Depth of aft facing balconies

Kfrech

Does anyone know the dimensions of these balconies (not the aft wrap balconies) and how much of the balcony is covered by the balcony above? I'm unable to find anything that provides precise measurements.

Thank you.

Deck Plans do an okay job from ship profile. We usually choose a covered Aft. You might try google images , you can usually judge the size of the balcony and which ones are covered. It depends upon the ship, naturally, as mentioned above. Good luck, we so love our Aft Balcony. 

I should have been more specific. We are booked on the Koningsdam this June to Alaska, in aft facing balcony room 5221. I've found a post somewhere that said the balcony measured around 6ft deep and 10 ft. wide. I'm struggling with determining which part of this is covered. Since we are going to Alaska, the more coverage, the better!

17 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Would love to know this as well. I have looked on Halfacts and there are no regular aft balcony cabins showing for deck 5 or deck 6 on NA or her sister. We are in 5193 and knowing how much is covered would be really good information to have. 

Did you mean 5198? Looks like 5193 is an inside room. The best I could find about 5198 is that the balcony is about 6 ft. deep and 10 ft wide....no mention of how much of that is covered from the deck above.

We were in cabin 8188 on the Koningsdam last month.  Only balconies on that deck are fully covered.  I could look down and see people standing at the rail on the lower decks,  but that was about it.  The vast majority of the deck is covered.  We loved the size of our balcony!

1 hour ago, Kfrech said:

Did you mean 5198? Looks like 5193 is an inside room. The best I could find about 5198 is that the balcony is about 6 ft. deep and 10 ft wide....no mention of how much of that is covered from the deck above.

On Nieuw Amsterdam VB5193 is the center aft balcony - I just double checked our booking and deck plans. Like You, I agree that knowing the overhang on these aft balconies would be helpful. 

Below is from Crew News: Following this post, I asked if he could estimate the amount of coverage above and he said about 2/3. 

As a hobby photographer, I am a devotee of aft staterooms for scenic cruises such as Alaska.  On the Konigsdam in Dec 2018, I was in 7195 in the middle of the aft staterooms.  On the NS, I was in 5208 also in the middle of the aft staterooms.  Both great for photographs but these two rooms were in the Caribbean. 

Alaska is scenery intensive and requires a lot of time just looking for creatures from your balcony.  If your stateroom is on the side of the ship, you cannot see both sides of the ship at the same time.  You will have to leave your stateroom and compete for space at the railings on the public decks.  If someone spots something on the other side, those on the decks rush to the other side meaning those next to a railing for good photos are now in the back of the crowd.  Trying to take a phota with a camera that requires looking through a viewfinder with lots of IPads and cell phones in your way is frustrating.

With an aft-facing stateroom, you can just stay on your balcony and see what is happening on both sides of the ship.  Your bathroom and minibar are a few feet away while those on the decks will lose their "spot" for food/bathroom breaks.  You can set up a tripod to make videos from your balcony or even attach a GoPro to your railing.  You have your own chair and small table on the balcony to hold your Room Service snacks and beverage while those on the decks will not.

Needless to say, with the rain in Alaska, having a roof over your balcony will keep you and your camera dry unlike those on Deck 9 who will be wet and risking their cameras. Being on the aft part of the ship, you will be able to spend more time on your balcony out of the wind while the ship is moving while others will have to huddle next to their balcony partitions to escape the wind.  Imagine holding a camera out of the passenger window of a moving car and trying to taka a photo without the camera moving in the wind.  Not a problem on an aft balcony.

If viewing Alaska scenery and photographs are not important, the aft balcony loses its lustre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I got this info from HAL agent as I was curious about these cabins:

Aft Vista Suite

4190/4217

224 room

59 balcony

4213/4186

212 room

4194/4221

Verandah Aft:

209 room

59 balcony

5219/5198

232 room

71 balcony

VS extended balcony

182 room

113 balcony

On most HAL ships the aft balconies are about 2/3rds covered. When you are sitting down sipping your wine, no one can see you. It is only when you are standing at the rail then people above who are also standing at the rail can see you.