Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

February 7, 2020

At Sea

Bonnie, Judy (Lee), Judy (Bob), Sherita, and I were at Sit and Stitch.  We wound some yarn with Rich’s help.  (He is Judy [Lee’s] husband.)

We had our poorest showing of the cruise in trivia today with only 4 out of 15 correct.  The winners had 10.

1)”URL” stands for what?

2.What is the more common name for grape sugar?

3.Bronze is an alloy of which two elements?

4.What is a monarch butterfly commonly called?

5.What country once technically fought a war against a species of bird?

6.Who said, “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful”?

7.Sakhmet was the Egyptian goddess of what? (2 things)

8.In darts, what is the highest possible score using three darts?

I worked on my Linus blanket until 1 pm and then lunch in the Lido.  We made chainmaille earring in Arts & Crafts.

After crafts I went to the Future Cruise desk and put down a deposit on the 2022 GWV.  I had originally thought I would wait until 2023 until I heard some of my friends talking the other morning.  All but one of them had battled cancer.  You never know what is ahead so I feel I need to cruise while I can.

We had a little better showing in the afternoon with 11 out of 21 but were way off of the winning team’s 18.

1.Who was elected mayor of New York City in 1933?

2.What medicine gets its name from the Greek “against life”?

3.What impoverished nation boasts the longest strip of white sand beach in the Caribbean?

4.What was the first movie to pass the one billion dollar mark in worldwide ticket sales?

5.How many hundreds of dollars could a northerner spend to stay out of the Civil War?

After trivia I went out on deck to get some pictures.  It was a beautiful day with blue skies and interesting scenery.

I worked on getting a couple of documents my daughter needs to file my taxes but the internet kept cutting out on me.  Hopefully, I can finish it up tomorrow.

I reintroduced myself to my dinner table (I had been gone two days).  There were a couple of birthday groups that repeatedly sang “Happy Birthday” throughout dinner so it was a noisy evening.  I skipped the mentalist show.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia (we missed all of these)

1.uniform resource locator

2.glucose

3.tin and copper

4.Milkweed

5.Australia

6.Mae West

7.war and healing

Afternoon trivia

1.LaGuardia

2.antibiotic

3.Dominican Republic

4.Titanic

5.$300

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

February 7, 2020

At Sea

Bonnie, Judy (Lee), Judy (Bob), Sherita, and I were at Sit and Stitch.  We wound some yarn with Rich’s help.  (He is Judy [Lee’s] husband.)

We had our poorest showing of the cruise in trivia today with only 4 out of 15 correct.  The winners had 10.

1)”URL” stands for what?

2.What is the more common name for grape sugar?

3.Bronze is an alloy of which two elements?

4.What is a monarch butterfly commonly called?

5.What country once technically fought a war against a species of bird?

6.Who said, “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful”?

7.Sakhmet was the Egyptian goddess of what? (2 things)

8.In darts, what is the highest possible score using three darts?

I worked on my Linus blanket until 1 pm and then lunch in the Lido.  We made chainmaille earring in Arts & Crafts.

After crafts I went to the Future Cruise desk and put down a deposit on the 2022 GWV.  I had originally thought I would wait until 2023 until I heard some of my friends talking the other morning.  All but one of them had battled cancer.  You never know what is ahead so I feel I need to cruise while I can.

We had a little better showing in the afternoon with 11 out of 21 but were way off of the winning team’s 18.

1.Who was elected mayor of New York City in 1933?

2.What medicine gets its name from the Greek “against life”?

3.What impoverished nation boasts the longest strip of white sand beach in the Caribbean?

4.What was the first movie to pass the one billion dollar mark in worldwide ticket sales?

5.How many hundreds of dollars could a northerner spend to stay out of the Civil War?

After trivia I went out on deck to get some pictures.  It was a beautiful day with blue skies and interesting scenery.

I worked on getting a couple of documents my daughter needs to file my taxes but the internet kept cutting out on me.  Hopefully, I can finish it up tomorrow.

I reintroduced myself to my dinner table (I had been gone two days).  There were a couple of birthday groups that repeatedly sang “Happy Birthday” throughout dinner so it was a noisy evening.  I skipped the mentalist show.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia (we missed all of these)

1.uniform resource locator

2.glucose

3.tin and copper

4.Milkweed

5.Australia

6.Mae West

7.war and healing

Afternoon trivia

1.LaGuardia

2.antibiotic

3.Dominican Republic

4.Titanic

5.$300

Smooth sailing until next time!

