LMM's Harmony of the Seas Christmas Cruise - PHOTO Review!!

On 1/5/2020 at 6:06 AM, GSRDPM said:

These are so beautiful.  That first picture is incredible. Somehow you managed to capture the detail in both the lighter and darker areas of the view. There is minimal to no motion blur from the bartenders (How did you get them to stay still for the shot, LOL!) - The color from the bar is in sharp contrast to the dark surroundings and ...OMG!!!!...The light on Rachel's face is perfect!!! Good thing nothing naughty was going on in the central park view cabin above.  The lighting there is even perfect!

Thank you!!

On 1/5/2020 at 6:47 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Great review so far.  Love the pics.  I've more or less abandoned my old Hero 4 Black (other than time lapse shots from the balcony railing) due to lack of many of the requirements that you listed and instead use my iPhone with a DJI Osmo mobile.  Off to read more about the Hero 8. 

You bring a perspective that I will never have.  Beauty cooler?  Changing spa appointments because formal night changed?  Never in a million years would I have either of those thoughts. When I read what you wrote to my wife though, she was just nodding her head and saying yup, yup, yup.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure Hero 4 black is what I rented back in 2014 - I really didn't like blindly taking photos/video. When I got the Hero 8 Black, my buddies were asking me, "Why do you need an action cam?" And I was surprised because 1) I like cameras, and I have several and 2) really, the Hero 8 is more than an action cam. Its preview screen, durability, light weight, and portability have convinced me that it's a great camera for just documenting family photo and video.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:41 AM, LBumb said:

Amazing job. I’m thoroughly enjoying

Thanks so much!

On 1/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, rs45thompson said:

Enjoying your review so far. Thank you for doing it.

Thank you! Trying to keep it up!

On 1/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, Beav1279 said:

I'm enjoying your review! Thank you for sharing the info and your beautiful pictures.

Yay - thank you!

Here's a photo of the Main Dining Room on the fifth floor. It's the main level and has white chairs. The other levels have red chairs.

49306758483_6a3888aad5_k.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Rachel went to Cafe Promenade to get a specialty coffee, so I popped in the Kate Spade store to look around.

49306758228_96877ecba5_k.jpgPromenade Kate Spade by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Judy was excited to show us a gingerbread display in the lobby. "Y'all, it's pitiful."

49307254586_3eee5e4490_k.jpgPromenade Gingerbread Display by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Craftmanship Level = 0. Really, I don't understand why they do this. I think the gingerbread houses are decorated by crew members which is supposed to be cute, but actually I think it's embarrassing.

Really, who is responsible for this?

49307254481_9fdf9d1150_k.jpgPromenade Gingerbread Display by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I don't remember what inspired us to go to the Boardwalk, but we found some performers practicing for the aqua show. After watching them repeatedly, it appeared like the men were trying to teach the girl the slack line part. Rachel mentioned that one of the performers had gotten hurt on the slack line a few weeks prior, but it looked like he was back in the show... but they might now be training a female to do that role? This is all just our best guess after watching them rehearse over and over.

49307457897_505411cfed_k.jpgAqua Theater Practice by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I got us some Jalepeno Cucumber Margaritas from Sabor. I did not notice the slosh bucket.

49306757673_8ac35bfc46_k.jpgJalepeno Cucumber Margarita by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49307457742_c423df7c4e_k.jpgAqua Theater Practice by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Rachel and I shared the VOOM 2 device streaming package. It was now that Rachel had the brilliant idea to book a beach resort for Cozumel the next day. In the past, we've gone to Playa Mia, but this time we decided to try something new - Mr. Sanchos. You don't have to make a reservation, but it's a really good idea, especially if there are other large ships in port. It's $55/person, but you can reserve at only $5/person and pay the rest when you get there.

49306757243_f8a2454085_k.jpgAqua Theater Practice by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

While we were sitting there, they made the announcement for The World's Sexiest Man Competition, so we decided to hang around and watch. Usually, this activity is held up at the pool deck, and they have no problem getting people to compete. However, down in the Aqua Theater, there weren't a lot of men who were game. Only one man went to sign up voluntarily on his own. The rest were urged/begged by the entertainment director guy in the weird outfit...

49307253701_ac46b2340f_k.jpgAqua Theater Practice by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

He did get enough people to enter, and it was entertaining to watch. I would never call this a "must see," but if you're in the area and have nothing better to do... might as well watch.

After the show, we got hot dogs on the Boardwalk. They're complimentary.

49307253411_9e1a971ce5_k.jpgHot Dogs by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49307253326_f5572a9519_k.jpgHot Dogs by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49306757028_50f857a7a9_k.jpgHot Dogs by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

And then we went up to the room to get ready for formal night. Rachel and I went ahead to Vintages, but Mom and Dad went to the Diamond Lounge before joining us.

None of us were ready for this photo, but I'm posting because my eyeshadow is on point.

49307456882_152b2bf75e_k.jpgVintages by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49307252971_a133301880_k.jpgVintages by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Hot Tip: You can order a cheese platter at Vintages.

49307252861_81d24de121_k.jpgVintages Cheese Plate by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

If you're a reader of my blog, you know that Rachel loves steak and pub mix, and Aaron loves soup... did you know Judy loves a cheese platter? And this was a good cheese platter. Good cracker variety. Judy appreciates cracker variety.

