Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

23 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Kathi! So funny first thank you for getting back to me about the crafts question. Ok Afternoon Trivia I got 4 right.Answers Sperm Whale easy! At Whalers Village in Maui has a skeleton of a sperm whale hanging and the history of it on a chart!

Now what are the chances with #4 the pope has died we finished watching Angels and Demons on tv and they discussed the bell of San Marco!!

Now the monopoly board, this is something else!! Our neighbors were having a garage sale and our neighbor asked me when I was looking at her monopoly board “hey how many spaces on the board?” I said who cares LOL she said 40!!!!! You tell me how strange is this!!!

WOW! I got Issac Hayes in the morning!

Sorry about Falkland Islands. A long time for sea days! Look forward to more of your adventures!

Denise😊

Isn't it weird how these coincidences happen?  

Good for you Kathi! Name that tune  you getting 26 points and the others 38 is so good! DH and I would be up in the Crows Nest having a cocktail and have watched and played on our own. It is fun!

Trivia for me was only 3 but it was fun! Mexico, Bernaise, and of course Adam West! Love your fun writings Kathi! Sleep well I will look forward to tomorrow!

Denise😊

• Like 1

Too bad that they don't have someone constantly checking to make certain that the hot chocolate packets (as well as other items) are replaced on a regular basis.

Love seeing whales and other wildlife while cruising.  Copied the trivia questions for later one today.

That was a great score for playing Name that Tune on your own.

• Like 1

January 30, 2020

Antarctic Experience – Day 1

Today we spent cruising through Bransfield Strait, Admiralty Bay and Deception Island.  The narration began at 8 am (no, I was not up but that was the time listed in the “When and Where”.  I was up before 9 but could not find the commentary on the TV. 

Explorations Café was offering hot chocolate or various kinds of coffee in an insulated mug delivered to your cabin (price varied as to what you ordered).  You had to be in your cabin between 10 and 10:30 to accept it.  Mine came just before 10 and I did not want to have to carry the mug with me so I drank it before venturing outside. 

I walked up to deck three and out along the promenade deck for about thirty minutes before trying to find any of my knitting friends.  Eventually I sat by the windows in the Piano Bar and two of them found me.

There was only one trivia today, the morning one.  Only Marilyn, Rodney, Sherita, and I played. We had 9 out of 15 and three teams tied with 12 correct answers.

1.Why was beef salted to take on a ship?

2.Why did pirates wear an eye patch (other than missing an eye)?

3.In which book were Piggy and Ralph stranded on an island?

4.In tennis, what name is given to a serve that the opponent has no chance of returning?

5.Maxwell House Coffee is named after what?

6.What country makes more feature length movies than any other?

7.What mathematical constant was determined by the Babylonians in 2000 BC?

8.What was the first electronic computer called?

Worked on my Linus blanket before lunch in the Lido.  In Arts & Crafts we made chain mail earrings.

The commentary picked up again at 4 pm when we arrived at Deception Island.  This is an active volcanic island with the last eruption in 1970.  It is shaped like a horseshoe and was the first part of Antarctica to be correctly surveyed back in 1829.  It has huge colonies of chinstrap penguins.  The Bailey Head colony was the one we saw and it has about 50,000 pairs of penguins.  I was out on the deck for a little over an hour and my hands were starting to feel numb even with my gloves on – outside temperature was 34F with a force 5 wind.  (It had been warmer this morning at 37F and a slight wind.

The usual four were present for dinner.  I went to the show which was Peter Cutler who is a singer.  The show was pretty good but I wish the artists would perform more and talk less.

I arrived back to my cabin at 10:20 and it was just getting dark.

Trivia

1.to preserve it

2.so they can see in the dark

3. Lord of the Flies

4. ace

5.a hotel

6.India

7.pi

8.ENIAC

Smooth sailing until next time!

P.S.  The internet is horrible today.  I have been trying for the last three hours to get on!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Too bad that they don't have someone constantly checking to make certain that the hot chocolate packets (as well as other items) are replaced on a regular basis.

I'm wondering if they may have run out and since paper items are being eliminated they have not ordered more.  I looked four times today and found none.

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

January 30, 2020

Antarctic Experience – Day 1

Today we spent cruising through Bransfield Strait, Admiralty Bay and Deception Island.  The narration began at 8 am (no, I was not up but that was the time listed in the “When and Where”.  I was up before 9 but could not find the commentary on the TV. 

Explorations Café was offering hot chocolate or various kinds of coffee in an insulated mug delivered to your cabin (price varied as to what you ordered).  You had to be in your cabin between 10 and 10:30 to accept it.  Mine came just before 10 and I did not want to have to carry the mug with me so I drank it before venturing outside. 

I walked up to deck three and out along the promenade deck for about thirty minutes before trying to find any of my knitting friends.  Eventually I sat by the windows in the Piano Bar and two of them found me.

