Bergen Hotel Tips Before Coastal Cruise

SargassoPirate

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have a Viking Ocean cruise that terminates in Bergen.  We will then be in Bergen for three days before boarding a Hurtigruten round-trip coastal cruise.  It will be our first time in Bergen.  Any ideas on a hotel within walking distance of the port?  

Thanks in advance.

I’ll suggest  the Bryggen Area - Central location in Bergen - do not know which port Viking is using - Hurtigruten terminal is 20 minutes walk from Bryggen.

Possible hotels are Hanseatic, Clarion, Thon, First Marin, Radisson and more.
I did use Hanseatic hotel at my latest stay.

23 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I’d recommend the Rosenkrantz...located near the Hurtigruten dock.  It’s a Thon hotel, so maybe the same one hallasm recommended. I don’t know of any hotels near the Hurtigruten pier.

“Located near the VIKING dock”....not Hurtigruten....sorry.

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

So Viking and Hurtigruten use different terminals? 

Yes, different terminals - Viking is likely using Bergen Cruise Terminal while Hurtigruten is operating their own terminal in Bergen. Then Bryggen will be a good split - almost half way between the two terminals.

Edited by hallasm

19 hours ago, hallasm said:

Yes, different terminals - Viking is likely using Bergen Cruise Terminal while Hurtigruten is operating their own terminal in Bergen. Then Bryggen will be a good split - almost half way between the two terminals.

Thanks, hallasm.  I've made some notes and will continue my research.  Sounds like Bryggen will be a good split between the two docking locations, and nicely located for a city stay between the two cruises.

Happy and Prosperous New Year to you!

It is a good distance from the Bergen Terminal (Viking, HAL, Princess, etc.) and the Hurtigruten terminal. When I sailed on Hurtigruten, I stayed in an AirBnB near that terminal, and took the bus into the main area of Bergen. Keep in mind that it rains a lot in Bergen, so if you plan on doing a lot of walking, be prepared with good rain gear.

16 hours ago, Splinter said:

Here is an aerial view of Bergen Harbor, showing where the two separate terminals are and their relationship to the Bryggen area.

Bergen Harbor.jpg

Thanks, Splinter, that is some valuable intel. I'll print a copy for my trip planning folder.

We stayed at the First Marin.  Found the location good for restaurants, and wandering around the Bryggen area.  Close to the  Tourism office, and the Funicular. We walked to the Hurtigruten dock - but sent our luggage with our cousins as one of them not particularly mobile (especially with cobblestones....).  When we returned, it was pouring out, so hailed a cab at the terminal back to the hotel. 

Our flight the next morning was very early - the hotel provided us with a bag breakfast (too early for the included buffet) - and then we walked over to the bus stop to catch the bus to the airport. 

Fran

I don’t know if this is helpful, however I initially booked an extension through Viking at Bergen and they booked us into the Norge Scandic Hotel. I haven’t taken the cruise yet, so can’t tell you what it is like. 

I should also point out, I have now cancelled the extension because it is accommodation for 2 nights, breakfast, airport pickup and port drop off for $699 per person. The accommodation is $500 (total) for two nights, so $900 for a couple of days of breakfast and two cab rides seemed a little excessive to me. Perhaps someone here can tell me if I am missing something though.

26 minutes ago, Mum_and_me said:

2 nights, breakfast, airport pickup and port drop off for $699 per person

Certainly a bit expensive - Hotel Norge by Scandic is US$200 per night for a standard double room including breakfast. 
Taxi from Airport should not exceed US$100 - For Cruise Terminal taxi should not exceed US$50 - not more than a total of of US$ 500. Rail and bus also available from Airport - take a bit longer - price US$ 5 pp.

prices might change depending on week days and time.

I can certainly recommend few days in Bergen prior to the your cruise, Very nice city - but book hotel yourself - A hotel at Bryggen is in walking distance from terminal.

That's one of the reasons I did an AirBnB in Bergen. Many available for less than $125/night in the Bryggen area, plus an additional plus of a nice Norwegian host who can help you get a cab and find good places to eat that aren't expensive tourist traps.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:33 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks, hallasm.  I've made some notes and will continue my research.  Sounds like Bryggen will be a good split between the two docking locations, and nicely located for a city stay between the two cruises.

Happy and Prosperous New Year to you!

Curious why you want to stay near the cruise port. Bergen is a really nice place with great food!

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious why you want to stay near the cruise port. Bergen is a really nice place with great food!

I don't understand the question clo......See the map in post #12.  It shows how the cruise ship port and the Hurtigruten port are both right in Bergen close to all the downtown sites, restaurants and hotels!  Very convenient for most visitors!  I'll be there in July and so looking forward to visiting again where my grandparents came from!

~Nancy 

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I don't understand the question clo......See the map in post #12.  It shows how the cruise ship port and the Hurtigruten port are both right in Bergen close to all the downtown sites, restaurants and hotels!  Very convenient for most visitors!  I'll be there in July and so looking forward to visiting again where my grandparents came from!

~Nancy 

Depends on your definition of "walking distance" with luggage in tow. We took a taxi to the port and never considered the distance.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, oakridger said:

~Nancy 

The map may be a little deceptive, as to get from the Bryggen area to the Hurtigruten port requires walking up and down some pretty steep hills or stairways unless you walk the long way around from the train station. A lot of it is cobblestones too, so not so easy with luggage, and someone who is not a young person.

Thanks Splinter.  Yes, I wouldn't want to walk from the cruise port to the Hurtigruten port with or without luggage....as you mentioned, I am not a young person!!!  I guess the point I wanted to make was that the Bryggen area is geographically between the two ports and central.  I will be staying at the Clarion Admiral Hotel right next to the ferry dock the night before I take the Expressboat to Balestrand (it has a great view across to Bryggen). When I return I'll stay at the Bergen Børs Hotel which is right by the fish market.  There are many nice places to stay right in that area.  I'm so excited to be going there!

~Nancy

I suppose it does get crowded like all the popular tourist areas anywhere in the world.  Depends on when you are there.  The last time I was in Bergen, way back in June 2005, it was not really bad at all. I don't enjoy shoulder to shoulder crowds so I just avoid any areas that are like that! That's why part of my visit to Norway will be in a rural area at a beautiful house on a fjord an hour out of Bergen......I can hear Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite in my mind now..........

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=grieg's+spring+morning+song&view=detail&mid=41E6B132652FBE13278A41E6B132652FBE13278A&FORM=VIRE

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Bergen

We had a crazy good dinner there. From a renowned chef. Now I have to find that. We're so looking forward to being back in Bergen. AFTER the train from Oslo which everyone says is amazing (a word I use sparingly).