Packing secrets

Scubadoc

A few things that may or may not have been mentioned that I take everywhere when I travel, cruise or not:

A sandwich ZipLock with some bandages, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic cream, bug bite cream, Advil, Immodium, Zantac, cough drops, allergy pills (Claritan or Allegra type), and a few days worth of DayQuil and NyQuil.  It's enough to take care of those pesky things that need something but not a trip to a doctor.

A mini flashlight

A mini sewing kit

An eyeglass repair kit

A Sharpie

A pad of sticky notes
A highlighter pen

A small padlock

A carabiner

Foot Glide (prevents blisters)

Wow .... if I brought everything mentioned on this thread I'd need to bring a bigger suitcase. Keeping it to just my carryon and purse. (No it's not one the size of a backpack). I do bring a credit card with plenty of 'room' on it. But then I only go for up to 3 weeks at a time and they do my laundry. 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:01 PM, DormMom said:

Clothespins

Magnets as all walls are magnetic

Small roll of duct tape (repair shoe, suitcase, even friend's brace)

PSD got my broken suitcase fixed but I like the idea of duct tape (it was 18" but I've upgraded to a 20" as it was too small)

It is difficult for us to comprehend all of the travel  items that people recommend.

We each travel with an international size roller board-two inline wheels.  It has been this way for the past eight years of retirement.  One week or three months.  Independent travel and cruises.  Asia, Africa, Europe, South/Central America, Australia. Never locked our bags, nor did we in prior decades of frequent business and leisure travel.

Never been stuck for anything-we have always been able to fix, get fixed, or source any item while traveling.  Often better, more easily, less expensive than we would at home in NA.  

The only issue is that DW gets tired of the same wardrobe choices after about six weeks.   It sounds like some people are akin to traveling general stores.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, Essiesmom said:

4. multi-plug/surge protector for additional electrical outlets (I've used this one successfully for many years) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017HF3XO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You surge protected device is a banned item.  surge protectors are not needed onboard ships, and are dangerous.  EM

You know, I'm really glad you pointed that out. I remember hearing this once before, but I could never find an explicit reference to it on the Princess.com website. I even asked an engineering officer one time when we were on a ship's tour, and he said it was fine (though that was a few years ago).

But, a quick search on Princess.com just now revealed that you are, in deed, correct (see screenshot below - list of prohibited items in the "what to pack" section).  Interestingly, I have used it for nearly 10 years, out in the open, and no cabin steward or anyone has ever said anything. But, in recent years and on the newer ships, I've actually been opting for the Type F adapter instead. I guess that's a better suggestion, in light of the official rule. I stand corrected.  🙂

image.thumb.png.5bb4b60fbd157500e269bbf3205ec40c.png

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Wow .... if I brought everything mentioned on this thread I'd need to bring a bigger suitcase. Keeping it to just my carryon and purse. (No it's not one the size of a backpack). I do bring a credit card with plenty of 'room' on it. But then I only go for up to 3 weeks at a time and they do my laundry. 

Everything on my list fits into a Quart sized baggie with room to spare.  Speaking of which, I always had a few extra Zip Locks as well.  No space, no weight, and boy have hey come in handy over the years.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ducklite said:

A Sharpie

A pad of sticky notes
A highlighter pen

A small padlock

A carabiner

1 hour ago, clo said:

What do you do with these?

Sharpie: a writing instrument with permanent, waterproof ink. Used to write with.

Pad of sticky notes (also known as post it notes): a stack of small sheets of paper with a strip of low tack adhesive on  the back. Used  to write notes upon.

Highlighter pen: a type of writing instrument with vivid translucent ink used to draw attention to printed text, such as a  daily activity sheet

Small padlock: a portable type of lock used to secure an item from use, theft, or harm

Carabiner: a coupling link with a safety closure. It has multiple uses besides outdoor sports, including but not limited to:. 

• To hang bags or baskets.
  • As a keychain 
  • To organize hair ties or rubber bands.
  • To attach larger items to a backpack (such as an extra water bottle).
  • To link gear while travelling
Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mom says said:

Sharpie: a writing instrument with permanent, waterproof ink. Used to write with.

Pad of sticky notes (also known as post it notes): a stack of small sheets of paper with a strip of low tack adhesive on  the back. Used  to write notes upon.

Highlighter pen: a type of writing instrument with vivid translucent ink used to draw attention to printed text, such as a  daily activity sheet

Small padlock: a portable type of lock used to secure an item from use, theft, or harm

Carabiner: a coupling link with a safety closure. It has multiple uses besides outdoor sports, including but not limited to:. 

• To hang bags or baskets.
  • As a keychain 
  • To organize hair ties or rubber bands.
  • To attach larger items to a backpack (such as an extra water bottle).
  • To link gear while travelling

Yes, dear. I guess I should have asked what they do with those things on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes, dear. I guess I should have asked what they do with those things on a cruise.

I use them all the time on a cruise.

Sharpie to write on sticky notes for hubby or room steward.

Highlighter for the Compass.

Carabiner ( all this time did not know that was the name) to attach straps of my beach bag to lounges.

For cruisers that need super glue, the Dollar Tree sells one time use tubes, pack of 4 or 5 I believe.  We carry them ever since I had my frames break on my reading glasses. Now I also carry an extra pair of reading glasses.

Like all the ideas that have been listed.  Some we already do, some we don't need. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Sharpie to write on sticky notes for hubby or room steward.

Highlighter for the Compass.

Carabiner ( all this time did not know that was the name) to attach straps of my beach bag to lounges.

I don't need Sharpies or highlighters of Post-Its cause there's a pen and note paper in our cabin (or hotel room). Is the lounge thingie for onshore for security? Now that makes sense. Since we both hate sun and sand, not an issue for us 🙂

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't need Sharpies or highlighters of Post-Its cause there's a pen and note paper in our cabin (or hotel room). Is the lounge thingie for onshore for security? Now that makes sense. Since we both hate sun and sand, not an issue for us 🙂

In the past several years, there has not been any pens or paper in our cabins.  Whether at the beach or on the ship by pool, I like the idea of having bag attached to lounge.  Just a deterrent.  Love my highlighter.

• Haha 1

In terms of unusual packing things it would just be a Scrubba Bag as it saves on laundry and I just use soap in the room since it cleans just as well as any detergent. I also carry noise cancelling headphones but that is mostly for the flight as I found it is better than ear plugs for peace and quiet. 

51 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

noise cancelling headphones

I bought them after a splurge to business class and, wow, what a difference it made. I've never really been able to watch any film/show/etc on a plane cause the noise of the engines gives me problems. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

What do you do with these?

The Sharpie has come in handy many times when I've needed to write a note for a door or even something that will more readily be seen.  

A pad of sticky notes--these come in handy for note pads or to leave a note attached to a mirror or door.  Doubles as a note pad when staying someplace that doesn't provide pad and paper.

Highlighters are very useful on the daily schedule to highlight things you want to attend.

The padlock can be used to secure zippers that like to open on their own, or as an extra deterrent from prying fingers at left luggage facilities. 

I've used the carabiner for everything from clipping my bathing suit to a shower hook when there was no line (kept it dripping inside the tub rather than onto the floor) to clipping the handles of my "small personal item" to my rolling bag to keep it from sliding off or "walking away."  I've also clipped the handles of a couple bags together to make it awkward for someone to try to deftly walk away with them when they've been in a luggage rack at the end of a train car.  I know I've used it for a million other uses.  It "lives" clipped to the top handle on my toiletry bag, weighs under an ounce, and when you need one, you really do.

14 hours ago, clo said:

We typically rent Air BNB's, and they don't usually come with a pad and paper.  Additionally a Post-It can be attached to another persons door, or the mirror in your room to make sure the person it's meant for actually sees it. 

People bring a lot of nonsense, but there really is no right or wrong answer.

For me, it's bringing whatever will help my vacation and/or save me money vs buying in the general store. Snorkel, water bottle, sunscreen, any otcs, will all save me time and money.

• Like 2

When we first started cruising we brought way too much stuff, we have been able to eliminate many things that we first thought were essential. Your room steward can supply many things in an emergency, different kinds of tape, glue, writing utensils etc. We have paired things down so we can easily do a 7 night cruise with just a carry on each. I guess my point is do not stress too much over what too bring just enjoy. Having said all this my wife (a retired nurse) still brings enough supplies to perform miner surgery. LOL  

8 hours ago, ducklite said:

We typically rent Air BNB's, and they don't usually come with a pad and paper.  Additionally a Post-It can be attached to another persons door, or the mirror in your room to make sure the person it's meant for actually sees it. 

Thanks for your comments. One of us almost has a scrap of paper and a pen if we need to make a note. But we pretty much 100% travel just the two of us so don't need to leave notes for others.

42 minutes ago, clo said:

we pretty much 100% travel just the two of us so don't need to leave notes for others.

^^THIS^^

When I was the organizer for a 10-person family cruise, I brought so much "just in case" stuff I had to check a suitcase! Also it was so much stress, I decided to take fewer members (at a time) on more different cruises!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

^^THIS^^

When I was the organizer for a 10-person family cruise, I brought so much "just in case" stuff I had to check a suitcase! Also it was so much stress, I decided to take fewer members (at a time) on more different cruises!

It's just us and our two daughters with spouses and two kids each. I can't imagine any of them being interested in a cruise so not likely an issue for us. PS: Can you spell "delegation"????? LOL.