Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

February 13, 2020

At Sea

There was a “Where in the World?” trivia at 10 with the exc guide, Glenn-Michael.  There were 15 slides of famous places and you had to name the city and country and 8 bonus questions.  I (played by myself) ended up with 48 out of 62.  The winning team had 52.  Here are a few of the bonus questions.

1.In what movie did Bing Crosby first sing “White Christmas”?

2.What is the answer when you divide 50 by ½ and then add 40?

3.Name three consecutive days that do not include Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday.

4.Who designed the Statue of Liberty?

It was about 10:30 when the trivia was over so I went to the Crow’s Nest for Sit and Stitch.  Sherita brought a friend who is learning to crochet.  I started a new project.

Morning trivia had all of us present and we had a score of 10 out of 15.  The winners had 12.

1.In 1862, Bucharest became the capital of what country?

2.In the NATO phonetic alphabet what is “H”?

3.In what country are the “Southern Alps”?

4.How many countries border the Black Sea?

5.What is the rarest combination of hair and eye color?

My Linus blanket is coming along nicely and I should finish it by the day after Easter Island if not before.  Once again, Sherita joined me for lunch and then Arts & Crafts.  Today we made a lava stone necklace and we will make the matching earrings tomorrow.

I went to Guest Services to have copies made of a note for those who are showing their cabins for the Cabin Crawl and then delivered them before afternoon trivia.  We had 12 out of 17 and the winners tied with 15.

1.What was Boeing’s first commercial jet liner?

2.Why do farmers in parts of China keep ducks in their rice fields?

3.What country is the worlds largest producer of cheese?

4.The retina of the eye has rods and cones.  Which allows us to see color?

5.Who was the first Pope to visit Africa?

6.Which is the only American singing group to have 12 consecutive #1 singles?

We sat and talked for some time after trivia and then I started working on the blog since I definitely will be going to the show tonight.

Only Lenora and I were present for dinner.  We finished shortly after nine so I stopped by my cabin to get my knitting and then went to the show which was the group, Abba Fab.  They of course sing ABBA songs.  I have seen them on numerous cruises and they are always a popular act.  The cast was different this time and the couple who started Abba Fab (Terry and Ann) were not in it.  It still was great and it got people up and dancing in the aisles.  They will perform again in a few days.

Another day at sea tomorrow.

Where in the World? Bonus questions

1.Holiday Inn

3.Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

4.Eiffel

Morning trivia

1.Romania

2.hotel

3.New Zealand

5.red hair, blue eyes

Afternoon trivia

2.to control insects

3.USA

4.cones

5.Paul VI

6.The Supremes

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, cat shepard said:

Kathi, thank you for another great post. Gorgeous pictures. And a big shout out to Roy @rafinmd for sharing his pic posting tip.

This is the second time Roy has helped me.  When I switched from using an iPad for my blog to a Surface Pro, he gave me the name of a free, easy-to-use resizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingsbetterthanflying said:

Hi Ruth C

I saw your name on an old post about JJ from Holland American and I wondered if you knew my aunt Hansi Bratt? She gave me the cruising bug!!

Lisa

The name sounds vaguely familiar, but sorry, other than that I can't place her. My memory isn't what it used to be. 

On 2/13/2020 at 11:40 PM, rafinmd said:

Kathi, just a bit of a heads up.  Tonga has banned all cruise ship visits due to coronavirus.  That could change before you arrive but one possibility is you might end up in Fiji instead.

Roy

I would like that change.  I have been to Tonga but not to Fiji. 

There has been no talk about this (or at least any I have heard).

• Like 1

February 14, 2020 - Valentine’s Day

At Sea

My day began with Sit and Stitch with all the group present.  Sherita needed a ball of yarn to finish her Linus blanket so I went down with her and while she chose hers, I found yarn for my next one.  Marty (in charge of the Linus Project) announced that 205 had been finished and the yarn was just about gone.  He had made contact with a friend who found a wholesaler in Sydney willing to sell us yarn.  Only problem was money.  He was asking for donations that would be matched by an anonymous donor onboard and HAL was going to give some as well.  He is hoping for 500 blankets by the end of the cruise which would be the most on any World Voyage.

All of us were present for morning trivia.  We had 9 out of 15 and the winners had 11.

1.Released in 1975, “High Voltage” was the debut album by what hard rock band?

2.Valentine’s Day evolved from what ancient Roman festival?

3.How many Valentine cards are sent in a year – 500 million, 10 Billion, or 1 billion?

4.What is the “hallux” on the human body?

5.What is the Russian equivalent for the first name “John”?

After trivia I returned to my cabin to find my beds had been separated.  I had requested two twins (instead of a king) when I booked.  When I went to my cabin the first day, I had a king.  I decided to leave it and see how I liked it.  Earlier this week I decided I wanted to have the bed separated.  I had two main reasons.  The first was that I wanted to stand in front of the window to look out.  For some reason all but the four newest HAL ships have the bed under the window in oceanview cabins.  The other reason was so that I could reach my suitcases under the bed so I can put things I don’t need into them. 

There was a box of candy and a rose on the bed from HAL for Valentine’s Day.  I spent some time redecorating and moved one of the two night stands to the end of the bed I am not using.  Now I can walk directly up to the window to look out.

I also finished all but the last six rows of my Linus blanket before heading to lunch in the Lido.  As I was getting out of the elevator there was a crowd looking at the staircase.  A moment later the waitstaff started down the steps with trays of food for the “Valentine’s Chocolate Surprise”.  Lots of pretty pink goodies but not much chocolate.

