No more straws on board?

VTcruisenut

1 hour ago, cuccumella said:

Am I the only one who thinks they should provide reusable straws with your drink? I mean come on I don't want to spend my vacation washing straws

They do provide paper straws on request.  No big deal IMO.

I doubt they want to sanitize re-usable straws but who knows? They could for sale on the shops next 😉 

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It's a choice.  SFO banned individual bottles of water for sale.  They have "fillers" all around the terminals, where you can refill your bottles post-security.  And, you can buy a fillable bottle.  No biggie.  I wish they put these fillers on cruise ships!!

Oh. I get it now. (I couldn’t view the news link provided earlier as I have an ad blocker.) Yes, much prefer the bottle filling stations. I always bring an empty container and refill at those after passing through security.  We have them at work too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cuccumella said:

Am I the only one who thinks they should provide reusable straws with your drink? I mean come on I don't want to spend my vacation washing straws

I can see your point, but I know for myself I would be so grossed out. Wondering how clean that straw is. I have a hard enough time eating off of the silverware. 

• Like 2

Well, my problem is the glasses in which they serve virgin marys (and, I presume, bloody marys), which is my drink of choice.  They look sort of like these:

image.png.3e1a3431b864e60d3cc899e09a61bfef.png

The problem is that all of the ice stays in the lower part -- and they put LOTS of ice in them.  So when the level of drink becomes level with the ice and you tip it up you end up with a faceful of ice.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to imbibe all of the drink because of the shape of the glass.  So, in the past, I have always requested a straw when I ordered my drink -- until I was on Volendam a couple of months ago. Was told unequivocally "no more straws".  So no more drinks for me.  However, I got a LOT of credit back on my beverage card. 🙂

<off-topic> BTW, that was the same cruise where I first encountered the no-more-sugar-packets issue. I use the raw sugar (on the ships and at home). But I discovered that problem on the evening of departure so our first stop next day was in Victoria BC and I went to the grocery store and got a box of raw sugar packets to last the rest of the 3+-week cruise.

The weird thing about all of that was that I had just disembarked a 14-day cruise on ms Amsterdan only two weeks before boarding Volendam.  On Amsterdam there were raw-sugar packets available in the MDR and Lido, as well as straws available for my virgin marys.  So I was kind of blindsided when I encountered those issues on Volendam.

So for my next cruise in May I'll take my metal telescoping straw whose container clips via carabiner to my badge reel.  (And -- for all you anti-lanyard folks -- that reel clips to my pants waistline and my shirt covers it so you can't see that I'm wearing one.  I have no husband with pockets to accompany me on my voyages.)

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 2

I saw a news story on a reputable cable station reporting that a person was walking along a sidewalk with a drink with a metal straw.  The person tripped and fell with the metal straw in her mouth.   The straw penetrated the top of her mouth and into the brain.   She survived, but had many days in the hospital.   

We bring our own plastic straws, use them, and take them back to the cabin for washing and re-use.   

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Well, my problem is the glasses in which they serve virgin marys (and, I presume, bloody marys), which is my drink of choice.  They look sort of like these:

image.png.3e1a3431b864e60d3cc899e09a61bfef.png

The problem is that all of the ice stays in the lower part -- and they put LOTS of ice in them.  So when the level of drink becomes level with the ice and you tip it up you end up with a faceful of ice.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to imbibe all of the drink because of the shape of the glass. 

The problem really is that those are normally wine glasses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Companies are saving millions of dollars a year by not providing straws anymore with the added bonus of pretending they are doing it to "Save the Planet". It's brilliant!

My thoughts too.

They're not banning tampon applicators, and that's as big a problem w/ plastic as the straws.  I figure it's like when the airlines tried to ban lipstick, that lasted about a week.

Edited by knittinggirl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

My thoughts too.

They're not banning tampon applicators, and that's as big a problem w/ plastic as the straws.  I figure it's like when the airlines tried to ban lipstick, that lasted about a week.

Lipstick?  I googled and could only find references to Turkish Airlines and the color red being un-Islamic.  Is there something my search results aren’t returning?

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

My thoughts too.

You DO know there are tampons that do not use plastic applicators or applicators at all, don't you?  So, there IS a choice, even with that.  If you want to go "whole hog" on the environment, there are non-pad and non-tampon solutions out there.  So, your tampon argument is a non-starter.

