Tropicante for Parents, Young Kids and Grandparents?

sailawaybellaluna

I've been scouring the boards trying to decide on what to do during our day in Costa Maya this April...

Last time we were there, we spent the afternoon out at Maya Chan. We loved the service and food, but admittedly, we aren't really big drinkers or eaters. This time around, we are in port from 1 - 8pm, so we will probably eat lunch onboard the ship and return for dinner in the main dining room. So, I'm hesitant to book an AI sort of beach club for $50+/person when we won't be there during a proper meal time.

I've requested loungers at Tropicante and I'm thinking we will probably just do a few drinks/snacks. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions for our group?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

I've been scouring the boards trying to decide on what to do during our day in Costa Maya this April...

Last time we were there, we spent the afternoon out at Maya Chan. We loved the service and food, but admittedly, we aren't really big drinkers or eaters. This time around, we are in port from 1 - 8pm, so we will probably eat lunch onboard the ship and return for dinner in the main dining room. So, I'm hesitant to book an AI sort of beach club for $50+/person when we won't be there during a proper meal time.

I've requested loungers at Tropicante and I'm thinking we will probably just do a few drinks/snacks. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions for our group?

Thank you!

We enjoy Tropicante very much - good food, service but the loungers are very close together.

Our recent sailing with a 7-year old we had planned to go Blue Kay because it is at the northern end of the malecon, quieter with more room. The random pricing policies irk me a little but they are not extortionate, just inconsistent, and I was willing to deal with it for more space.

since you have loungers reserved at Tropicante you could always start there, see how it goes, then walk north to Blue Kay for a time, if you are all mobile. Checkout photos on TripAdvisor. 

The other thing to consider in April is that seaweed may be bad Again at Costa Maya if history repeats itself for another season. You will see as you sail in and our back-up plan in that case was to spend the day at the port and use the pool, do the aviary tour and watch the Voladores, dolphins etc.

However, it was too windy the day we were there and the ship couldn’t  dock so we got a sea day!

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 weeks later...

We will be headed to Tropicante next week via Celebrity for a relaxing day at the beach.  Made a reservation for loungers.  Looking forward to their great food and drinks.  It's been a little over a year since our last visit.  No children with us on this trip, but I'll try to follow up with a brief review when we return.  

Edited by cruise3122

On 12/29/2019 at 1:48 PM, c-leg5 said:

We enjoy Tropicante very much - good food, service but the loungers are very close together.

Our recent sailing with a 7-year old we had planned to go Blue Kay because it is at the northern end of the malecon, quieter with more room. The random pricing policies irk me a little but they are not extortionate, just inconsistent, and I was willing to deal with it for more space.

since you have loungers reserved at Tropicante you could always start there, see how it goes, then walk north to Blue Kay for a time, if you are all mobile. Checkout photos on TripAdvisor. 

The other thing to consider in April is that seaweed may be bad Again at Costa Maya if history repeats itself for another season. You will see as you sail in and our back-up plan in that case was to spend the day at the port and use the pool, do the aviary tour and watch the Voladores, dolphins etc.

However, it was too windy the day we were there and the ship couldn’t  dock so we got a sea day!

Great suggestions, thank you so much! Yes, if the seaweed is terrible we may stay at the port as well!

21 hours ago, cruise3122 said:

We will be headed to Tropicante next week via Celebrity for a relaxing day at the beach.  Made a reservation for loungers.  Looking forward to their great food and drinks.  It's been a little over a year since our last visit.  No children with us on this trip, but I'll try to follow up with a brief review when we return.  

Oh wonderful! I would really appreciate if you report back! Have a wonderful trip!