which would you choose

bluesky8130

1 hour ago, bluesky8130 said:

so we are thinking of doing a Panama Canal cruise in October and we have the choice of NCL Sun or NCL Joy. We have done both large and smaller ships...similar ports as well

Which would you choose and why

On our first (and so far only) cruise through the Panama Canal we wanted to go through the original locks....which means the smaller ships. So therefore  in your scenario we would have  picked the Sun.

29 minutes ago, Cnew405 said:

I would personally choose the Sun. I love that ship. We did Canal cruise in October several years ago on the Star in an aft cabin, was so awesome. Weather was amazing. 

We too were in an aft cabin on the Star...loved it.

39 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

Just curious.  Been through the canal twice, and I would really like to see the new locks.  Why doesn't anyone want to do that?

I don’t think people are saying they don’t want to go through the new locks, but rather that their preference would be the old locks, at least for a first transit (and folks may be assuming it would be the OP’s first). And that’s probably  because of the history of the original locks and also because mules are used, which makes the process that much more interesting. (No mules in the new locks.) 

9 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Just curious.  Been through the canal twice, and I would really like to see the new locks.  Why doesn't anyone want to do that?

For a first time or one time only cruiser the old locks are more interesting than the new.  I've done two canal cruises in the old locks and if I ever do another PC cruise I will definitely choose a ship using the new locks. 

I've already booked a Panama cruise for 2021 & I chose the Bliss - which is essentially the same as the Joy.  For me, the Observation Lounge was a huge selling point.  I'm sensitive to heat/sun so having a great view in the air conditioning seems like an awesome option.  

My choice would be the Joy only because it is (relatively) new. And the observation lounge would be an added attraction....although I don't know how much one can see immediately down to platforms from the sides of the lounge. I would think that the views are only from the front and away.

11 hours ago, Megalyn said:

I've already booked a Panama cruise for 2021 & I chose the Bliss - which is essentially the same as the Joy.  For me, the Observation Lounge was a huge selling point.  I'm sensitive to heat/sun so having a great view in the air conditioning seems like an awesome option.  

The Sun also has an Observation Lounge (renamed to the Spinnaker Lounge) - although it is small compared to the Bliss or Joy.  The Sun does have a unique feature outside in that you can walk outside the Observation Lounge at the front of the ship.  On our Panama Canal day on the Sun, my favorite spot ended up being the Great Outdoors at the aft of the ship so we could watch the canal gates, mules and other ships next to us and behind us.