Wing it or??

Dev D

Hello All,

We are new to Sea Dream and very excited to be on board in a couple of weeks (SDI 1/24 sail). Normally I am obsessive about researching islands and excursions(snorkeling is our favorite). However, with this voyage there are several new and small islands (which is kind of the point). Should we try some of the ship excursions, or wing it once we get there? Also, is the ship's Bath's tour worth it or should we taxi it?

Thanks!

I can give you one tip that we stumbled upon in Antigua, which looks to be on your list of ports.  It involves a free day at a lovely hotel nearby where you will be docking.

It was a couple of years ago, so I am not sure they still have the same policy, but last time we were there we took a great little tour of the  old English Harbour facility.  Afterwards we ate at one of the on-site restaurants.  They told us that because we had eaten at one of the restaurants, we could use the facilities/pool/bar at their onsite hotel for the day.  The hotel is the old powder magazine building  and only has a few rooms.  But the infinity pool is lovely with lots of flowering plants and hammocks.  So we hopped into their little boat and they took us across the lagoon to the hotel pool.  It was not crowded and the bar service was good.  We stayed for a few hours and then left English Harbour and went up to Shirley Heights, which has a spectacular view.  After that we  snorkeled at a nearby beach.  Then we decided to go back to the hotel pool for another hour or two  before we headed back to the ship, and they were happy to have us back.

We had a great time and really enjoyed having that gorgeous pool as our base for the day.  Hopefully if you go they will still have the same policy, but either way the tour is worthwhile.  Have a great trip!

Edited by DWhit

What a fabulous itinerary with the bonus extra day!  We will be on  SD1 Jan 11-24 keeping a good eye on it for you.  Pre-hurricane we spent a day at Cheval Blanc, chairs and lunch, on St. Barth's to switch it up from the usual St. Jean or Shell Beach. https://www.chevalblanc.com/en/maison/st-barth-isle-de-france/  I would recommend, but don't know how it looks after the fix up.  When we do excursions we enjoy going with other Seadreamers as it is like fancy camp and way more fun together.  You get to know people better and share in the same experience, however a cab works too!

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.27.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.27.31 PM.png

Loving Life... I am a bit jealous of your two weeks at sea..(hope you have the best time). At this point I think "winging it" by making decisions once board will be best. Seems like I just need to relax about it all. I have now read back quite a few years and am learning about the usefulness of the on board concierge. Thank you everyone for all the tips (including those posted elsewhere in the threads)! I have always found those posts to be an invaluable tool when weighing the multitude of vacation options😀

We've been to all these islands and have both taken the ships excursions and "winged it".  The two I would recommend taking the ships excursions are Saba and Montserrat.   Saba is almost one big, straight up mountain. No beaches and few taxis.  Montserrat offers a sobering view of volcanic destruction. The SeaDream excursions for these two are informative and thoughtful introductions to two unique and rarely visited islands. 

BTW we will be on board with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Dev D - where do they snorkel on Jost Van Dyke ?  I live on St John and run a day charter to Jost Van Dyke but we don't snorkel on Jost Van Dyke but if they are going to the Indians at Norman then absolutely book it as it's one of the best snorkel locations around.