It's all a choice.  Like I said, if everyone decides to do nothing because "well, it's just little old me, how much does what I do matter",  we're going to be stuck in a mire of garbage that can't degrade fast enough and isn't compostable.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

I know, in this world of overuse of everything, they ban individual bottles of water from the airports, though soda and juice etc are still sold.  What is the difference between that plastic bottle and the water bottle.  And I get it that we are overrun with plastics, but what about all the take out containers in the world?  Is my straw going to make that much difference?   Is everyone willing to give up their take out containers, their take out coffee cups and all the bottles that they consume annually?  When they do, I will forgo my straw...............just MHO 

Well, when we wait for "everyone else" to do it, no one does it because misery loves miserable company............So, I think it's good that companies & states are doing things to force it into the norm.  It's worked well with smokers--down to 13% of the US population when it was over 20% just a few years ago.

I carry a stainless steel bottle for water when I travel, I don't buy drinks in plastic bottles, and I have reusable washable bags for grocery shopping.  If I have take out, I refuse plastic cutlery.  I've bought some dishwasher safe silicone zip top bags so I can cut out using single use plastic bags.  So far, it's been quite easy.

I'm going to begin carrying my own carry out container in my car and if I eat out, I'll take it in with me in case I have leftovers.

The more people who make these incremental changes, the better for EVERYONE.

And straws make a big impact on marine habitats.

According to the Ocean Conservancy, straws are among the top 10 items found during beach clean-ups. This is because the plastic tubes are too lightweight to be easily recycled, so they become trash and often end up in the ocean, polluting the water and eventually killing seabirds, marine animals, and fish.Feb 21, 2019

https://better.net/philanthropy/get-involved/plastic-straws-harming-oceans-marine-wildlife-skip-the-straw-2/

• Like 5

10 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

It might be time for you to book another cruise and see what is really happening.  Just off the NS for 2 weeks in November and we did not get one single flyer for jewelry sale, art sale or any other shop sale.  The paper delivered to the room has decreased tremendously.

Now if they'd just stop printing up photos--EVER.  Until they do, they'll never get another photo of me.  I will only buy things on a flash drive---and they could be reviewed on the TV in your room, then uploaded to the drive by the photo people. Cha-ching!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

My thoughts too.

I guess if there is a plastic product that hopefully defines "one use" it will be tampon applicator until the more ecologically saintly among us finally get to the feminine hygiene product companies. But knowing the unquenchable need to nanny us all, they will get there. Thankfully I am past the years of giving a freakin' flip about that anymore.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

Well, when we wait for "everyone else" to do it, no one does it because misery loves miserable company............So, I think it's good that companies & states are doing things to force it into the norm.

Luckily the younger generation “gets it” and are doing something about it.

• Like 4

What do you mean the paper straws aren't individually wrapped?  Did you experience this on a ship?  I've received paper straws at restaurants around here lately, and they are coming wrapped. I like the idea of the paper straws, as I also think anything we can do to reduce ocean plastic helps.  Yes, we are on a fuel guzzling behemoth, but I quit using straws at home or eating out. I get frustrated when the water arrives with a straw already in place.  Then it's my turn to say "do it a different way if you want my business". 

As another poster mentioned, the junk paper handouts were almost absent when we did our 21 day Alaska last summer. I noticed and noted how we appreciated that.  I don't go on the ship to buy art, jewelry or perfume, so it was fine by us.  I do miss the delivery of the daily news blurb, though I really don't mind picking it up at the Lido or the front desk.

5 minutes ago, Nanner said:

What do you mean the paper straws aren't individually wrapped?  Did you experience this on a ship?  I've received paper straws at restaurants around here lately, and they are coming wrapped. I like the idea of the paper straws, as I also think anything we can do to reduce ocean plastic helps.  Yes, we are on a fuel guzzling behemoth, but I quit using straws at home or eating out. I get frustrated when the water arrives with a straw already in place.  Then it's my turn to say "do it a different way if you want my business". 

As another poster mentioned, the junk paper handouts were almost absent when we did our 21 day Alaska last summer. I noticed and noted how we appreciated that.  I don't go on the ship to buy art, jewelry or perfume, so it was fine by us.  I do miss the delivery of the daily news blurb, though I really don't mind picking it up at the Lido or the front desk.

My experience on the Veendam this month was that the paper straws were not wrapped.  They would use a paper napkin to pick it up.  We experienced lots of flyers from the spa. Way too many.

