18 year old

6 minutes ago, sooo nice!! said:

My sons 18 year old friend is joining us on a cruise.Does he need anything besides his passport to board the ship?

You probably won't need it, but I would get the notarized letter from the parents allowing you to take hom on the trip, make medical decisions, and agree to waivers.

1 hour ago, sooo nice!! said:

My sons 18 year old friend is joining us on a cruise.Does he need anything besides his passport to board the ship?

If I were you, I would make  sure that the parents have purchased travel  insurance for him.   I would also take photos of his passport (info page) on my phone.  I would also check to see how he intends to pay his SeaPass account, if you are not treating him.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

...  I would also take photos of his passport (info page) on my phone. 

OMG, what a great idea!  We’ve never thought to take a copy of our own passports on our phones, just in case needed when ashore.  

Thanks, M-M for the suggestion !

(we’ve carried old paper photocopies.  Digital so much more convenient) 

Edited by BSocial

2 minutes ago, BSocial said:

OMG, what a great idea!  We’ve never thought to take a copy of our own passports on our phones, just in case needed when ashore.  

I also email myself and anyone we are traveling with a copy of everyone's passport. You never know when a smartphone will die.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I also email myself and anyone we are traveling with a copy of everyone's passport. You never know when a smartphone will die.

Nooooooo!  Smartphones are immortal!  Don't even THINK that!  Arrrgghhhh - you have just jinxed me!  😉 

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Nooooooo!  Smartphones are immortal!  Don't even THINK that!  Arrrgghhhh - you have just jinxed me!  😉 

I had to send my iPhone back to apple to repair the modem.  I couldn't get cell service only wifi worked. It's a known issue so they fixed it for free. 2 weeks using an old flip phone that barely held a charge. I thought I was going to die.  The flip phone was useless and I only carried it around for an emergency. I was off the grid and didn't like it.

3 hours ago, BSocial said:

(we’ve carried old paper photocopies.  Digital so much more convenient) 

I know this doesn’t pertain to the kids.   But just another idea. I. write down emergency numbers on a piece of paper then take pictures of them just in case. 
who remembers numbers anymore lol.  

• Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 3:54 PM, Host Clarea said:

You probably won't need it, but I would get the notarized letter from the parents allowing you to take hom on the trip, make medical decisions, and agree to waivers.

Why on earth would you need parental permission for anything for an 18yo ADULT???

My son was lobbing grenades for Uncle Sam at 18yo, and I didn't have to sign any waivers for him, because he wasn't a minor anymore.  

For the OP, I would make sure that he has his own money (cash/credit), and that he and his parents understand the ramifications of being injured/taken ill while not at home (medical costs plus medical evacuation costs, if needed -- not covered by health insurance, need travel insurance to cover those costs). I would also recommend checking on his onboard account a couple times to make sure he's not racking up charges he won't be able to cover at the end of the week.

Other than that, make sure he has sunscreen and have a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, brillohead said:

Why on earth would you need parental permission for anything for an 18yo ADULT???

My son was lobbing grenades for Uncle Sam at 18yo, and I didn't have to sign any waivers for him, because he wasn't a minor anymore.  

For the OP, I would make sure that he has his own money (cash/credit), and that he and his parents understand the ramifications of being injured/taken ill while not at home (medical costs plus medical evacuation costs, if needed -- not covered by health insurance, need travel insurance to cover those costs). I would also recommend checking on his onboard account a couple times to make sure he's not racking up charges he won't be able to cover at the end of the week.

Other than that, make sure he has sunscreen and have a great cruise!

Because Royal Caribbean has different rules than Uncle Sam. And at 18 in the US, he is also neither able to drink alcohol or buy cigarettes, despite his ability to kill others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Because Royal Caribbean has different rules than Uncle Sam. And at 18 in the US, he is also neither able to drink alcohol or buy cigarettes, despite his ability to kill others.

But he doesn’t need another adult to make medical decisions for him.

21 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@brillohead  Did you intend the irony in your post in the contrast between the fierce "he is an adult!" tone in the 1st 2 paragraphs, and the helicoptering advice in the last 2?

The OP wanted advice, I gave it.  My advice would pertain to ANYONE traveling on a cruise for the first time, regardless of age, if they didn't have their own money to cover their exit from the ship.  If the 18yo's account will be covered by a credit card with a high limit, then monitoring the account for charges doesn't matter.

18 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

But he's STILL not able to drink alcohol or buy cigarettes regardless of whether someone signs a waiver for him, so I don't see the point in your comment?

He's legally an adult and doesn't need anyone's "permission" but his own to ride the Flowrider, make medical decisions, leave the country, etc.  

@brillohead  I should have limited my comment to the irony between your 1st paragraph and your comment telling the OP to "make sure [an ADULT] has sunscreen"--advice you gave that was not requested. It was humorous since I generally consider ADULTS capable of providing their own, but I guess sunscrren is ok whereas you disparaged any idea that the OP should supervise the friend. Obviously, you don't see the humor.

Edited by mayleeman

19 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Travel rules are based on common laws by "Uncle Sam" and other countries the person is traveling to.  They are not rules of RCCL.  To leave a country, you need a parent with you, or the permission of that parent with a designated adult to be in charge. The letter gives that adult the ability to be in charge, along with making medical decisions etc.  The 18 year old can buy alcohol on ships sailing from international ports where the age is 18.  Example, Europe.  They can also buy cigarettes on the ship, and in ports they visit.  Adults do not need permission slips to travel, and they must abide by local laws and regulations.  They are responsible for their own actions. 

48 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

To leave a country, you need a parent with you, or the permission of that parent with a designated adult to be in charge. The letter gives that adult the ability to be in charge, along with making medical decisions etc.

The parent doesn't need to write a letter for an 18yo. 

Why on earth does everyone think a letter is needed for an ADULT to leave the country????

OP, I asked this question a while back as well, as we have our 18 year old niece travelling in a connecting cabin with us in March.   I had conflicting information shared as well, but ended up deciding that she does not written need permission from her parents.

I'm not sure if rules have changed, but I believe closed loop cruises from the US don't technically require a passport either but it is HIGHLY recommended.  (just proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth),  However, I wouldn't want to get stuck on an island with no way to fly back home.  So, passport and medical insurance info is important.  Charging privileges are to be worked out between you and her.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1