NCL CriuseNext deposits

janetootsie

I am going on Bliss in March, and am considering buying CruiseNext deposits. Just had a question about the on board credit you receive when buying the deposit. I am solo cruising, and will probably not spend all the on board credit I receive on this cruise, but would like to save it for my next cruise when I will be with a friend. I wondered if this is possible, or do you have to use all the onboard credit on the cruise you purchase the CruiseNext deposit on. Thank you in advance for any advice.

You do NOT have to spend any money (or have any other charges in your on-board account) in order to receive the on-board credit for the Cruise Next certificate.  It is simply applied to the purchase of the certificate.  If you buy one certificate, you get $100 credited back, so your net cost would be $150.  If you buy two or more, you get $125 credited back for each certificate, so your net cost would be $125.

We found that out AFTER we cruised last.  I would have bought more certificates had I known it was applied directly to the cost of the certificate.  

• Like 1

We never "spend" the obc from the cruise next certificates.  We just leave it on the account and NCL applies it the the cost of the certificate.  For example, we are buying 4 certificates this month. Total cost is $1,000 but we will not spend the $500 obc you get from the certificates on anything and NCL will credit our account with $500 so when we go to pay our bill at the end of the cruise, our total we owe will be $500.

• Like 3

The last time I bought CruiseNext certificates, they were pushing the idea that instead of giving onboard credit they would give you double the number of certificates for the same price.  Of course, this is really just a sneaky way to get you to pay $500 for four certificates instead of getting $500 worth of certificates for $250.  Make sure you go in knowing how many certificates you want, and as long as you buy at least 2 the net price is $125 per certificate.

• Like 1

I consider myself a smart person, but even I was confused by the whole CruiseNext process the first time I cruised with NCL. It's definitely worded in a very confusing way. I remember that early on in my first cruise, they were pushing the OBC aspect of buying CruiseNext pretty hard and I wasn't interested in OBC. It wasn't until later in the sailing where they started basically advertising that CN deposits were "buy one get one free" that I went ahead and purchased some. And it wasn't until I was back from that sailing that I figured out it was all the same promotion, just worded differently.

Kind of a side question. We have only  used the cruise next certs for 7+days. We will be going on another 7 day cruise soon but are interested in buying a couple certs that can be used for shorter ( 4 or 5 day) cruise. Can I buy those on our 7 day Dawn cruise or can they only be purchased on certain ships that sail the shorter cruises? Thanks

54 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's definitely worded in a very confusing way.

I agree. Though it's definitely on purpose. While there's those of us who don't want gobs of OBC to buy crap on the cruise, there's plenty that do and if NCL can get you to buy cruise next AND then go spend a lot of money? Well, better for them. 

Thank you very much for the info. One other question, if you don't mind me pick your brains some more.... I don't really get much of an OBC bill, but if I do tot up a few dollars can I just pay, and keep the full value of the CruiseNext vouchers? Thank you all, Jane

6 minutes ago, janetootsie said:

Thank you very much for the info. One other question, if you don't mind me pick your brains some more.... I don't really get much of an OBC bill, but if I do tot up a few dollars can I just pay, and keep the full value of the CruiseNext vouchers? Thank you all, Jane

You get the "full value" of the CruiseNext Vouchers.  They just end up costing you less with the credit.

You pay a net price of $125 (if you buy more than one) and the FULL value of $250 can be applied to your next cruise.

Edited by DinaS

5 minutes ago, janetootsie said:

Your on board account has no bearing on the value of your certificates, they are worth $250 each. If you purchase 2 or more, you will be charged the price of each certificate, with a corresponding credit for half the value of each certificate applied to your on board account. 

The OBC  part of the deal seems to confuse a lot of people.  The bottom line is that it's a buy one, get one if you buy 2 (valued at $250 each).  They initially bill you full price for both ($500 shows on your account), then apply the credit for the value of one ($250 credit).

27 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I believe so, as long as it is before final payment.

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yes.  And if they are running a DoubleUp promo, you can apply 2.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I don’t have any to use at the moment. I am planning to purchase some on my next cruise.

13 minutes ago, laurarenee said:

Is it possible for someone on a Cruise to purchase CN for another person to use on their upcoming cruise?

not certain, but as there is no physical certificate (it just goes on your latitude account) I think they would have to get it and then transfer it to you. That process is really easy and painless however.  A quick call to the CN desk and the transfer is done in minutes.

2 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

not certain, but as there is no physical certificate (it just goes on your latitude account) I think they would have to get it and then transfer it to you. That process is really easy and painless however.  A quick call to the CN desk and the transfer is done in minutes.

Thank you

35 minutes ago, laurarenee said:

Is it possible for someone on a Cruise to purchase CN for another person to use on their upcoming cruise?

Yes, because they are completely transferable. I was able to purchase two CruiseNext deposits for my brother while onboard the Bliss last month so he could use them for a sailing we are doing together in March. I just had to call the CruiseNext phone number when I got home and provide them with his Latitudes number to get them transferred over to him. Took under 10 minutes. Then he just PayPal-ed me the $250. The certificates appeared on his Latitudes account right away.

Edited by JamieLogical