Unexpected Costs !!

2 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

Hi All,

We booked a Junior Suite and we have the Ultimate Drinks Package with our Cruise Price. We have also pre paid Gratuities and also purchased The Key.

Thanks

Welcome to cruising.  You will love it!!  Some suggestion.  Keep an eye on your cruise price as well as drink package price.  If you see the price is lower than when booked. You can reprice and get lower price.  A reprice can be done anytime up to time final payment is due.

If you want to stay connected you may want to check out internet package instead of doing the key.  May want to read reviews of the key on this site.  

You can book excursions now and if they go on sale before your cruise you can get the lower on them too.

Extra tipping is up to you and how happy you were with their service.  I like to tip room steward and bartender for bar I will frequent something on first day.  I find they appreciate and will take good care of you while on your vacation.  If happy with head waiter and their assistant in main dining room I will tip them at end of trip.

I usually do 3 night speciality dining pkg on 7+day cruises so I usually tip our waiters in those restaurants too.

I cannot think of anything else right now.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Everyone has covered just about anything that might come up.

I just wanted to add, you might want to find the roll call for your sailing and join.  There will be a meet and mingle, arranged by the ships staff if there are 25 or more joined.  It’s a good place to meet in person the people you have talked with on your roll call.

Also, the roll call members sometimes have excursions you can join at a much lower cost, smaller group and more customized plan.

Welcome to cruising!

Edited by TinkBellaMom

If your first cruise, I would also caution to do some comparison pricing before making any big ticket purchases from the on-board shops.   If you are buying because they are selling it as a good price, then a strong dose of buyer beware is a good thing.   

Enjoy!  

Have you thought about your mobile phones and internet usage?

If you want to use the internet every day consider getting an internet package. Using the internet at sea without a package can become very expensive. 

We only use the internet when we are in port and you can get free internet on land.

As has been said the fact that you know about & have sorted the 'big' 2,tips & booze is a big step,it has annoyed me many times how IME at least TA's have failed to mention the tip subject to first time cruisers,only finding out after paying a non-refundable deposit,the drinks packages are a debatable one as to whether or not they are good value,that depends on a number of things I guess,the number of days you have ashore for one.

You may be surprised when you get on board how many ways the cruise company find to try & get extra money out of you,hope you enjoy your first cruise!

Definately bring singles for drinks. Me and hubby start out with $100. And we run out. I tip for special coffee, and drinks. On smaller ships we like the schooner bar. It's nice to walk up to the bar and your drink is there before you. And walking waiters always check to see if you need another. 

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you want to stay connected you may want to check out internet package instead of doing the key.  May want to read reviews of the key on this site.  

Sunshine is right. You might want to review the Key Perks to decide if you really want to spend the money.  On Serenade you likely won't need the Show Seating as there are no reservations, just show up for everyone.  You get Suite Priority boarding with a Junior Suite and regular boarding just isn't that big of a deal anyway.  As for the other perks, you might want to decide if you'll use them, and what the cost would be if you simply purchased the VOOM on it's own. I've never used the Key, likely never will.  But you can find lots of comments and experiences on here.  Would be worth researching to see if you really think it's worth it. 

Edited by papaflamingo

bring small enough bills to tip the porter when you drop off your luggage at the port, I had nothing but large bills with me and nothing to tip the guy.  After apologizing and walking away, my wife informed me that she had smaller bills and I got to go back and make it up to him.

dan

3 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

bring small enough bills to tip the porter when you drop off your luggage at the port, I had nothing but large bills with me and nothing to tip the guy.  After apologizing and walking away, my wife informed me that she had smaller bills and I got to go back and make it up to him.

dan

After a cruise or two under my belt, I started putting small bills for both shuttle driver and porters in my front pocket ahead of time.  Beats scrambling for bills out of my wallet/purse.  😉 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

A word of caution:  Many of the tables for 2 are inches away from other tables for 2 (or 4).

To the OP, when making your dining room table request through email ask for a balcony table for two on the second level.  The balcony tables along the rail are somewhat private and have a good view. 

image.png.f4614230e134dc76d3e17a847fd3dac5.png

Edited by taglovestocruise

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

To the OP, when making your dining room table request through email ask for a balcony table for two on the second level.  The balcony tables along the rail are somewhat private and have a good view. 

Is this on the Seranade?

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Very useful to know, thank you

On 1/2/2020 at 4:28 PM, Another_Critic said:

A word of caution:  Many of the tables for 2 are inches away from other tables for 2 (or 4).

Good info... Last year on Liberty we had a table for two but really it was like a table for 4.  However, because we did my time dining we had different dinner companions each night.  We met some great people most nights,  a couple nights the one sitting next to us didn't even speak each other let alone us. LOL

• Like 1