Best P2 cabin on QE?

binty

About to book our first Cunard cruise to Alaska and have decided on a Princess Grill cabin. Are there any which should be avoided? Or any that we should snap up if they’re available? I struggle to see on the deck plans where there are crew stairs etc so would appreciate advice from anyone who’s stayed in this type of cabin. Thanks :)

I like the deck 4 cabins as the balcony has a little more depth - the downside (if you're concerned) is that people above can see you.   It's great for hotter climes as you get a little more sun, but in Alaska that could mean more rain. 

Don't book 6092 or its opposite number.   The stewards have a doorway opposite and all congregate outside from around 5.30am and they do not speak quietly!   Also, the BA balcony next door is a lot deeper and on our voyage, they had mini parties there so it got very noisy.

4 hours ago, charlesspinney said:

Book well in advance. PG go fast.  We upgraded to P1 during a promotion and are on the 8th deck on the June 2020 Alaskan cruise. 

Sounds lovely! I’ll be interested to hear how you enjoyed it when you’re back!

2 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

I like the deck 4 cabins as the balcony has a little more depth - the downside (if you're concerned) is that people above can see you.   It's great for hotter climes as you get a little more sun, but in Alaska that could mean more rain. 

Don't book 6092 or its opposite number.   The stewards have a doorway opposite and all congregate outside from around 5.30am and they do not speak quietly!   Also, the BA balcony next door is a lot deeper and on our voyage, they had mini parties there so it got very noisy.

thanks for this. It’s really hard to find good information about cabins! It’s much easier to research airplane or even theatre seats!!

As for 6092 - Is there an equivalent doorway at the same point on each deck or is it specific to deck 6?

We had 6098 on a Norway cruise. There is an emergency exit across from it. Although used by the crew, we never heard any significant noise.

Anyone familiar with PG on the QM2 will likely be disappointed with the tiny balconies on the QE. I have mixed feelings about taking PG again on the QE. The staterooms are just longer versions of a standard narrow balcony room. There is a full bathtub which was of no use to us. The Grills facilities, however, impressed us more than those on the QM2. The PG restaurant, lounge (albeit small) and ample deck space were better - in our opinion. Others may have a different opinion, of course.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We had 6098 on a Norway cruise. There is an emergency exit across from it. Although used by the crew, we never heard any significant noise.

Anyone familiar with PG on the QM2 will likely be disappointed with the tiny balconies on the QE. I have mixed feelings about taking PG again on the QE. The staterooms are just longer versions of a standard narrow balcony room. There is a full bathtub which was of no use to us. The Grills facilities, however, impressed us more than those on the QM2. The PG restaurant, lounge (albeit small) and ample deck space were better - in our opinion. Others may have a different opinion, of course.

Thank you. I’d noticed from a couple of YouTube videos that I’ve watched that the balconies are small - my only other cruise experience is a superior deluxe cabin on p&o Azura. The cabin layout is exactly the same but the balcony on Azura is about double the size of the QE PG balconies. 

That doorway/cupboard may only be specific to deck 6, as we've never had any issues with noise from decks 4, 5 or 8 (noise from above not opposite) (not been on 7). Look for non smooth lines on the deck plan opposite the cabins, this will indicate that it's not just a flat wall.      Opposite 6098 I think it's the crew stairwell - you will see it open on embarkation day as that's where the luggage is distributed from.    Deck 5 balconies seem a little less deep than deck 6, but only by maybe a couple of inches. Deck 4 are the only ones with any depth. 

Decks 4 and 5 don't seem to have anything across from the cabins, but note that decks 7 and 8 have open gaps on that wall, so not sure what these are.

I agree with the comments above, the QE/QV PG balconies are no wider than a normal balcony - it's just the room that is long and skinny and they do not compare to QM2.   They are the same as deluxe balconies on Azura/Ventura and mini suites on some of the older (flat aft) Princess ships.

I do love the restaurants on QE/QV as they have wonderful views from their location on deck 11. The sun terrace is lovely too, compared to QM2.   Pros and cons for each ship.

Edited by Lynnewob

3 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

That doorway/cupboard may only be specific to deck 6, as we've never had any issues with noise from decks 4, 5 or 8 (noise from above not opposite) (not been on 7). Look for non smooth lines on the deck plan opposite the cabins, this will indicate that it's not just a flat wall.      Opposite 6098 I think it's the crew stairwell - you will see it open on embarkation day as that's where the luggage is distributed from.    Deck 5 balconies seem a little less deep than deck 6, but only by maybe a couple of inches. Deck 4 are the only ones with any depth. 

Decks 4 and 5 don't seem to have anything across from the cabins, but note that decks 7 and 8 have open gaps on that wall, so not sure what these are.

I agree with the comments above, the QE/QV PG balconies are no wider than a normal balcony - it's just the room that is long and skinny and they do not compare to QM2.   They are the same as deluxe balconies on Azura/Ventura and mini suites on some of the older (flat aft) Princess ships.

I do love the restaurants on QE/QV as they have wonderful views from their location on deck 11. The sun terrace is lovely too, compared to QM2.   Pros and cons for each ship.

Thank you. The other benefits of PG are what attracted us rather than the cabin (which seems pretty “ordinary”). That’s really nice to hear about the restaurant and terrace 🙂

• 1 month later...

We are booked into 5002 (front of ship) in July. Does anyone have any experience of this cabin? I understand it is larger than a standard P1/P2. I would be interested to hear if you have stayed in a standard P1 as well and what you prefer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, July1963 said:

We are booked into 5002 (front of ship) in July. Does anyone have any experience of this cabin? I understand it is larger than a standard P1/P2. I would be interested to hear if you have stayed in a standard P1 as well and what you prefer.

Its a fabulous PG stateroom, Im in 5001 for the south american trip on QV this year, it has a forward facing window plus the balcony off to one side and is a square design with in my opinion much more room than the normal PGs. There are videos and photos online of these two staterooms.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, roscoe39 said:

Its a fabulous PG stateroom, Im in 5001 for the south american trip on QV this year, it has a forward facing window plus the balcony off to one side and is a square design with in my opinion much more room than the normal PGs. There are videos and photos online of these two staterooms.

Where would I be able to find these photos? Google search didn’t bring anything up for me

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Where would I be able to find these photos? Google search didn’t bring anything up for me

Had this state-room for the last half of the South American Cruise this year, it is pretty amazing but please don't tell everyone, I would love to have it again. It was bigger than one of the Q's I saw this trip and it has a good layout, much better than the normal p's which i find to be narrow and badly configured.

Best advantage to me is the forward facing window which i spent quite a bit of time staring out of, and it was a great stateroom to have a party in.

You can find pics on my blog

https://butarewethereyet.blogspot.com

under the Fort Lauderdale entry. Happy to answer any other questions...regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

On 1/2/2020 at 10:14 PM, binty said:

About to book our first Cunard cruise to Alaska and have decided on a Princess Grill cabin. Are there any which should be avoided? Or any that we should snap up if they’re available? I struggle to see on the deck plans where there are crew stairs etc so would appreciate advice from anyone who’s stayed in this type of cabin. Thanks :)

We have booked a P2 cabin midships on deck 6 for the World Voyage. We went on back in January more so to check position of cabin we booked, latest situation on the ship, etc as we (hopefully) will be spending a long period on board. In our experience for some reason we have enjoyed Princess Grill better than Queens Grill despite a smaller suite