Papeete- buying wine at Carrefours

Petoonya

Have been to Papeete many times but never to Caffefours to buy wine, but plan to in April- need info about buying wine there. We're on an 18 day cruise and won't be able to replenish wine from Papeete until about the 10th day of the cruise in Maui.

Trying to decide if I want to buy Carrefours anyway and pay $25 corkage vs. pay $50-60 bottle from the ship cellar.

It's an Oceania ship and generally the markup is 20-25%, so a $15 wine is $60 on the ship. But in the past we've been pretty happy with what we buy on the cheap $50-60/bottle.

Has anyone shopped for wine at Carrefours? Can I get a decent $15-20 wine there like I can at Trader Joe's?

I'm flying from Portland OR so max I want to bring in luggage is 2 bottles. On an 18 day cruise we might go through 10 bottles.

Thanks for your help.

Think I've actually got it figured out with help from Oceania wine connoisseurs. 🙂

Will probably forget about Carrefours and just go with ship's wine choices. I can stock up midway through the cruise with Costco's wine. Between that and Whole Foods in Maui we'll come out fine.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Think I've actually got it figured out with help from Oceania wine connoisseurs. 🙂

Will probably forget about Carrefours and just go with ship's wine choices. I can stock up midway through the cruise with Costco's wine. Between that and Whole Foods in Maui we'll come out fine.

Thanks.

In case you change your mind, we purchased wine at le Cave in Pape’ete. Short walk from ship on rue du collette across from city hall. Prices started at $15 for wine from Spain. Large selection of more expensive. We also purchased some at a small grocery on trip around Tahiti when we came back on back to back. It was less—maybe $12-14, so think Carrefours would have a decent selection. All was drinkable, we are not total wine snobs but like decent wine. We used in our cabin while getting ready for dinner so didn’t pay corkage. If you have to pay corkage, would probably just buy the ship’s wine 🤔 Have a great time and thanks again for all the great advice we received from you!

4 minutes ago, salmn said:

In case you change your mind, we purchased wine at le Cave in Pape’ete.

Thanks very much for your help 🙂 Looked up La Cave de Papeete and thanks to you will make a stop there and check it out.

Not big drinkers but a lovely dinner feels lacking without a little wine.

(What is you next cruise?)

The  Carrefour's have a huge selection, especially the one the Moana Nui Shopping center Past the IC Tahiti on the frontage road along the highway). French wine, wine from Spain, New Zealand and Australia. Prices are very good by FP standards. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Thanks TBK. Have been to that one but wasn't looking for wine at the time. If we go will probably end up at the one closer to the port as that's where our friends want to go. Happy New Year to you!

And appreciate hearing that prices are good for FP!

Edited by Petoonya

5 hours ago, dandee2 said:

go see my post here

What a post!!!! Thanks so much. I couldn't have asked for more. Looks like a fun place to while a way a few hours in.

I got some good information about purchasing French wine on the Oceania board where I hang out but it's wonderful to know that they have NZ wines too that I understand more about. (California- guess I'll have to bring with me!)

Really appreciate this great info.

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, dandee2 said:

Thanks,

Just created an album of photos taken this summer at Carrefour Faa'a - Pacific Plaza (near the airport). The shopping centre also has a Vini store (SIM and phone) a pharmacy, a snack bar and clothing shops.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DSjG2xWJQeuTWtB48

Thanks Dandee. It's within walking distance of Fare Suisse where we're staying too. We've missed going each time we've been in Papeete before.

Now if you could lend your expertise choosing French wine I would really be all set, lol.

I am missing Heiva again and it kills me! Starts July 3. I watch videos on Youtube of it but as you've written before there is nothing like being there. I'm glad you remind people not to miss it.