraries should phone up to check and make sure.  Let us know what they say.

Definately missed Ko Sumui...

image.png.c47985f0187a20d8bc2071cb8f16ad92.png

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being lazy, has anyone done a review of their cruise yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😞

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

Blimey,that sounds technical.We were on Southend seafront last week with daughter and grandkids,walking along with pie and chips in cold drizzle.Contrasted with eating local fish and chips alfresco,riverside in Singapore a few years ago.I know where I'd rather be,lol.Anywhere a few degrees from the Equator will not be like walking along Thorpe bay,even in our sometimes good summers.It reached 50 once in our unshaded back garden in July.The strength of the Sun makes a lot of difference in unshaded areas in different parts of the world.Let me know the outcome when you get back,even if it's to say "I told you so".

Hi Brian, Southend seafront never seems the same after travelling around the world 😉

I love the heat so not a problem for me, worked in Oman one August (Khasab) and it was 50c in the shade, but saying that, not the humidity that you get in the tropics which saps you. My Wife always has a go at me when I take her on a route march in the mid day sun 🌞 Thorpe Bay was where I grew up and still have relatives etc.

Btw, are you going on one of these Asia cruises soon Brian?

 

Okay back to the weather at the cruise locations:

image.png.6877db2f80e2e23d5ee94096f82b8ebe.png

 

Maximum missing from bufa/synop data for Ho Chi Minh City 😞

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, ekco said:

This is the revised itinerary we were given in the email received on 20/12.  No contact since then so I am assuming it still stands.  The last 3 days are a waste of time, especially day 14 when we arrive at 18.00, not much point in that as it will be dark before long so basically 6 sea days.
<snip>

We did Secrets of Asia on Discovery, starting 21st March 2019. Leaving Laem Chabang on day 1and arriving day 15 at Cochin Kerala. It stuck to the advertised Itinerary, which included Five days at sea but there was only one short day, when she left Malacca at 14:00 (as advertised). Temps were mid to low 30s, a nice trip. Great crew and nice food, apart from the cold factory toast they serve in the buffet 🙂

 

Edited by MrSilversurf
toast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 6:32 PM, Southendweather said:

Hi theped - Now if I've got this right that would be in the same week as us, 1st week for us, 2nd week for you, I assume you fly into Thailand to board the ship. You haven't been told officially yet I guess?

 

I think we will know one way or the other this week.

 

I wonder if a large part is required to repair the transformer as this would more likely come into Thailand due to the size of the port, but I'm only playing a guessing game.

 

Keith (Southend)

Discovery has 2 props . She has FIVE huge Wartsila Vasa 46B Diesel engines. These would power generators, which supply enough electricity to supply a town of 200,000 people. Typically for a ship of this size, 4 transformers would convert high voltage current to turn the 2 propeller shafts. I guess it's one of these that went kaput and has now been dismantled awaiting parts.

They'll probably re-install the repaired transformer overnight, so it shouldn't effect the revised schedules/itineraries. These transformers are huge at about 10 tons each. There are other additional transformers used for the Hotel side of ops.etc,. Discovery was Splendour of the Seas, here's a vid of it's sister ship Legend of the Seas, which uses the same 5 Vasa engines but dose not (sadly) show the transformers. The lady at 42 - 50 secs, is walking between 2 of these engines

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

Discovery has 2 props . She has FIVE huge Wartsila Vasa 46B Diesel engines. These would power generators, which supply enough electricity to supply a town of 200,000 people. Typically for a ship of this size, 4 transformers would convert high voltage current to turn the 2 propeller shafts. I guess it's one of these that went kaput and has now been dismantled awaiting parts.

They'll probably re-install the repaired transformer overnight, so it shouldn't effect the revised schedules/itineraries. These transformers are huge at about 10 tons each. There are other additional transformers used for the Hotel side of ops.etc,. Discovery was Splendour of the Seas, here's a vid of it's sister ship Legend of the Seas, which uses the same 5 Vasa engines but dose not (sadly) show the transformers. The lady at 42 - 50 secs, is walking between 2 of these engines

 

 

Thanks for sharing that with us...

 

Keith (Southend)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...