4 people in a sky suite? What do you think?

CarolinaMamma

Ours is a family of four with two teens -- 13 and 16.

In August, we were all four in an S1 on Equinox. We were absolutely fine, other than the kids having to share the sofa, which they did without complaint.

While onboard, we decided to book Edge for Christmas, and we decided to do two C1 cabins, only the second time out of over a dozen cruises we have had two cabins. And the other time, it was adjoining interiors, so it was really like one big cabin (with two bathrooms)

About halfway through last week, I told my husband I thought we should always book two separate cabins from here on out. I think we all enjoyed it more.

19 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I've sailed with kids (two balcony rooms) on X, without kids (AQ, Sky suites) on X, and with kids in Haven on NCL.

Of the three options you suggest, despite the fact that I prefer X to NCl, I would choose the 2 bed 2 bath Haven villa in this circumstance.

More room, Haven benefits (in my mind better than X's suite benefits although restaurant is only ok), lovely bath in the master bedroom with ocean views...  Perfect.

Tell me more about why you prefer Haven benefits to X suite benefits. I’m curious! 

21 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thanks for the candid opinions! 

We can also get a 2-bedroom (And 2 bathroom!) family villa in the Haven on NCL the same week for about the same price, so I’m considering that as well, but I like Celebrity better,

Having done an Aft S1 (which is a better laid out cabin than the bulk of SS) and having done the 2 bedrooms on NCL a couple times (and doing it again in 2 weeks) I would vote for the Haven cabin in a heartbeat.  A complete (but small) second bedroom, a full second bath, full size dining table, sofa and 2 chairs, 4 TVs, etc. etc. plus Haven benefits for a similar price would sway us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Tell me more about why you prefer Haven benefits to X suite benefits. I’m curious! 

just to be clear, this comment only stands true when I am traveling with my kids. On Norwegian escape, and several of the other Norwegian ships, the Haven has its own separate area. It’s own pool. Two small hot tub inside and one small one up on the outside deck. And inside row of solarium like area with loungers above the pool deck. It’s own restaurant, which admittedly has a limited menu which doesn’t really change, but it’s small and quiet and nice and close. It has its own small lounge area With its own bar which I really liked. I generally felt that the Norwegian ship was too crowded and loud for my taste, the Haven was a perfect respite from this. Well I suppose that some of the celebrity ships have an outdoor retreat deck, I have not yet experienced this, but from my reading it sounds just like a sundeck with no pool and it doesn’t seem that exciting to me.  Also don’t Really see the appeal of Michael’s club, the Haven bar was convenient because it was all within the same haven complex. If the kids were down for a nap my husband or I could slip down to the bar and get a glass of wine to enjoy on the balcony while they slept.  Generally most of the time when I slid my key card into the Haven door I felt like I was breathing a huge sigh of relief. If you are extroverted and like crowds it may not be as big of a difference, for us it finally felt like a nice respite.  Plus the room that you’re describing, while isn’t perfect, it does lack a little bit of soundproofing, I think it is still a better arrangement and the bathroom was quite nice.

Edited by the_dylaness

On 12/29/2019 at 6:27 PM, CarolinaMamma said:

Thanks for the candid opinions! 

We can also get a 2-bedroom (And 2 bathroom!) family villa in the Haven on NCL the same week for about the same price, so I’m considering that as well, but I like Celebrity better,

Take it!

Our family (with a then 13 and 17 yo) was fine in an S2 on Equinox 2 years ago for a B2B, though I agree it probably depends on family dynamics ... we're usually so busy with work/school, isolated in separate rooms at home, that we all enjoy cozy quarters on our vacay (son even said so!). Sharing one bathroom wasn't a problem. But the size of your teens might be a factor; this summer, with pretty much adult sized teens now, we were in a CS on Edge and it was definitely roomier, but still cozy!

On 12/29/2019 at 5:37 PM, CarolinaMamma said:

Traveling with our 2 teens and debating between 2 balconies or a sky suite on either Edge or Equinox. The pricing is coming out very close, once you factor in that we like to upgrade to non-MDR dining most of the time. Has anyone tried this? Would we feel cramped and go crazy?  I see that some SS have trundle beds, but I don’t know how to figure out which ones. 

We’ve always booked 2 balconies, except for one time when we had a family veranda on Infinity when the kids were little. I’m a little hesitant to share a room and bathroom with our kids, but the suite perks, quiet sun deck, better restaurant and nicer balcony are so appealing.  

Honestly, IMO the suite amenities are wonderful and all four of you would love them- the lounge, suite deck luminae, butler and other perks.- While a sky suite is a decent size,  only one bathroom for four IMO might be a problem.  If the teens can work out a shower schedule with you guys, and perhaps shower in the Spa, it might be fine.  Call Celebrity to identify the suites that work for four guests.

Also consider after you book the sky suite , participate in the move up program and try for a bigger suite- The Royal and Penthouse have two bathroom and lots of room if you can snag one at a good price!  Enjoy

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Honestly, IMO the suite amenities are wonderful and all four of you would love them- the lounge, suite deck luminae, butler and other perks.- While a sky suite is a decent size,  only one bathroom for four IMO might be a problem.  If the teens can work out a shower schedule with you guys, and perhaps shower in the Spa, it might be fine.  Call Celebrity to identify the suites that work for four guests.

Also consider after you book the sky suite , participate in the move up program and try for a bigger suite- The Royal and Penthouse have two bathroom and lots of room if you can snag one at a good price!  Enjoy

As mentioned...spa showers on EDGE are in the private thermal suites area!  Did not see any in the gym or elsewhere...other than out in the open  in the Solarium...

A bigger suite, if prices work out, would be great! Or what about two reg cabins..one balc and one inside?

25 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Are kids allowed in the Haven pool area?

Yes but that is NCL.  The edge has a suite deck which is wonderful!  But showers are available on the Equinox and open to all.  Not sure about the edge as I didn't attempt to use the showers.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I would go for two adjacent balcony staterooms (connecting) with an inside door between them that you could leave open most of the time if you wish.  They might also open up the balcony partition between the two.  That would be the space of a CS suite without the cost and you would have 2 bathrooms.