There was only one trivia today, the morning one.  Only Marilyn, Rodney, Sherita, and I played. We had 9 out of 15 and three teams tied with 12 correct answers.

1.Why was beef salted to take on a ship?

2.Why did pirates wear an eye patch (other than missing an eye)?

3.In which book were Piggy and Ralph stranded on an island?

4.In tennis, what name is given to a serve that the opponent has no chance of returning?

5.Maxwell House Coffee is named after what?

6.What country makes more feature length movies than any other?

7.What mathematical constant was determined by the Babylonians in 2000 BC?

8.What was the first electronic computer called?

Worked on my Linus blanket before lunch in the Lido.  In Arts & Crafts we made chain mail earrings.

The commentary picked up again at 4 pm when we arrived at Deception Island.  This is an active volcanic island with the last eruption in 1970.  It is shaped like a horseshoe and was the first part of Antarctica to be correctly surveyed back in 1829.  It has huge colonies of chinstrap penguins.  The Bailey Head colony was the one we saw and it has about 50,000 pairs of penguins.  I was out on the deck for a little over an hour and my hands were starting to feel numb even with my gloves on – outside temperature was 34F with a force 5 wind.  (It had been warmer this morning at 37F and a slight wind.

The usual four were present for dinner.  I went to the show which was Peter Cutler who is a singer.  The show was pretty good but I wish the artists would perform more and talk less.

I arrived back to my cabin at 10:20 and it was just getting dark.

Trivia

1.to preserve it

2.so they can see in the dark

3. Lord of the Flies

4. ace

5.a hotel

6.India

7.pi

8.ENIAC

P.S.  The internet is horrible today.  I have been trying for the last three hours to get on!

Don’t stress with the bad internet!!!!

Just glad your day went well! That is nice Exploration Cafe has variation Of coffees

and they had HOT CHOCOLATE IN MUGS.

Was the hot chocolate good! I would be freezing out on deck! I am not good with cold weather. Now I am impressed with my DH on Trivia! The only one he didn’t know was Maxwell House! I only got 2 right!😳

Enjoy your journey!

Denise😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I'm wondering if they may have run out and since paper items are being eliminated they have not ordered more.  I looked four times today and found none.

I think that HAL is getting too carried away with getting rid of the hot chocolate packets just because it comes in a paper packet.

• Like 1

I am loving all your reports, but especially the ones now that you are in my favorite area of the world. 

You may have found the commentary channel, but just not heard it; there are times they stop talking, and the first thought is 'what's the matter with my TV?' It was probably the station with the forward camera. 
The channel should be listed in the daily program. Just set it to that station when you go to bed, then it will be there when you wake up. 

Just wanted to say enjoying the blog.  Love all the jewelry and crafts you are making.  I enjoy the trivia even though I don’t do so well.  I like your smile especially when you are holding your purchases from the yarn store in B.A. and you are holding your bag. Thanks for keeping up with the blog.

January 31, 2020

Antarctic Experience Day 2

Today we cruised through the Neumayer Channel and Paradise Harbor.  I woke up about 8 am and the scenery was so amazing I quickly got dressed and went out on deck (I am usually a slow starter in the morning).  After freezing out on deck for a while, I picked up my computer and knitting and headed to the Lido where I thought our knitting group was meeting (turned out they went to the Piano Bar).  It was the first time I had been in the Lido while breakfast was being served, so I picked up a donut and a glass of the most horrendous orange juice I have ever tasted. 

I brought my computer so I could upload my pictures from yesterday.  It ended up taking almost two hours to get them up.  In that time I finished a crocheted cap. 

The commentary said we would pass a penguin rookery around 12:30 so I put all my layers back on and headed out to the promenade deck.  We saw hundreds of gentoo penguins at the Chilean base at Waterboat Point which is part of the Antarctic mainland.  We were told there were 15 staff at the base and they had arrived on November 15 and will leave in mid-March.

We had passed the rookery by 1 pm so I went to lunch in the Lido.  In Arts and Crafts we made a 2020 World Cruise bracelet.

I worked some on my Linus blanket before heading to the Crow’s Nest for trivia.  Somebody did not do a good job of planning because the Crow’s Nest was packed with people watching the scenery.  Eventually it was decided to move us to the Piano Bar.  Many teams had players missing and people recombined which is what we had to do.  The winning team miscounted and we actually tied with them having 15 out of 17 correct.

1.The “alligator pear” is better known as what?

2.What synthetic substance’s name comes from the Greek word for “able to be shaped”?

3.What candy replaced cigarettes in the White House in 1988?

4.Which explorer introduced pigs to North America?

5.What is the oldest European alphabet still in use today?

6.What John Denver song gave Peter, Paul, and Mary their only #1 hit?

Since there was music trivia tonight, I ate in the Lido and then went to the Crow’s Nest.  The theme was Musicals and we had two answers less than the winners with a total of 48.

