Guest Damage to Cabin on RC

On 1/2/2020 at 1:38 AM, unrealHeather said:

Has anyone ever accidentally damaged something in their RC cabin?  I just returned from a cruise with my family and unfortunately, my 10 yo DD got angry and threw a hairbrush across the room, smashing a mirror.  It was the last day and our disembarking was happening.  I alerted the room attendant and he called for his supervisor and maintenance.  I checked with customer service but they cannot tell me if or how much we will be charged.  Customer service was a bit surprised we were able to leave the ship without settling up.  Any thoughts?

I remember a cruise several years.  I was laying in the Solarium when I heard glass shatter.  It was one of the glass panels on the bridge that goes over the Solarium pool.  I don't know exactly what they did to break the glass but a family with a young child was standing on the bridge when it broke.  They couldn't just replace it with any glass because there was a floral design etched in to the glass that needed to match the pieces next to it.  

Someone brought it up at one of the Captain meet & greets and the answer was that the family would be billed for it.   

This is a little different from your mirror though.  They might have had extras on hand, or just purchased a new one in port.  Time will tell if you get billed.

Edited by Aquahound

On 1/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, deliver42 said:

If they let the OP off the ship without paying, then I believe Royal will right it off as cost of doing business. Every child has a tantrum. I'll bet you have had at least one when you were a child, deepcman.

Never heard of being billed after leaving ship? Most us have... Though as other suggested, prob a write off

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Also, on my cruise last month, someone was charged for fixing the toilet when it was discovered that the cause was pineapple being flushed. This was NCL, but cruise lines often have similar policies which is why I mention it 

How many cruises was he on before being flushed?  🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, BeachChik said:

Having children doesn’t mean you know everything. And how rude to sit here with zero qualifications to say, that someone else’s child’s behavior is abnormal. 

I don't claim to know everything.  But,  after four kids and seven grandchildren one thing I DO know is that a 10 year old throwing something hard enough to smash a mirror is NOT normal.  This kid has some kind of behavioral problem.

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

I don't claim to know everything.  But,  after four kids and seven grandchildren one thing I DO know is that a 10 year old throwing something hard enough to smash a mirror is NOT normal.  This kid has some kind of behavioral problem.

And you have an internet behavioral problem, judging other people’s children, online. Life is not black and white. It’s many shades and colors, and children deserve flexibility, not heartless rigidity. Otherwise, they grow up to be judgmental adults. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

And you have an internet behavioral problem, judging other people’s children, online. Life is not black and white. It’s many shades and colors, and children deserve flexibility, not heartless rigidity. Otherwise, they grow up to be judgmental adults. 

But, they also need to be taught personal responsibility.

• Like 2

I am completely baffled by the assumption that the OP didn't teach their child personal responsibility based on the original post. The post asked a fairly simple question about whether or no anyone has dealt with the cruise line and damage done by a guest. When I read the post I took it as they were wondering what to expect. Will they get a bill in the mail 6 months from now or should they expect someone from Royal to contact them in the next couple of weeks, etc... . I didn't see them ask for parenting advice. No one here knows the circumstances of the event or what led up to it.

OP, I hope you find out soon what the next step is if any. My son once broke a lamp at a hotel. In that instance, the hotel manager told us we would not be charged for it when we reported it so we knew right away what to expect. Good luck. 

Since everyone is jumping in, in general and in my opinion, parents are allowing poor behavior in their children, but it is very impolite to voice one's criticism of others' parenting.

About the mirror, I would guess it wouldn't be that expensive if they do charge you.

1 hour ago, BND said:

But, they also need to be taught personal responsibility.

When has anyone here talked about not teaching the kid responsibility? The OP didn’t elaborate but none of the rest of us who are defending the child said to just let the kid throw a fit and not teach them a lesson from it. I simply said that people express emotions in different ways. The kid doesn’t necessarily have some sort of severe aggression disorder and need therapy. The rigidity of strangers on the internet is kind of hilarious. People think their kids are angels until they see with their own eyes that they’re not. And then the kids grow up and the parents forget because they turned out to be normal adults. 