OMGOSH I failed miserably on trivia Kathi!!! 😞

Congrats to placing a deposit on your next World Cruise! 2022 is perfect!

Good luck on getting your taxes done! 
Hopefully the internet will be nice to you!!!

Happy Sailings Kathi!

Denise😊

• Like 2

I believe it is incredibly rude to the staff who has taken their time and effort to research questions and answers. If all the q & a are posted, that is hundreds of hours of work down the drain. Not to mention the team who will read all the posts, memorize everything and ruin it for all who enjoy playing on the ship. We love trivia and would never think to post everything. Very inconsiderate! 

@twodjs, the only thing I see Kathi as doing is extending the enjoyment of playing trivia to readers of her blog and posts.  She posts a selection of questions, not the entire set.  HAL hardly has an exclusive possession of the game.  There are many more important things in life to concern yourselves over than this.  No reason for the shaming attitude.

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 7

I enjoy reading about your adventures.  Glad you have booked another cruise.  It is so true that you never know when you can no longer cruise -- that has happened to us.

Will do the trivia questions this afternoon.  Please don't stop posting the questions and answers.  We love them.  Keeps our minds sharp.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I thought I had the “Judy (Lee), Judy (Bob)” terms figured out until you said Judy (Lee’s) husband is Rich.  So the Judy’s husbands aren’t Lee and Bob?

10 hours ago, twodjs said:

I believe it is incredibly rude to the staff who has taken their time and effort to research questions and answers. If all the q & a are posted, that is hundreds of hours of work down the drain. Not to mention the team who will read all the posts, memorize everything and ruin it for all who enjoy playing on the ship. We love trivia and would never think to post everything. Very inconsiderate! 

Speaking of “incredibly rude”.... Are you out of your mind?  Do you know how many questions there are in the world?  Do you rant at other sites on the internet for having trivia questions?  Kathi is graciously posting her trip for us and we enjoy and appreciate it.  The trivia is one of the highlights.  If you don’t feel the same then don’t read it.

• Like 6

Kathi has posted trivia for years now. I myself have enjoyed them on her past cruises. If someone is clever enough to read all her posts, memorize all the questions and answers, and regurgitate them on demand on some random future cruise... bully for them! That is a mental feat worthy of praise in my book. I feel lucky most days if I can remember where I put my car keys. 😂

• Like 8

12 hours ago, twodjs said:

Are you aware that Kathi isn't the only blogger on this cruise who posts some of the Trivia questions and answers? There is no need to single her out for criticism. 

Are you aware that at least once upon a time there was a group of cruisers who traveled a lot? And I mean several long cruises per year each. Sometimes they cruised together, but not always. 
They kept full track of every single question and answer on the Trivia sheets (which are used over and over again, btw, including keeping the same wrong answers), emailed them to each other so they all had every answer they could get, and used them to win on the ships. When sailing together, they formed an unbeatable team because they kept what amounted to duplicate answer sheets. 

No need to pick on Kathi. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow! For what is going on in our world TODAY you choose to rant about TRIVIA!

Please, I have been enjoying Kate’s blog for her last 3 WC cruises, and love seeing her trivia! My advise, relax and enjoy life!

DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! Because it is small stuff.

Go Team Kathi👍
Denise😊

• Like 7

Obviously none of the responders to our posts has ever had to create trivia questions for games - we have. It takes a lot of time and research. I'd challenge Kathi to take hours out of her day to create a 15 question trivia game from scratch. She would gain an entirely new appreciation for that work. And I'm willing to bet that she would NEVER AGAIN post q & a out of respect for the crew and guests.

RuthC - I'm picking on Kathi because she is the one posting all the questions and answers. Yes, I'm aware that others have gathered trivia q&a before. She is making it a no brainer for others to do the same. It takes all the fun out of the game when a team knows all the answers, especially when they cheated!

7 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Obviously none of the responders to our posts has ever had to create trivia questions for games - we have. It takes a lot of time and research. I'd challenge Kathi to take hours out of her day to create a 15 question trivia game from scratch. She would gain an entirely new appreciation for that work. And I'm willing to bet that she would NEVER AGAIN post q & a out of respect for the crew and guests.