In Arts & Crafts we made the earrings to match the lava necklace from yesterday.  I left the chain off of mine since I don’t usually wear dangly earrings.

In afternoon trivia we had 12 out of 22 with the winners having 18.  It was a Valentine’s Day themed trivia.

1.Which region of France is Champagne in – NE, NW, SW, or SE?

2.What is the only Shakespeare play that has “love” in its title?

3.How many different men was Elizabeth Taylor married to?

4.Pauline Collins won a Tony and was nominated for an Oscar for playing this appropriately name character.

5.Ivory Coast, Ghana, Indonesia, Nigeria and Cameroon are the five largest producers of cocoa.  Which of these is #1?

I spent some time out on deck 9 while walking back to my cabin.  It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and a slight breeze to keep it from getting too hot.

I finished my third Linus blanket before getting dressed for dinner.  Tonight was a Gala Night with a Valentine theme.  Everything was decorated with hearts.

I debated going to the show but ended up going since we get an extra hour of sleep tonight.  It was called “Amour” and featured love songs performed by the Amsterdam singers and dancers.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.AC/DC

2.Lupercalia

3.1 billion

4.big toe

5.Ivan

Afternoon trivia

1.NE

2.Love’s Labour’s Lost

4.Shirley Valentine

5.Ivory Coast

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 2:05 AM, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Was there much discussion about the designer of the Statue of Liberty? I thought Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi designed it and Eiffel helped with the metal structure.

Nobody said anything but it was not a regular trivia.

February 15, 2020

At Sea

Judy (Lee) taught me how to do a large “Granny Square” for my next Linus blanket.  I picked out a cheerful bubblegum pink and yellow color scheme the other day.  I took my last blanket down at 11:15 and then went to the Ocean’s Bar for trivia.  All of us were present and we tied with 11 out of 15.

1.What are the two main ingredients in a “Cuba Libre”?

2.Rhytiphobia is the fear of what?

3.What country is home to Angel Falls?

4.The Royal Palace in Amsterdam is located in what square?

5.What is the most common kind of star found in the Milky Way?

6.Released in 1941, what is the only Disney animated full-length feature in which the title character does not speak?

After trivia I tried to upload my pictures from yesterday but the internet was still not working.  We have had terrible reception through most of the cruise.  Hopefully, it will get better.  Since I could not get my pictures up I worked on my new Linus blanket until 1:15 when I went to lunch in the Lido.

In arts & crafts we made a Maoi pendant and earrings.  Afterwards I went to Guest Services and had my “Reminder” note for the Cabin Crawl copied.  Before afternoon trivia I delivered them to decks one and two and completed distributing to decks 3, 6, and 7 after trivia.

Afternoon trivia was a special Nautical themed one.  Third Officer Cian gave the questions and they were tough.  The winning team only had 9 out of 16.  We had four.

1.Which is further west – the Panama Canal or Fort Lauderdale?

2.What is the name of the southern tip of Africa?

3.What is the equivalent of one nautical mile in kilometers or miles?

4.How many points (not degrees) are on a compass?

5.What is the meaning of five short rapid blasts?

Because there was a game tonight, I had decided not to eat in the dining room.  So when I finished my deliveries, I tried the internet again.  It was very spotty at first (I got kicked off five times while trying to post something on Cruise Critic) but got better and I was able to get my pictures up in under 30 minutes.

I had dinner in the Lido and then sat out by the pool until time to go to the Crow’s Nest for the game Taboo.  There were only seven of us playing but we had fun.  I was planning on calling it a night but as I was waiting for the elevator a lady started telling me how fantastic the show was and she was going back to see the 9:30 show.  I decided to go and was very glad I did.  It was billed as “A unique non-stop musical adventure ‘Around the World’ with pianist Naki Ataman.”  He had composed a compilation of songs from a number of countries (I think it was 17) for the UN.  It was all tied together with the title song from “Around the World in Eighty Days”.  He played for 45 minutes straight with accompaniment from the drummer (Grahame) and a cello player (didn’t catch his name).

Easter Island tomorrow (hopefully!).

Morning trivia

1.rum and coke

2.wrinkles

3.Venezuela

4.Dam Square

5.red dwarf

6.Dumbo

Afternoon trivia

1.Fort Lauderdale

2.Cape Aguhlas

3.1.85 km or 1.15 miles

5.What are your intentions?

• Like 1

Kathi - Great idea on having Guest Services copy your Meet and Greet reminder for you!

Are they delivering them for you or are you doing it?  And, if you don’t mind me asking, was there a charge for the copying and/or delivering?  (I’m curious if it is different on a World Cruise).  Thanks 🙂 

Kathi, so glad you got to hear Naki.  When he was on several segments on the Prinsendam three years ago, we never missed a performance.  An officer friend invited him to have dinner with us one night.  He is a very nice, interesting person.  It turns out he spent his last two years of high school in Texas, and we graduated from the same high school, but not the same year.  Talk about a small world.

If I remember correctly, his original show for the UN conference had 24 countries represented.  He has cut it to 17 or 19 to fit the show times on HAL.  His second show is also very good.

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was thinking Naki Ataman was on the Grand South America but was mistaken.  He was on my Prinsendam transatlantic in 2017 and I've seen him several times on Crystal.

Roy

Roy, if the TA was the one from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale in November 2017, then we were on the same cruise.  That was the one where we met Nake.

Lenda