Buying pounds in Southampton/Weymouth

schmoopie17

After making several other stops in Europe during our Mediterranean cruise, our first UK stop will be in Southampton/Weymouth. My assumption is that pounds would be readily available from ATMs attached to banks in town and convenient to the port. Is this an accurate assumption?

It seems like a better idea to purchase on-site in the UK rather than at our local bank before we leave and have to carry them through Italy, Spain and France prior to landing in the UK.

(Okay, maybe "carry them" isn't exactly accurate, since we know we can leave them in the cabin safe until we arrive in the UK). 

This is our first European cruise so would welcome insight from seasoned cruisers as to the best course of action...buy ahead of time vs. on-site upon arrival,

Thanks...

7 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

My assumption is that pounds would be readily available from ATMs attached to banks in town and convenient to the port. Is this an accurate assumption?

Getting local currency as needed from a bank's ATM is always the best way to do it. Put as many expenses as you can on a credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees and then use an ATM to get as little cash as you think you would need. Just don't use an ATM that isn't associated with a bank and pay extra fees. There are plenty of these in Southampton. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Getting local currency as needed from a bank's ATM is always the best way to do it. Put as many expenses as you can on a credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees and then use an ATM to get as little cash as you think you would need. Just don't use an ATM that isn't associated with a bank and pay extra fees. There are plenty of these in Southampton. 

and Weymouth. 

Can you clarify your UK stop/s?

Your "Weymouth " stop will actually be Portland.

According to the web, there's an ATM at the Royal Breakwater Hotel just a couple of hundred yards from Portland port gate.

But I'm a little sceptical about ATMs in such locations - access, ATM charges, etc.

And there's little infrastructure at the port - a pleasant if unexciting little castle, a fairly new D-Day museum, couple of pubs & locals' shops. Nowhere near enough for a full day 

No taxis available on-spec at the port. If you want to do your own thing from Portland you need to pre-book a tour - suggestions on previous threads at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Portland&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

You can ask your tour driver to stop off at an ATM.

Ships lay on shuttlebuses to the Victorian seaside resort of Weymouth, about 5 miles away. There'll be plenty of banks and ATMs there. 

Southampton has four cruise terminals - I don't think there are ATMs at any of them, but no problem in the city centre

JB :classic_smile:

15 hours ago, John Bull said:

Can you clarify your UK stop/s?

Your "Weymouth " stop will actually be Portland.

Yes, our first UK port is Portland. (Not sure why I had Southampton on my mind...although our cruise does end there.)

So, yes...I was interested in ATM availability in either Portland or Weymouth...preferably at a large bank, not a stand-alone ATM.

18 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yes, our first UK port is Portland. (Not sure why I had Southampton on my mind...although our cruise does end there.)

So, yes...I was interested in ATM availability in either Portland or Weymouth...preferably at a large bank, not a stand-alone ATM.

Then I suggest that if you want to spend the day in Weymouth, take ship's shuttle (will be charged to your on-board account) and use an ATM there, or if you book a local tour (they're always vans, not large buses) you get the driver to stop by at an ATM. If you choose to take a ship's tour you'll be in the hands of the driver or guide - but I don't recommend ships' excursions from Portland to Bath or Stonehenge, they're very long bus rides.

Bear in mind that credit cards are very widely used in the UK, so change only enough for ice-creams, fish & chips etc. I leave it to you whether you'd prefer to have a little sterling in your pockets when you step off the ship - you'll get awful rates on the ship but  you might feel more comfortable with a tenner or two in your pockets.

I know Dorset tolerably well although I'm not a local, and we do have a Dorset turnip-eater on this board so we can can try to help with any other queries

Have a great cruise

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, turnip eater said:

I’m in Hampshire young John, not Dorset, near Lymington. Having said that, we’re hoping to move to Devon in the New Year , my Hansom, learning the lingo. 😄

OK - I'll settle for "turnip eater 12 miles from Dorset"

Please update me on your distance the other side of Dorset in due course.

And whether you'll be changing your name to Apple Dappy eater. :classic_wink: