Packing secrets

Scubadoc

1 hour ago, clo said:

It's just us and our two daughters with spouses and two kids each. I can't imagine any of them being interested in a cruise so not likely an issue for us. PS: Can you spell "delegation"????? LOL.

I have two kids.  They were elite on Princess before they were 18.  Now they each have two kids.  My 14 YO grandson has been on 7 cruises at 56 days and the youngest who is now 8 has only been on 1 at 10 days.  We have always considered cruising a family vacation.  My DH and I are getting ready to go on our Princess 31st cruise at 264 days.  We have cruised by ourselves, just immediate family and kids and extended family and friends up to 26 people.   I can't imagine any of them NOT being interested in a cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

I can't imagine any of them NOT being interested in a cruise.

They'd rather rock climb, backcountry ski, etc. To be in the water they'll go to a river and kayak etc. Different strokes.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:09 AM, clo said:

I bought them after a splurge to business class and, wow, what a difference it made. I've never really been able to watch any film/show/etc on a plane cause the noise of the engines gives me problems. 

You will also find yourself less fatigued after flights.  A lot of the fatigue is from the noise.

I wear ear plugs or have my NC headphones on at all times.  I turn my head to sleep, so have to switch to ear plugs.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, clo said:

Thanks for your comments. One of us almost has a scrap of paper and a pen if we need to make a note. But we pretty much 100% travel just the two of us so don't need to leave notes for others.

Don't you ever split up?  We spend most of our time together, but sometimes go our separate ways.  He'll go craft beer tasting while I go to the opera or ballet.  A month ago he went out to explore while I took a nap.  I woke up and decided to walk a couple of blocks to Starbucks (don't judge) for a Vanilla Latte.  I left him a note on a Sticky so he'd know where I was. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, MissP22 said:

That's a new one for me. 

I assume you're going to lock you suitcase to protect all those other unnecessary items you'll have with you. 😄

Obviously you don't travel much or you'd understand how a small padlock can come in handy as a first level deterrent on trains for example.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Obviously you don't travel much or you'd understand how a small padlock can come in handy as a first level deterrent on trains for example.  

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

But if it make you feel safe then go right ahead & lock them up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We travel enough to realize that the strongest padlock doesn't do a bit of good against anyone going into your suitcase anytime they feel like it. 

Maybe you missed my earlier post.  

I use them for zippers that like to don't like to stay closed.  We use them when placing items like a backpack on a luggage rack on a train where it's in the sight line of many, but not necessarily us. 

We aren't fools and know that a ballpoint pen can penetrate almost any zipper, but also know that when things are in plain sight of peoples eyes, a thief will always choose the lowest hanging fruit.

• Like 5

...in Italy it is pointless to put a padlock on your suitcase when on a train.  

Why...thieves take the entire suitcase.  Much easier that messing about opening a bag.

We have traveled frequently, internationally and have never used a padlock.   Never saw the point.  Never had anything stolen.  No issue now since we only travel with carry on.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

Don't you ever split up?  We spend most of our time together, but sometimes go our separate ways.  He'll go craft beer tasting while I go to the opera or ballet.  A month ago he went out to explore while I took a nap.  I woke up and decided to walk a couple of blocks to Starbucks (don't judge) for a Vanilla Latte.  I left him a note on a Sticky so he'd know where I was. 

We just use already used paper. We're kinda into "save the planet" mode 🙂

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

By this standard you should never lock your front door of your house or your car door because someone could punch out the window and get inside. Sure locks aren't fool proof; I think everyone knows that!

31 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

By this standard you should never lock your front door of your house or your car door because someone could punch out the window and get inside. Sure locks aren't fool proof; I think everyone knows that!

Actually we never lock our windows at home and even the locks on our doors can be bypassed without doing much damage. We all know that if a person doesn't care how much damage they do anything can be easily compromised. 

Locking a suitcase only indicates your carrying something of value. 

A car is different story. Unless someone steals the whole car at least it provides some determent to a thief. 

2 hours ago, iancal said:

...in Italy it is pointless to put a padlock on your suitcase when on a train.  

Why...thieves take the entire suitcase.  Much easier that messing about opening a bag.

We have traveled frequently, internationally and have never used a padlock.   Never saw the point.  Never had anything stolen.  No issue now since we only travel with carry on.

That's why we often will carabiner/padlock a couple of them together so it would be too awkward to try to grab one and bolt with it.

5 minutes ago, ducklite said:

We don't carry random scraps of paper when we travel.

We don't make a point of "carrying' it just seems to be about. Either in a bag or in an apt. or cruise cabin.

I've learned that clear resealable plastic bags are great for containing and finding all those little things that go into the suitcase. Electronic gizmos in one bag, underwear & socks in another.
Meds. Toiletries. You get the idea.
Then unpacking into the cabin drawers is a breeze too (keep things in the bags), as is packing up at the end of the cruise.
And I can find all those little things when I need them!
They help too if you're pulled over at security.
And in these days of avoiding plastic waste, the bags go back into the kitchen drawer at home to be reused.
Oh, and I also take a largish, empty plastic grocery bag to collect laundry in.
Total extra weight and space: negligible.

Edited by Canuker

49 minutes ago, Canuker said:

And in these days of avoiding plastic waste, the bags go back into the kitchen drawer at home to be reused.

We have a "travel box" and they go in there after a trip. I will say, however, that we used packing cubes for a recent trip. Only for clothes but are thinking about picking up a few more for the kind of things you mention. Re security we don't have anything in our carryon that they're interested in.

1 hour ago, clo said:

We don't make a point of "carrying' it just seems to be about. Either in a bag or in an apt. or cruise cabin.

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We tend to tell each other where we are going or what our plans are for the day. We do not find the need to leave notes for each other for the hour or four we are apart.

We don't do it all the time, but in my example where I was taking a nap and then decided to go get a latte while my husband was out--if he had come back and I was gone, he might get a bit worried if I hadn't left a note.  It's just the courteous thing to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

We don't do it all the time, but in my example where I was taking a nap and then decided to go get a latte while my husband was out--if he had come back and I was gone, he might get a bit worried if I hadn't left a note.  It's just the courteous thing to do.

I suppose you don't have a mobile and do what you need to do.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Once I thought about it I realized that about the only times I can remember is when in summer he plays golf at 6AM. If he fed he dog he left a note "fed Gypsy" or "didn't feed Gypsy." We reused them day after day :)

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise.

We just highlight the patter each day & shoot a picture of it.

It provides a quick reference of each others daily activities.

That being said the location feature on the Medallion ships provides locations for cabin mates. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

There would be no hiding  at any time unless of course you left the medallion back in the cabin.😋

Or simply wrapped it in some aluminum foil as you left the cabin.