Aquaclass- daily hors d'oeuvres - Your suggestion

VitaminSea53

They change daily.  Square plate with 4 small sections with 4 difference things, eg: humus, olives, sweet item, cheese, shrimp,  various spreads.  You can request a cheese plate,  not great 2-3 prices of cheese and saltine crackers or shrimp cocktail 3 -4 small shrimp.  

We rarely ate them and usually asked our attendant to stop bringing them. They often looked unappetising or were left sitting in our cabin for an unknown period of time  unrefrigerated. Suitable cutlery was also not supplied  making it impossible to eat dips or spreads if crackers weren’t included.

We were not in Aqua Class, we were in Concierge Class.

After experiencing the daily hors d' oeuvres on a previous cruise we did not want them, in fact, we found them a bit gross.

So, we asked our cabin attendant to please replace it with fruit, so every day we hot a nice little selection of grapes, strawberries and melon.

The used to put a tray of fresh apples, oranges or pears in Concierge Class daily but this last cruise they had stopped, don't know why.

I had read here on Cruise Critic that we could request a cheese and cracker plate. We did so on our first Concierge Class cruise in March. There was always a little fruit and sometimes nuts included, as well as fairly nice crackers. 

In October, on our first Aqua cruise, we requested the same, but the cheese plate came with dreadful Zesta saltine crackers in a little plastic pouch. On the third day, I happened to be there while delivery was happening, and noticed a box of Carr's crackers, so I asked for "better" crackers, which we got a variety of daily for the rest of the cruise. 

Thanks to posters above, I now know that I can request a fruit plate. I think I will be doing so on our future cruises in C- or A- cabins. 

I love learning new things here from helpful people!

• Like 3

One problem is that it may be left in the cabin unrefrigerated  for a period of time and you never get any utensils.

if you really need something it is actually better to go to the buffet and load up a plate with what you want to take it back to your cabin.  There is always a nice selection before dinner, and while there get a drink from the bar to enjoy with it.   Use the tray in your cabin to carry everything back.   If you go by yourself take the other persons card for theIr drink if you have a drink pack and grab a few utensils.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I personally ask the Room Attendant to skip the evening "Treat" as well as the Ice Tea.   Just our preference as we generally would just leave them.  

We do the same.  Besides, we dislike needing to decide in advance what we will feel like having later.

We would rather take a little stroll around and see the wider range of selections  available for ourselves each day before deciding.

After all, there are the various flavors of ice-cream that keep changing and the different kinds of pizza to consider,  and all those baked goodies and beverages at Cafe al Bacio, in addition to the offerings available each day at the afternoon tea.

Occasionally one may even be in the mood for a hotdog.

The only thing is that if you are in a suite, do not let your butler catch you carrying any food or beverage items back to the suite.

Otherwise, you may find yourself engaging in an absurd conversation that goes something like this:

Butler:  Oh, you should have called me to get that for you.

Me:  But I didn't know I wanted it until I was standing right there in front of it.

Butler:  You should have called me anyway.

Edited by varoo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, varoo said:

The only thing is that if you are in a suite, do not let your butler catch you carrying any food or beverage items back to the suite.

Otherwise, you may find yourself engaging in an absurd conversation that goes something like this:

Butler:  Oh, you should have called me to get that for you.

Me:  But I didn't know I wanted it until I was standing right there in front of it.

Butler:  You should have called me anyway.

we feel the same when in a suite.   We don’t need someone else to do or get something for us when we are right there

We were walking back to our suite with a drink.  The butler seen us and asked what it was?   We told him an Old Fashioned.  He asked about it and we told him and he still didn’t understand what it was other than it had Woodford in it.  He said that he could have got it for us.  

that evening there were two manhattan glasses filled with Woodford straight up.   He asked us how we liked it.   Just to be nice we said great and thank you but it was too much and we don’t need it.  It fell on deaf ears as he continued to leave 2 glasses of the same every day.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, danusia said:

We were in Aqua class on the Summit 12/14 sailing.  Is this something that we should have asked for? Or were they supposed to leave for us daily?  Celebrity newbie, here.

Your room steward should have delivered the afternoon savories or at the very least should have asked if you wanted them. That being said, if you didn't get them you really didn't miss much. They consist of 4 or 5 small bites of something different (and not great) each day. Lately it's been a few olives, some cheese, some hummus (without pita or cracker or cutlery), a small shrimp (if you're lucky). Don't feel deprived. I hope your cruise was wonderful.

On 12/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, TeaBag said:

We have found them to be improved lately.  We usually eat them.  Love the shrimp, hummus, olives, but then, we're kind of like our Beagle.  We eat anything!!😀

We also liked the humus olives and nachos. The others not much.

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

Bring your own crackers.  The ones on board are not very appealing and often stale!

Not surprised that they're stale considering the number of concierge guests who turn down the daily canapes.

We ask for a cheese plate instead.  I also bring some ziplock bags on the cruise and will pick up some crackers from the lunch buffet  (usually not enough crackers if any with your cheese) and keep them in a bag in our room. Also get extra cutlery...usually have to hide it in a draw so they don’t take it 😁

16 minutes ago, Dall said:

Also get extra cutlery...usually have to hide it in a draw so they don’t take it 😁

I've hidden wine and martini glasses in my bathroom cabinet behind some cosmetics out of sight as they're not always replaced. I do bring some snacks from home in ziplock bags such as roasted chick peas. Nice on the balcony with a great book and a drink. 🍸

I feel better about hiding extra cutlery in the drawer and wine glasses in the fridge, now that I see others do as well. 

A half glass of wine and perhaps a snack on the balcony after a day ashore and before dinner is lovely. 

• Like 1