Random Question - Would I be allowed to fly a small kite on Labadee?

Dajbman22

I've never seen anyone do that, so have no idea. However, I might go by the saying, "sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness, than for permission."😘

On a side note, that just may give RCI the idea to add that activity for more $.😏

I say, go for it!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BTHodgeman said:

I know that drones aren't technically allowed, but nobody said anything to the 2-3 people flying them in the remote/rocky part of the beach nearest the roller coaster. 

I can't imagine that anyone would even bat an eye at a kite...

Drones are not prohibited.  They cannot be operated on the ship.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Drones are not prohibited.  

Their FAQ says this on Labadee: 

Yes. Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti.

• Like 2

Somewhat off topic - 20 years ago we were in an aft cabin.  People were flying kites off the back of the ship.  If we had the sliding glass door open, sometimes a kite would get sucked into our cabin.  We'd relaunch it - and avoided kite injury!  I'd say - go for it - go fly a kite!   I've read where people have flown a kite at other ports, then gave the kite away to a kid.  Enjoy!

43 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Drones are not prohibited.  They cannot be operated on the ship.

As Biker mentioned, they are now prohibited on RCL's private destinations as well.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

"However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti."

11 minutes ago, BTHodgeman said:

As Biker mentioned, they are now prohibited on RCL's private destinations as well.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

"However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti."

Yes, as he posted half  an hour before you.  😉 😄

Sure, no problem, we brought a kite earlier this year and used it at Labadee.  Some $10 Amazon Prime special that fit in our luggage

We used Adrenaline Beach; past the beach cabanas are some sports courts at the base of the hill.  It was one of the few areas that was both windy and did not have a lot of people around.  

That area, years ago...used to have a really cool "shipwreck" bar up near the rocks.  That was in the days of tendering.

Agree...pretty open and unused now.   Watched a young couple trying to climb up the rocks at that end, walking right past the "do not enter, stay off the rocks" signs.  Security was pretty quick to call them back.  

23 hours ago, Dajbman22 said:

Pretty straightforward question. I've had this small foldable nylon kite and thought it would be fun to toss it in my luggage. 

A month ago, we flew our floldable nylon kite at Coco Cay- it was pretty windy, but swirling.  It was cool.

The only "issue" I can think of is wind- the mountains seem to block it, and I don't recall being there on a windy day.

We bought the kite for the park in front of El Morro in San Juan, and carry it to many other places.  Really nice to have it!  Have a great time with it!!!!!!!

On 12/31/2019 at 11:04 AM, crilski said:

Somewhat off topic - 20 years ago we were in an aft cabin.  People were flying kites off the back of the ship.  If we had the sliding glass door open, sometimes a kite would get sucked into our cabin.  We'd relaunch it - and avoided kite injury!  I'd say - go for it - go fly a kite!   I've read where people have flown a kite at other ports, then gave the kite away to a kid.  Enjoy!

I flew kites onboard ship for probably 15 years.  It was often quite a challenge.  I remember that it was in Seattle onboard the Vision in 2000 while still at the dock that an officer approached me and told me that I needed to bring the kite down.  As part of their new "Save the Waves" program it was now allowed.   He said that if I lost a kite I would be polluting the waters. 

• Haha 1