When my son threw his fits over the summer (when hormones kicked in to high gear and he thought he was invincible and entitled) we very strictly punished him and now he’s back to being our normal child. It doesn’t mean he had some mental condition that required therapy. He needed guidance from us and restrictions on the aspects of his life that made him feel spoiled. I’ve only chimed in because I felt that strangers on the internet have no place offering unsolicited criticism of a child’s mental health. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

When has anyone here talked about not teaching the kid responsibility? The OP didn’t elaborate but none of the rest of us who are defending the child said to just let the kid throw a fit and not teach them a lesson from it. I simply said that people express emotions in different ways. The kid doesn’t necessarily have some sort of severe aggression disorder and need therapy. The rigidity of strangers on the internet is kind of hilarious. People think their kids are angels until they see with their own eyes that they’re not. And then the kids grow up and the parents forget because they turned out to be normal adults. 

When my son threw his fits over the summer (when hormones kicked in to high gear and he thought he was invincible and entitled) we very strictly punished him and now he’s back to being our normal child. It doesn’t mean he had some mental condition that required therapy. He needed guidance from us and restrictions on the aspects of his life that made him feel spoiled. I’ve only chimed in because I felt that strangers on the internet have no place offering unsolicited criticism of a child’s mental health. 

Whoa, slow down. I never said a word about therapy.  She does have something going on with anger because she destroyed someone elses' property.  First this child is 10 and the mom never said she was made to report it.  She stated she reported it.   I see a parents doing this for their kids instead of making them own it.  You end up with kids who think nothing is wrong with any behavior because it's "how they feel". Not a good thing.  I raised two boys, but you better believe they never crossed that line and if they did, there would have been consequences.  They're perfectly normal adults and didn't suffer because we taught them that they had to take responsibility.  The point of my post is that this 10 year old should have been made to go report it as she is responsible for what happened.

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The op did the right thing and hopefully for them they hear no more.

After all the helpful and not so helpful posts I'm a little curious why the op has not responded.

The OP was perhaps turned off by all of the remarks not related to the question. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, BND said:

Whoa, slow down. I never said a word about therapy.  She does have something going on with anger because she destroyed someone elses' property.  First this child is 10 and the mom never said she was made to report it.  She stated she reported it.   I see a parents doing this for their kids instead of making them own it.  You end up with kids who think nothing is wrong with any behavior because it's "how they feel". Not a good thing.  I raised two boys, but you better believe they never crossed that line and if they did, there would have been consequences.  They're perfectly normal adults and didn't suffer because we taught them that they had to take responsibility.  The point of my post is that this 10 year old should have been made to go report it as she is responsible for what happened.

A couple of other people suggested therapy, not you.

The child’s intent wasn’t to break something, it happened on accident. If they did it on purpose, yes, that would warrant some further action. But the indication was that it was inadvertent. And having the child be the one to report the incident is a personal parenting choice. I, personally, wouldn’t make my son do it because my punishment would be sufficient. It’s hilariously insane how many micromanaging parents we have in this forum. 

28 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

A couple of other people suggested therapy, not you.

The child’s intent wasn’t to break something, it happened on accident. If they did it on purpose, yes, that would warrant some further action. But the indication was that it was inadvertent. And having the child be the one to report the incident is a personal parenting choice. I, personally, wouldn’t make my son do it because my punishment would be sufficient. It’s hilariously insane how many micromanaging parents we have in this forum. 

This is like the whisper in the ear game that what you say gets totally changed by the time it gets back to you.

Where did the OP say it was "on accident?"  Or that it was "inadvertent?"

This is what the OP said:  my 10 yo DD got angry and threw a hairbrush across the room, smashing a mirror.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crazyank said:

Again please show us your license in child psychology. And please tell

me where it is normal to judge someone else’s child? 

And regardless of how many kids or grandchildren you have that doesn’t mean you know what is normal. Just because yours didn’t do it means nothing. 