49306756103_6c081fc679_k.jpgVintages by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 1

Our dinner that evening was at Chops, located in Central Park.

49307456212_97a94728f2_k.jpgCentral Park by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49306755643_e703101c4e_k.jpgCentral Park by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

We were excited to try Chops because it's the specialty restaurant that's on almost all of the ships, but whenever we try to book, there are never any reservations left.

49307252301_e45764caad_k.jpgChops Menu by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49307252206_b12628c67b_k.jpgChops Menu by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Here's the wine list. It's different in all of the restaurants. There are only a few wines that are sold by the glass (which qualify it for the Deluxe Beverage Package).

49306755318_321153719f_k.jpgChops Menu by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49306755213_44ea48485e_k.jpgChops Menu by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 2

For an appetizer, Rachel ordered the shrimp cocktail.

49306755083_8fd784123a_k.jpgChops Shrimp Cocktail by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49306754708_e704eaa339_k.jpgChops Shrimp Cocktail by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I had the Grilled Black Pepper Bacon, which was really good.

49307251786_7580c67e60_k.jpgChops Grilled Black Pepper Bacon by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Dad had the crab cake.

49307455227_414e95597e_k.jpgChops Crab Cake by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

This is the Brie Salad. Sooo good!

49306754603_00062e16b6_k.jpgChops Brie Salad by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Cream of Mushroom Soup -

49306754468_e27f67ccd6_k.jpgChops Cream of Mushroom Soup by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

We knew we would be dining two nights in Chops, so I decided to order the Rack of Lamb. I enjoyed it.

49307454792_621a521cb2_k.jpgChops Rack of Lamb by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Rachel and Dad both got the filet. Rachel's steak was cooked perfectly, but the flavor wasn't that good - she had to use sauce. Dad's steak was clearly overcooked. Even our server took a look at it and said, "Are you okay with that?" but Stove didn't send it back.

49307461242_ba96e10b48_k.jpgChops Filet by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Judy got the salmon. Before she ordered, she asked, "Should I order the salmon at a steak restaurant?" And we all thought it would be fine, since this isn't a land-based steak restaurant.... it's a cruise ship. But it turned out to be a mistake. The salmon was not good. Judy would like you to know that, "J Peters has better salmon."

49307461007_bd3115ecb2_k.jpgChops Salmon by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

All of the sides come in the middle to share. They were good, but it was honestly too much to eat.

49306760918_6fac6d3b29_k.jpgChops Sides by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 1

Now for dessert! Judy (and Stove) got the Key Lime Pie. Judy's choices were not the best tonight. Or maybe Stove's choices just weren't prepared well. We all decided this pie had too much meringue, and it was warm (should be chilled!).

49307257016_90f7c27943_k.jpgChops Key Lime Pie by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Rachel got to the New York Cheesecake before I could. We all agreed that this was by far the best dessert, but it could have been colder.

49307294701_b83921d4a4_k.jpgChops Cheesecake by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I ordered the Red Velvet. It was too dry.

49306798118_2e02291814_k.jpgChops Red Velvet by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 2

After dinner, we went to Dazzles, which is a fun venue that overlooks the Boardwalk where they play live music in the evenings. We sat in the balcony and watched people dancing below.

49307460697_2cebf6679f_k.jpgRising Tides Martinis by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Then Judy and Stove went to bed, and Rachel and I decided to take a ride on the Rising Tide. Sorry, Rachel, but this photo is too incredible not to share.

49307498577_b70714ff58_k.jpgRising Tides Expresso Martinis by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

49306798448_b7071ee526_k.jpgRising Tides Expresso Martinis by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Did they charge you for this or was it included in the dining package?

We were actually not charged for the cheese platter. I think it was listed on the menu as $17, so we were expecting to pay that, but the bartender didn't charge us. So maybe he included it in our drink package, or maybe we got lucky.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to create this trip report! We are sailing Harmony in May - same itinerary!  You always have the best detailed and useful trip reports and I can’t wait to read the rest! 

Edited by locchiato

9 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Judy was excited to show us a gingerbread display in the lobby. "Y'all, it's pitiful."

49307254586_3eee5e4490_k.jpgPromenade Gingerbread Display by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Craftmanship Level = 0. Really, I don't understand why they do this. I think the gingerbread houses are decorated by crew members which is supposed to be cute, but actually I think it's embarrassing.

49307254481_9fdf9d1150_k.jpgPromenade Gingerbread Display by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Hmmm...is that the Architect speaking?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Here's a photo of the Main Dining Room on the fifth floor. It's the main level and has white chairs. The other levels have red chairs.

49306758483_6a3888aad5_k.jpgMain Dining Room by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

Rachel went to Cafe Promenade to get a specialty coffee, so I popped in the Kate Spade store to look around.

49306758228_96877ecba5_k.jpgPromenade Kate Spade by Victoria Shingleton, on Flickr

I think those gingerbread houses may have been made by kid passengers.We took a cruise on Celebrity last New Years and our waiter told us about a gingerbread house decorating competition for kids. You had to pay to enter but it seemed like fun so we signed up my 8 yo granddaughter. Ended up being canceled because they didn't get enough kids to sign up, but we were told the gingerbread houses on display by the grand foyer (which were set up and looked pretty much like your photos), were made by kids from the previous Christmas cruise. I know you're on RCCL, but both lines probably share certain activities.