RuthC - I'm picking on Kathi because she is the one posting all the questions and answers. Yes, I'm aware that others have gathered trivia q&a before. She is making it a no brainer for others to do the same. It takes all the fun out of the game when a team knows all the answers, especially when they cheated!

I’m willing to bet the questions are all computer generated, I’ve seen the CD using the laptop,if you honestly believe they are researching every question by hand, why don’t you apply for the job.

Go team Kathi, Sherita and Snort.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion, and you are certainly entitled to yours.  I have sailed on most of the mass market lines and have enjoyed trivia on all of them.  The people conducting the trivia are not the people coming up with the questions and answers.  The cruise lines have prepared the trivia questions in advance and they are just reading them off a sheet that has been provided to them.  

In regards to Kathi posting some of the trivia questions, many of the people who follow her thread enjoy those trivia questions as it has always been part of her past threads on her longer cruises.  Hopefully by now you have seen enough posts by other CC members who do enjoy the trivia questions, that shows how many people do value the trivia questions.  If you honestly believe that people are writing down those questions and answers so that they can win the next time they play, then I believe that you may be mistaken.  People just enjoy the trivia questions from Kathi and the other CC members who post them on their thread.  It takes extra work for them to keep track of those questions and answers so I don't think their intention is to denigrate the work that some one did on those trivia questions, it is to give some enjoyment to the people that are following their travel thread.  

If that bothers you so much, then there is a simple solution, just stop following the threads of those who do post the trivia questions.  That way everyone is happy.  Those of us who enjoy the trivia questions can continue doing so, and you won't be upset when they do.

In the past I have put together trivia quizzes and although it does take a little work to do, I would never accuse someone of cheating just because they share trivia questions and answers.  As others have stated, some long time cruisers know most of the questions and answers from previous cruises.

Edited by travelnap
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

You assume too much.

I used to conduct classes for my employer, and would research facts unique to that company to use as trivia questions for a fun de-stressing activity.  And I did this on the weekends. It was fun to do.

I often heard from former attendees that they would go back to their area and stump their colleagues with the questions. I actually felt that my efforts were even more appreciated because they did this.  

• Like 4

Thank you, Scrapnana, for trying to keep our minds sharp.

It has already been a long winter here in Port Angeles, Washington.  More rain than usual and some snow.  I wish we could share with Australia.

Twodj's, there is a long history of trivia here.  Sometimes friendships blossom, and sometimes true colors rise to the surface.  Trivia is supposed to be fun.  Some people have taken it far too seriously, etc.  I have heard tales of arguments, cheating, unkindness, and worse.  Holland America continues to change the perks, so they need no sympathy.  I assume that the staff and crew get paid.  We know that we pay our part. 

Keep Trivia fun and challenging.

Barbara

Port Angeles,

Washington

• Like 4

The cruise line staff don't create the questions, as stated by several above. They usually read them from books of trivia questions. You're obviously outnumbered with your outrage over Kathi posting some of the questions each day. In so many words, "Get over it."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

I won't speak for Kathi as she is obviously quite eloquent and needs no help, but I know how much time and effort a teacher puts into developing lesson plans and tests and labs and the like; my daughter teaches 7th and 8 grade honors science and works long, unpaid hours doing so and would never, ever consider telling any co-worker or student not to share and propagate the knowledge she strives to impart.  Being that Kathi is a retired teacher, I feel confident she has done the same.

I'd be willing to bet Kathi could easily come up with lots of questions and answers.  She's hardly the only cruiser posting samples of trivia game questions.  What's the point of trivia if not to learn and share?  Nothing is so obvious as your out-of-proportion exaggerations and indignation.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I’m willing to bet the questions are all computer generated, I’ve seen the CD using the laptop,if you honestly believe they are researching every question by hand, why don’t you apply for the job.

Go team Kathi, Sherita and Snort.

Sherita and Snort reporting in here. There’s no cheating going on at trivia! Not by our team or any other on the ship. We occasionally hear a question that was asked a year or two prior and we all wrack our brains trying to remember what the answer is or was. Most of the time we remember wrong. 

twodjs - While you are most certainly entitled to your opinion and to posting same here, please be aware that you are massively outnumbered on this thread by people who enjoy the blog and love Kathi’s  trivia q and a. 

Please direct your hostile attitude elsewhere. 

Namaste. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2