13 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I saw a news story on a reputable cable station reporting that a person was walking along a sidewalk with a drink with a metal straw.  The person tripped and fell with the metal straw in her mouth.   The straw penetrated the top of her mouth and into the brain.   She survived, but had many days in the hospital.  

Exactly why I opted for reusable silicone straws - we have a 4 year old grandson, and I didn't want the stainless steel option to be the cause of an accident, whether in a restaurant or in the car.  It takes just a minute to wash/brush them out when I return home or back to our cabin on the ship.  For travels, I carry a small amount of dish detergent in a contact lens container that lasts a couple of weeks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

Now if they'd just stop printing up photos--EVER.  Until they do, they'll never get another photo of me.  I will only buy things on a flash drive---and they could be reviewed on the TV in your room, then uploaded to the drive by the photo people. Cha-ching!

You are getting your wish.  That is how it is done on the Nieuw Statendam ... no more printed photos.  You look at your photos on the Navigator app or on the ship's monitors where the photo gallery used to be.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

Oh I so agree with this!   such a waste to print ALL those photos in the  hopes of selling a few.   I have always hated this!   It is very interesting to read all the comments here, and I truly can see both sides of things.  I will carry a silicone re-usable straw they sell them now in a small case that is easy to carry.   

• Like 2

I checked out

17 hours ago, kazu said:

They do provide paper straws on request.  No big deal IMO.

I doubt they want to sanitize re-usable straws but who knows? They could for sale on the shops next 😉 

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Lipstick?  I googled and could only find references to Turkish Airlines and the color red being un-Islamic.  Is there something my search results aren’t returning?

This was right after the liquid bomber attack in 2006.  We remember this because we were on the airplane a week later.  It was right before the 3-1-1 rule, so they eliminated all liquids.  The first week, they also forbid lipsticks.  But  by the time I flew, they allowed me to take one tube of lipstick along.    (Ladies rebelled).  We had been packing all liquids in our carry-ons, so we wouldn't have to worry about them spilling and ruining our clothes.  But later, we had to develop a new type of packing.  I guess then came the padded wine carriers (we use ours for mouthwash), water tight personal organizers, etc.

13 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

And straws make a big impact on marine habitats.

According to the Ocean Conservancy, straws are among the top 10 items found during beach clean-ups. This is because the plastic tubes are too lightweight to be easily recycled, so they become trash and often end up in the ocean, polluting the water and eventually killing seabirds, marine animals, and fish.Feb 21, 2019

https://better.net/philanthropy/get-involved/plastic-straws-harming-oceans-marine-wildlife-skip-the-straw-2/

The only straw in the list at better.net that didn't change taste was the glass, and I wouldn't put anything glass inside my mouth.  Most of our drink glasses are some type of plastic.

13 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

Royal Caribbean tried this, and it was a disorganized mess.  They had a batch of computers down in photography that didn't work well.  Needless to say, that cruise we missed our free 8 x 10.  The next cruise, they were back to printing all photos.  Personally, I think it would be better for them to print out thumbnails/order, then have us order them from the thumbnails.  They could have the full sized version on the television in the stateroom. 

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

My experience on the Veendam this month was that the paper straws were not wrapped.  They would use a paper napkin to pick it up.  We experienced lots of flyers from the spa. Way too many.

Why don't they just provide papers w/o asking?    Paper straws upon request seems more of a money grab than worries about the environment.

Edited by knittinggirl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

You are getting your wish.  That is how it is done on the Nieuw Statendam ... no more printed photos.  You look at your photos on the Navigator app or on the ship's monitors where the photo gallery used to be.

True.  We did our vow renewal on the NS in September and bought about a dozen.  I do wish they would find a way to let us see the photos without that print going across our faces though.  The printed version sometimes didn't look as I thought it would, because it was hard to see the photo with the print on it.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:08 AM, baggal said:

I'm now seriously rethinking my 14 day cruise on HAL this summer if I'm placed in the position of begging for a straw every time I order a beverage, adult or otherwise.  Its plain ridiculous.  I strongly believe that its cost-cutting disguised as an ecological advancement.

It might be cost cutting and therefore a benefit to HAL but that's not why they're doing this.  Carnival Corp, including HAL, has been extremely irresponsible lately with the environment and they been been slapped with the highest fines ever imposed by the US government against a shipping company for environmental pollution.  They are under a strict probation (aka Environmental Compliance Plan) that requires them to take these sort of measures.  So while they might advertise care for the environment, it's all smoke and mirrors to cover up for the fact they are some of the worst recent polluters.  

• Like 1