Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

12 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

Did you and Sherita have the same level GTY? That's a shame hers is so much smaller.

My trivia ability has not changed - 😞

Thanks, Kathi.

Actually I had an "F" guarantee and she had an "EE".  I got a "D" and she got an "EE".  She is a 5* and I am only a 4*.  Go figure.  She is on the list to possibly change cabins after Rio (nothing is available now).

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The adventure begins!  I just returned from an appointment driving through a snow squall and I couldn’t wait to read your update.  Sorry it is cold but your shawls are beautiful!  No wonder you couldn’t choose!  And a win at trivia...but I now have to google the 4th US state with new in its name as I can only come up with 3.  I’m getting ready for a face palm moment.  Oh and love all your storage in this cabin!

edited to add: New Hampshire...how could I forget the one closest to where I grew up?!  I told you it would be a face palm!

Don't feel bad - I initially forgot New Hampshire also!

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

I don't know why HAL does that, and it makes me so angry. I request a table for 6 because I want to dine with 5 other people, not because I want a large table per se. Then they do put me at that table size, but with only a couple more people! I look around and see other large tables with few people, too. 
I just don't get it; it sure is disappointing. Happy you were able to switch. 

As few people as there are at second sitting and as many that like to eat early, I wouldn't be surprised to see set dining times disappear (which would make me very unhappy and is one reason why I don't cruise NCL).

• Like 1

January 6, 2020

At Sea

We lost an hour of sleep last night so I slept to the new 9:45. On the last world cruise a group of us got together in the Crow’s Nest at 10 for knitting, crocheting, etc.  We had not set up anything this time but I knew I needed to go to the “Sit, Knit, Needlework, Project Linus, and More” in the Explorer’s Lounge at 10:30.  I had made six blankets for Project Linus at home and wanted to turn them in.  Lots of yarn is donated each year and a few hundred blankets are made onboard.  These are given to children in need in hospitals, shelters, etc.  Holland America partners with the Project Linus organization and sends the yarn to the ship and the finished blankets to the organization.  I picked up some yarn that I will work on in my cabin to make another blanket.

I met the three Judys from 2018 (I knew two were on the cruise but did not know the third one was – she was the lady who taught me how to knit socks).  We all agreed that unless you had a window seat, the light in the Explorer’s Lounge was not good and we will start meeting in the Crow’s Nest tomorrow.

Trivia was at 11:45.  I forgot to mention yesterday that there are no prizes for trivia anymore.  When I first started cruising with Holland America, the prizes were usually HAL pins from different regions (Panama Canal, Pacific, Alaska, etc.) or sometimes a free drink for each person in the group.  Then they went to vouchers that could be turned in for Amazon gift cards for everyone who participated.  Now they say they have stopped the vouchers to save paper.  We are playing just for fun. 

We only had five players (Margaret did not come today).  We once again had 9 out of 15 correct with the winners having 11 correct.
1.How many eggs is a Queen Bee capable of laying each day – 200, 1000, or 2000?
2.What type of bird is on the flag of Dominica?
3.What was the first city to reach a population of 1 million?
4.What is the top selling brand of cookie in the US?
5.English artist Andy Brown created a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II with what?
6.Which side of a book are the even pages usually on?

I returned to my cabin and started on my Project Linus blanket before heading to lunch.  Sat after lunch reading while waiting for Arts & Crafts.  Today we made a lanyard pouch.

Afternoon trivia was at 4 pm. Our standard five were present.  Once again, we won with 14.5 out of 17.

1.How many states are in Australia?
2.Which Kevin Costner opus was the most expensive movie ever made until Titanic?
3.What island off the coast of Venezuela has the world’s largest asphalt lake? (we missed this one)
4.What was the first Arnold Schwarzenegger movie to win four Academy Awards?
5.What river were Lewis and Clark hoping the Missouri would connect with?
6.What company developed the Pentium processor for computers?