We were supposed to be cruising near Palmer Station tomorrow and having some of the people working there come and talk with us.  Because of the Corona virus all visits were cancelled.  It’s too bad because they were very interesting when they came to the Prinsendam last year.

Trivia

1.avocado

2.plastic

3.M&Ms

4.Columbus

5.Greek

6.Leaving on a Jet Plane

Internet died last night before I could put this up or add the pictures to the blog.  Pictures are now up.

• Like 1

Kathi, 

I got half the trivia right. Better than I usually do. I like PP&M and guessed that - Leaving on Jet Plane - sounded most like a John Denver song. 😄

I'm glad that you're in the cold and we are cruising the Canal- even though it is raining right now. I really enjoy following along.

Carole

Hi Kath

4 right on trivia for me. Funny I thought it was Jelly beans too! I learned something 

knew.

How was your hot chocolate ? I won’t drink HAL’s nasty orange juice😊. I remember at one time it was fresh and used to watch in the lido them cutting up oranges and putting them in a machine. Haven’t seen that in ages.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery And wildlife. 
Denise😊

• Like 1

Kathy I Just read that the visitors from the research station were not coming aboard.  On another “live from” it was reported that the researchers would be on board for a couple of days and when leaving would have fresh fruits and veggies going with them.  I hope that somehow they can still get the food items.  

8 hours ago, gigianne said:

Kathy I Just read that the visitors from the research station were not coming aboard.  On another “live from” it was reported that the researchers would be on board for a couple of days and when leaving would have fresh fruits and veggies going with them.  I hope that somehow they can still get the food items.  

I expect that isn't likely.  Kathi mentioned that the visit was cancelled due to coronavirus so I will guess they did not get there at all.  That's a shame.

Roy

February 1, 2020

Antarctic Experience – Day 3

A very lazy day.  Because the day was supposed to be about Palmer Station, there was no Arts & Crafts and only afternoon trivia.  There was not good visibility for much of the day so I didn’t get any exciting photos.  There were some whale sightings but I watched those from my TV.

Sherita, Judy (Lee), and I met in the Piano Bar at 10.  Judy (Bob) came by and said she needed a nap so she would not be joining us.  Judy (Lee) was working on a shawl that Judy (Margaret) gave us the pattern for and Sherita was working on her Linus blanket.  I was taking in a shirt that for some reason I forgot to alter at home with the sewing machine.  We broke up at noon.  I went to the laundry room on deck three to iron the top I had altered.  Not one washer or dryer was in use.  They appeared to all be working even though we are restricted on water usage. They probably aren’t as popular as I have seen on other lines because most of the people on board are four star or above and get free laundry from the loyalty program. 

I worked on my Linus blanket until after 1 and then went to the Lido for lunch.  When I was finished, I made my second pitcher of tea (I tried the raspberry today since that is what I usually drink at home).  As I was waiting for it to cool, I realized the “Penguin Plunge” was going to take place at 2:30 so I read until time.

There were about 25 hardy souls who were willing to jump in the Sea View Pool.  The water was warm (steam rising from it) but the air temperature was very cold with a good wind and it was even snowing.  I was freezing with my sweatshirt and long johns on!  When I came back inside they had hot chocolate made and I had two cups to warm me up.

Worked some more on my Linus blanket and then to trivia at 4:30 which was held in the Ocean Bar since the Crow’s Nest was still being used for scenic viewing.  Quite a few players were not there so Diana and I (the only ones from our team) joined with John, Karl, and Mary Ellen (from the group that usually sits next to us), and Janet (her team did not show again today).  We had 12 out of 15 and won!

1.What is the name for a group of zebras?

2.What is the prisoner number for the lead character in Les Miserables?

3.How many stars are on the Chinese flag?

4.What is the smallest bone in the body?

5.Which nation has the largest variety of primates, amphibians, and plants?

6.Who wrote “The Tale of Peter Rabbit”?

7.What nation has four official languages – German, French, Italian, and Romansh?

8.Which city is farthest from the Equator – Cairo, Cape Town, Las Vegas, Tokyo?

After trivia I worked on the blog, did some beginning of the month banking, and worked some on my knitting.  I went out on the deck for a bit to see the snow which had started up again.

After dinner the show was another one by “The Runaround Kids”.  I think this one was better than the first.

Trivia

1.dazzle

4.stapes (We put stirrup – which is the same thing - but it was counted wrong because Matthew had only the one name on his answer list)

5.Brazil

6.Beatrix Potter

7.Switzerland

8.Las Vegas

• Like 2

Congrats on winning TRIVIA TODAY👍
I only got 3 right but that’s ok for me. 
Sounds like a lot of things go on on sea days. Polar Plunge I  cold thinking about it!! Do you get a certificate for doing it??

Snowing wow how nice to see if falling while relaxing inside.

Denise😊

• Like 1