Bed Setup Situations

Bacon715

Been browsing the forum for a few years now, but after my last cruise I have a question that google has been unsuccessful in answering for me. (maybe I'll try Siri next time)

On both of our cruises, my wife and I, we had them setup the room as a Queen bed (the two smaller ones pushed together).  I move around a lot in my sleep, and ended up having to keep pushing the mattresses back together this last time.  I think it was the same on our first cruise too.  We are trying to plan our next one, hopefully Alaska in 2021.  Are there rooms that are always a queen bed?  The crack in the middle is really annoying to me.  TIA for any insight from the veteran cruisers.

3 hours ago, Bacon715 said:

Been browsing the forum for a few years now, but after my last cruise I have a question that google has been unsuccessful in answering for me. (maybe I'll try Siri next time)

On both of our cruises, my wife and I, we had them setup the room as a Queen bed (the two smaller ones pushed together).  I move around a lot in my sleep, and ended up having to keep pushing the mattresses back together this last time.  I think it was the same on our first cruise too.  We are trying to plan our next one, hopefully Alaska in 2021.  Are there rooms that are always a queen bed?  The crack in the middle is really annoying to me.  TIA for any insight from the veteran cruisers.

On the Disney ships, the queen bed is just that = a queen bed.  It doesn't separate like other cruiselines.  I've read that some cruiselines use a strap about the bed (not sure if it's the mattress or the bed frame) when putting the two twins together creating the queen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your beds aren't "set up" to your liking, tell your cabin attendant to change it.  They will make it so before bedtime.  Generally, only the BIG suites have TRUE kings/queens.  On most ship cabins, it's 2 twins pushed together.  There is a strap you can buy that will "hold" the mattresses together, so no one falls thru the crack.....although we've never had that issue....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

There is a strap you can buy that will "hold" the mattresses together, so no one falls thru the crack....

I'll have to get a set. Looks like they are pretty cheap and would be absolutely worth it to me

17 hours ago, Bacon715 said:

Owner suites on Royal have a  true Queen bed  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

We must have had the topper. We never had a problem with the crack.

The only time we've had an issue with the two mattress together to form one bed was when one of the mattresses was OBVIOUSLY  a new one and the other was not.  There was a good 2" difference in height between them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2019 at 2:17 PM, Shmoo here said:

I've read that some cruiselines use a strap about the bed (not sure if it's the mattress or the bed frame) when putting the two twins together creating the queen. 

I can't remember how or why, but we noticed these straps on one of our cruises.  It was pretty unobtrusive and I kind of suspect is it commonly used.  Seems it was around the mattresses if I remember correctly.   Sigh -- my memory isn't exactly finely tuned this morning.  Hahah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1