No more straws on board?

VTcruisenut

1 hour ago, VTcruisenut said:

Oh I so agree with this!   such a waste to print ALL those photos in the  hopes of selling a few.   I have always hated this!   It is very interesting to read all the comments here, and I truly can see both sides of things.  I will carry a silicone re-usable straw they sell them now in a small case that is easy to carry.   

On a thread several years ago, I complained of all the photos that go to waste.  I had rejected a pile about an inch thick on just our photos.  Someone told me they recycle the rejects.  But I guess they still have to pay for chemicals.  Still, I hate the idea of paying their high charges for something on recycled paper. 

I'd prefer they send us pages of thumbnails w/ a file name, and allow us to view them on the television/ipad.  Then we use the thumbnails to write in our order, and we get them delivered on the last night.  (I also hate having to wait in line to make my order.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It might be cost cutting and therefore a benefit to HAL but that's not why they're doing this.  Carnival Corp, including HAL, has been extremely irresponsible lately with the environment and they been been slapped with the highest fines ever imposed by the US government against a shipping company for environmental pollution.  They are under a strict probation (aka Environmental Compliance Plan) that requires them to take these sort of measures.  So while they might advertise care for the environment, it's all smoke and mirrors to cover up for the fact they are some of the worst recent polluters.  

Completely agree that the reason to eliminate straws and inconvenience passengers is anything but environmental concerns.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

According to the Ocean Conservancy, straws are among the top 10 items found during beach clean-ups. This is because the plastic tubes are too lightweight to be easily recycled, so they become trash and often end up in the ocean, polluting the water and eventually killing seabirds, marine animals, and fish.Feb 21, 2019

I propose that we don't throw our plastic straws in the ocean. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

You are getting your wish.  That is how it is done on the Nieuw Statendam ... no more printed photos.  You look at your photos on the Navigator app or on the ship's monitors where the photo gallery used to be.

I kind of liked looking at all the photos of all the new friends we had made on the cruise. 

13 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I checked out

The only straw in the list at better.net that didn't change taste was the glass, and I wouldn't put anything glass inside my mouth.  Most of our drink glasses are some type of plastic.

Well, that's full on malarkey..........not from you, but from whomever says that about glass straws [they must have stock in a company that makes them]. I have both rigid plastic and silicone straws.  Just like the plastic straws you get at any fast food place, NEITHER one "changes the taste".  They can't.  They're tasteless and inert. 

Now, I don't want to deal with the stainless steel straws--with or without silicone tips---but that's just a personal choice.  I do like the silicone straws because they are a wider bore [great for frozen drinks] and can be rolled up small--two will fit in a tiny pouch.  Mine are a solid length--no indents for folding--so I'll have to see how long they last with frequent use.

As for drink cups, the lexan is lightweight and can be treated much the same as glass [dishwasher safe, etc.] and they're lightweight and nearly unbreakable.  For disposables, I like the biodegradables  that use a corn resin, but they're still expensive.  The good thing is that as more people look for better products, the costs will go down and selection will go up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you really want to be sure    you will have a plastic   straw for your beverages when on the ship.. get a  package of them at the dollar store and bring them along with you.  I sincerely think it unlikely any crew person will request you not use your own straw.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

This scares me!  Is even possessing straws in California against the law?  Will they arrest people for just carrying straws?

When straws are outlawed, only outlaws will have straws. 🤣

Aug-4-18-Black-Market.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 5