Haven’t you heard the rule that if you wouldn’t say it to their face you shouldn’t say it? You are rude. 

30 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

This is like the whisper in the ear game that what you say gets totally changed by the time it gets back to you.

This is what the OP said:  my 10 yo DD got angry and threw a hairbrush across the room, smashing a mirror.

I love that "intent" post.  The OP's post is clear that she got angry and threw the hairbrush.  I'm getting she intended to throw it.  I just don't get people who defend bad behavior, regardless of intent.  This poster also doesn't understand that she is being what accuses others of, basically being judgmental.

52 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The comma between “room” and “smashing” implies that the two are separate, intention and result. She said the hairbrush was thrown across the room, not thrown into the mirror. It’s called reading comprehension. Yes, she intended to throw it but did not mean to cause damage. 

Now, if the OP were to come back and clarify that it was intentional...you would STILL have no right to criticize her child. Her womb. Her child. You aren’t involved. 

Edited by Dancingnurse79

I have noticed that none of you here harping on the child's behavior have considered that she may be on the autism spectrum and the OP just did not feel it relevant to mention that since that was not the point of this post.  Persons on the spectrum often get angry at the drop of a hat when something triggers them and they may use throwing things to express their anger.  Unfortunately you can't always know the triggers and try to avoid them.  Example, my 31 year old, 5 ft 11, 200 lbs, son on the spectrum had what I call a meltdown in the middle of the waiting area of a hair place I took him to get his hair cut.  Yes, we got some weird looks and whispers, but the area had gotten fairly busy and when he was called by the worker, he couldn't tell who had called his name.  That's all it took.

So before everyone keeps giving out unsolicited parenting advice, please keep in mind that there may be another reason for this behavior.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AZSwissGal said:

I have noticed that none of you here harping on the child's behavior have considered that she may be on the autism spectrum and the OP just did not feel it relevant to mention that since that was not the point of this post.  Persons on the spectrum often get angry at the drop of a hat when something triggers them and they may use throwing things to express their anger.  Unfortunately you can't always know the triggers and try to avoid them.  Example, my 31 year old, 5 ft 11, 200 lbs, son on the spectrum had what I call a meltdown in the middle of the waiting area of a hair place I took him to get his hair cut.  Yes, we got some weird looks and whispers, but the area had gotten fairly busy and when he was called by the worker, he couldn't tell who had called his name.  That's all it took.

So before everyone keeps giving out unsolicited parenting advice, please keep in mind that there may be another reason for this behavior.

Or maybe she should have just come on and posted that the mirror was accidentally broken and reported and left it at that.  She offered up the anger and throwing the brush.  Oh, and maybe she isn't on the spectrum at all.  I have a niece who is and I know how the behavior can be but I've also seen her improve a lot with boundaries set by her father and step-mother.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

The comma between “room” and “smashing” implies that the two are separate, intention and result. She said the hairbrush was thrown across the room, not thrown into the mirror. It’s called reading comprehension. Yes, she intended to throw it but did not mean to cause damage. 

Now, if the OP were to come back and clarify that it was intentional...you would STILL have no right to criticize her child. Her womb. Her child. You aren’t involved. 

The fact the op invited comments is why this thread has been split.

As the DD was only 10 they are under the age of criminal responsibility so it is up to the parents to take responsibility which they appear to have done.

The child will realise they have done wrong and hopefully learn by it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The fact the op invited comments is why this thread has been split.

As the DD was only 10 they are under the age of criminal responsibility so it is up to the parents to take responsibility which they appear to have done.

The child will realise they have done wrong and hopefully learn by it.

Criminal responsibility?  I think just basic responsibility and learning from behavior applies here.  She's not going to be charged with a crime for this.

Wouldn't it be nice if those who posted, posted something relevant to the question. We cant really know the complete circumstance and it's not necessary to comment on the question. Does anyone know when or if the cruise line will bill for damage after leaving the ship.

• Like 1