Trip Interruption and cancelation from a credit card

thinfool

Asking for confirmation here... Citi , some weeks ago, ceased coverage for any travel related items....so we stopped using our AAdvantage card issued by Citi.

Instead we have applied for and received the Aviator (AAdvantage) Mastercard from Barclays.  From what we can tell, it still provides cancelation and interruption coverage within specified limits.

I really hope we have not missed something here so can one of the wizards of travel insurance confirm this for me?

TIA

13 hours ago, thinfool said:

Asking for confirmation here... Citi , some weeks ago, ceased coverage for any travel related items....so we stopped using our AAdvantage card issued by Citi.

Instead we have applied for and received the Aviator (AAdvantage) Mastercard from Barclays.  From what we can tell, it still provides cancelation and interruption coverage within specified limits.

I really hope we have not missed something here so can one of the wizards of travel insurance confirm this for me?

TIA

I do not have the Barclays card but I was curious so I looked at both the AAdvantage site and the Barclays site.  The information was not identical on both sites so I would review the Guide to Benefits booklet and then call the benefits number with any questions.  At least this should give you an idea on what you have.  Here are some differences I noticed on the two sites:

• When I logged into the AAdvantage site they only talked about Citibank cards.  They did provide links to the Barclays Aviator cards under the heading "Already a cardholder? Learn more about your card’s benefits".  If I clicked on those links, none mention trip cancellation or interruption benefits.
  • If I go to the Barclays site, they offer a business card and an AAdvantage Aviator Red card.  Unlike on the AA site, the red card mentions "Trip Cancellation and Interruption coverage and more (restrictions , limitations and exclusions apply)".

Assuming you do have the cancellation and Interruption coverage, some limitations to check include:

• Maximum coverage used to be limited to $1500 per trip.  Is this OK for you.
  • Pre-existing conditions are not covered.  It used to be a 60 day look back period.
  • Covered reasons are very specific and limited.  Make sure you are OK with the language.
  • Do you need to charge the entire trip cost to the card?  Some cards only require that you charge a portion of the trip.

Depending on how much travel you do, take a look at the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  A lot more benefits and higher limits on trip cancellation and interruption.  But it still has a pre-existing conditions clause and limited covered reasons.  It is pricey at $450, but you get a $300 annual travel credit, so the overall cost is $150. Chase Sapphire Reserve is a cheaper alternative at $99.  It offers less benefits than the expensive Chase card, but both offer $20K per occurrence cancellation and interruption benefits.  Annual maximums also apply.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

• Maximum coverage used to be limited to $1500 per trip.  Is this OK for you.
  • Pre-existing conditions are not covered.  It used to be a 60 day look back period.
  • Covered reasons are very specific and limited.  Make sure you are OK with the language.
  • Do you need to charge the entire trip cost to the card?  Some cards only require that you charge a portion of the trip.

Thanks for your reply.

Stated coverage is up to $5000. now.

Everything else is what I consider normal and substantially better that what Citi offers, which is nothing.  Barclays also offers rental car coverage to cover the CDW that many rental companies try to impose on unsuspecting customers  As I recall, again, Citi has trimmed or eliminated this coverage, too.

59 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Thanks for your reply.

Stated coverage is up to $5000. now.

Everything else is what I consider normal and substantially better that what Citi offers, which is nothing.  Barclays also offers rental car coverage to cover the CDW that many rental companies try to impose on unsuspecting customers  As I recall, again, Citi has trimmed or eliminated this coverage, too.

Is that $5000 total? or $5000 per person with a max of $$$ per trip?

I also decided to go with Chase Sapphire Reserve

Cancellation is $10K per covered person with $20K max per trip

Rental car is up to $75K to include Loss of Use provision

Evac is up to $100K

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, Jersey42 said:

It is pricey at $450, but you get a $300 annual travel credit, so the overall cost is $150.

In the last few minutes I got an email stating the annual fee will be $550 on the next renewal on or after April 2020.  It will now be as much as the Amex.