New Orleans Drop Off Location?

Chrisfromco

Hi there!

We are cruising in a week or so on the Getaway out of New Orleans. Due to the ncaa championship, I had to book a hotel close to the airport. I've read it's best to get dropped off away from the actual Port terminal and just walk a short distance. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!! As a side note, I'll be creating a YouTube video from this trip so if there's anything you would like me to cover, just mention it here and I'll make sure to get some footage. Thanks in advance for your feedback! Chris

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chrisfromco said:

Hi there!

We are cruising in a week or so on the Getaway out of New Orleans. Due to the ncaa championship, I had to book a hotel close to the airport. I've read it's best to get dropped off away from the actual Port terminal and just walk a short distance. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!! As a side note, I'll be creating a YouTube video from this trip so if there's anything you would like me to cover, just mention it here and I'll make sure to get some footage. Thanks in advance for your feedback! Chris

Just tell the cabbie and he will know where to go. The luggage is collected across the street from the ship. Drop off luggage then walk to the embarkation building.  Easy. 

Get dropped off at the convention center, at Convention Center and Julia, then just walk down the walkway toward the river. 

If you ask to get dropped at the port itself, you'll be stuck in single-file traffic for a long time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chrisfromco said:

Hi there!

Lots of folks have attached my post on this subject.  It will help you.  I was there on Thanksgiving and there was a game that day at 12:00 PM.  My experience was once I got away from the stadium, all things were clear.  Please also remember I got to the port at 10:45 am on purpose.  I knew that this would get my wife and I on the ship quickly.  

Please understand part of my plan was because my wife and I were staying in the Haven on the ship. This mean first on; first drink and the vacation started quickly.  Normal embarkation was not crowded at that time either.

We had our cab drop us off at the port, no real delays at all.  Opened the truck, gave the porter at the port $10.00 and was in and out of security in less then 5 minutes.  

By the way, I wrote a review on my experience on the Getaway and it just one top five reviews for last month.  It might give you some incite.   Enjoy your cruise and stay sailing. 

• Like 1

Sthrngary Thanks very much for the info! Your review was terrific! Very helpful! The video posted above was great to get a visual of the area as well! Thanks again everyone! This is why I love Cruise Critic! So many helpful people here!!

On 1/2/2020 at 6:34 PM, Sthrngary said:

Lots of folks have attached my post on this subject.  It will help you.  I was there on Thanksgiving and there was a game that day at 12:00 PM.  My experience was once I got away from the stadium, all things were clear.  Please also remember I got to the port at 10:45 am on purpose.  I knew that this would get my wife and I on the ship quickly.  

Please understand part of my plan was because my wife and I were staying in the Haven on the ship. This mean first on; first drink and the vacation started quickly.  Normal embarkation was not crowded at that time either.

We had our cab drop us off at the port, no real delays at all.  Opened the truck, gave the porter at the port $10.00 and was in and out of security in less then 5 minutes.  

By the way, I wrote a review on my experience on the Getaway and it just one top five reviews for last month.  It might give you some incite.   Enjoy your cruise and stay sailing. 

Great review, Thanks!

If it is not too late - here is a thought for you:

You are at an airport hotel - take the free airport hotel shuttle back to the airport and connect with the NCL Transfer

Motor Coach located in the Baggage Claim area.***

*** NCL Transfer fees apply

Then let NCL and the motor coach worry about the traffic getting to the ship.

The NCL Transfer service will take you right to the porter drop for your luggage and you get off the bus at

that point to go thru security and subsequently check-in registration and on board the ship.

You will have to arrange the Transfer service in advance LINK - cost $20 pp

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

• Like 1