Cruise Critic Community
Cruzinram

Hotel Recomendation for Bath

We will be in Bath May 2020 and need a recomendation for Lodging. Four days Bath with a side trip to the Cotswolds. City Center with Queen but prefer King bed. Looking at Francis Hotel but cannot determine if there is a room Category that has a Queen or King bed. 

Would like some personal feedback in addition to Trip advisor and other sites.

I post on TripAdvisor all the time...almost 200 reviews. TripAdvisor is "personal" and is far more comprehensive than Cruise Critic when it comes to hotels, particularly hotels in locations that are not ports where cruises start.

It's been some years since I stayed in Bath so my experience is out of date. I do remember being somewhat spoiled for choice in this tourist-oriented city.

We stayed at The Henry Guest House, 6 Henry Street and found it to be a good location.  Close to the train station and within walking distance of all of Bath's attractions.  Just be aware that there is no elevator and we had to carry our luggage up the stairs.

Many of the hotels and guest houses in Bath were built as private houses. The strict conservation rules often mean that it is impossible for them to install things like lifts or air con. Rooms are also likely to be fairly small as a big part will be taken out to allow for an en-suite bathroom (again not a feature in Georgian homes).

TripAdvisor allows searches with limiting criteria and the OP should make use of that.

We've stayed at the Lansdown Grove Hotel and really enjoyed it. It's up a hill with some lovely views and an easy walk into town. Superior rooms have king size beds. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:55 PM, Cruzinram said:

We will be in Bath May 2020 and need a recomendation for Lodging. Four days Bath with a side trip to the Cotswolds. City Center with Queen but prefer King bed. Looking at Francis Hotel but cannot determine if there is a room Category that has a Queen or King bed. 

The "Your Stay" page on the Francis Hotel's website clearly specifies the bed size for each type of room.

There are three room types -- "Feature," "Superior," and "Classic."

For the "Feature" and "Superior" rooms:  Queen-size bed covered with Egyptian cotton linen

For the "Classic" rooms:  Queen-size bed covered with Egyptian cotton linen

I've been to Bath several dozen times over the past 40 years, and have stayed in a dozen or so different guest houses/ B&Bs as well as in a private home.  I haven't stayed at the Francis, but I've walked past it many times--the location is excellent.

Bear in mind that accommodation prices in Bath are among the highest in the UK--indeed, higher, on average, than in London (or so it seems to me).  Also, as Bob points out above, a large proportion of guest accommodation is in buildings that date from the Georgian period, with the restrictions that that entails. 

Incidentally, if you really want to go all-in in Bath, the Royal Crescent Hotel occupies the most prestigious address in the city--and arguably the most beautiful residential building in England.  

Beware of bed size descriptions like 'queen' and 'king'. They do not mean the same thing on both sides of the Atlantic.

King size bed may measure 60" in × 80 " in the UK but 76" × 80" in the US. A standard double here is 54" × 75". If you don't want to snuggle up with your partner, ask for a twin bed room... 🙂

On 1/3/2020 at 5:50 AM, Bob++ said:

Beware of bed size descriptions like 'queen' and 'king'. They do not mean the same thing on both sides of the Atlantic.

King size bed may measure 60" in × 80 " in the UK but 76" × 80" in the US. A standard double here is 54" × 75". If you don't want to snuggle up with your partner, ask for a twin bed room... 🙂

Ah, right, Bob...  I used to know that, but somehow it slipped my mind (like many other things as I ease into my more "advanced" years😉.)  That said, I've never been conscious that the First Mate and I were squeezed together any more tightly in a UK-size queen bed than in a US queen bed.

In my earlier, single years, I had ample experience of single beds in damp cupboard-size rooms in grotty budget hotels in London & elsewhere.  I recall sleepless nights on mattresses that had strange lumps where no lumps should be, and beds where my feet my feet were higher than my head.  (Or maybe I was just lying the wrong way round.🤔)  In recent years, I've noticed a vast improvement in the quality of British hotel beds and bedding, even--indeed, especially--in budget chain hotels, including Ibis and Premier Inn, the quality and comfort of which is a prime selling point for those chains, providing a most restful nights for the inhabitants! 😴😴

For the OP:  In my previous post, the description for the "Feature" and "Superior" rooms at the Francis hotel should read:

King-size bed covered with Egyptian cotton linen

We stayed at Duke's in Bath for 4 nights last September, and really enjoyed it.  They have a variety of rooms to suit various budgets and needs - small to suites, lower to upper floors.  As mentioned earlier, the older hotels or bed & breakfasts do not have elevators or air conditioning.  We considered all the stairs as training for the port intensive cruise!  It is a few blocks from the city center, but only took about 5  minutes walking to reach the historic Abbey area.

The staff was friendly, helpful, and professional and the breakfasts were scrumptious!  We were able to take advantage of a weekend special for a reduced rate for our Sunday stay.  We would definitely recommend Duke's as a wonderful place to stay.  Here is their website:  https://www.dukesbath.co.uk/

Another helpful website for exploring bed & breakfast and hotel options in Bath is:  https://www.stayinbath.org/