After trivia I rushed back to my cabin to change for the first “Gala” night.  The Captain’s Welcome Aboard Reception started at 4:30 but he did not actually introduce the officers until 5pm so I made it with time to spare.  I had decided to eat at Sherita’s early sitting table (much like I had my "other table" in 2019) since the couple I will be eating with were not going to be in the dining room tonight and I did not wish to eat alone again.   I had a margarita at the reception and then grabbed another one as I was leaving to take to dinner.

Gala Night meals are usually very good and tonight was no exception.  I had a jumbo shrimp cocktail (although the shrimp were more “large” than “jumbo”), a cold three berry minestrone (not sure why it was called minestrone) soup, surf and turf, and a raspberry tart for dessert.

Went to the show after dinner.  The performer was John Bressler a pianist, composer, and comedian.  It was a good show.  After usually going to the late show, with very few in attendance, it was amazing to see most seats filled in The Mainstage.

One more sea day before our first port – Roseau, Dominica.

Morning trivia

2.parrot
3.Rome
4.Oreos
5.tea bags
6.left

Afternoon trivia
2.Waterworld
3.Trinidad
4.Terminator 2
5.Columbia (Rodney, the Australian, knew this one)
6.Intel

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 2

Kathi, on Amsterdam last summer, we had wonderful waiters, Eddy and Leo (previously on Prinsendam with us) and wine steward, Jonathan.  We were in open seating, so if they are still there, they may not be in your area, but we would like to send them our regards!  Our friends Jane and John (from the Prinsendam in the Amazon - I think you met them) were just off the Amsterdam before it went to FLL, and they also thought Eddy, Leo, and Jonathan were great.  

Sounds like you are doing very well at Trivia.  😀

Hi Kathy, 

Enjoying your blog and post very much! Will be on Amsterdam for the Grand Voyage in October!  Wondering if Amsterdam has the pizza place in the back of the lido like Rotterdam?

thanks for letting us enjoy your trip

2 hours ago, hmatt said:

Hi Kathy, 

Enjoying your blog and post very much! Will be on Amsterdam for the Grand Voyage in October!  Wondering if Amsterdam has the pizza place in the back of the lido like Rotterdam?

thanks for letting us enjoy your trip

No pizza "place" but they do have a couple of types of pizza available in the Lido on the starboard side at lunch.  I have not yet tried it because it does not look as good as the pizza on Prinsendam last year.

January 7, 2020

At Sea

I did not sleep well last night, waking up four times.  I think I am having issues with the pillows although I usually like the HAL pillows.

There were only four of us at knitting – Judy, Judy, Judy, and me.   I started a new pair of socks.

Five of us at trivia.  Margaret has left our team and trivia.  We are looking for someone to join us.  Today was not our day.  We had only 8 out of 15 with the winners having 11.

1.What bird lays an egg that is roughly a quarter of its body weight?

2.What is the oldest city in the world?

3.What famous general was once attacked by rabbits?

4.The “Buddha Hand” is a type of what?

5.Who is the most decorated Olympian of all time?

6.Who shot J.R.?

After trivia I returned to my cabin and worked on my Project Linus blanket before heading to the Lido for lunch.  Started reading a new cozy mystery.

In Arts & Crafts we made a daffodil pouch.  Afterwards, I sat by the pool in the sun until time for afternoon trivia.

Our afternoon winning streak came to an end.  We had 10 out of 15 and the winners had 14.

1.Which country eats the most potatoes per capita?

2.Name the terrestrial planets.

3.What is the full name of “good” cholesterol?

4.On which island was Nelson Mandela imprisoned for 27 years?

5.What is the correct terminology for the killing of a king?

6.What mineral is nicknamed “Alaskan diamond”?

Because there was music trivia tonight, I decided to eat in the Lido.  Music trivia was on the 50s and 60s and was one of those where points are freely given for singing and dancing along.  Sherita and I played with a couple we met, Sandy and Arnie.  Although we did not win, we had fun.

I skipped the show since I was getting sleepy after my lousy sleep last night.

Tomorrow is our first port – Roseau, Dominica. 

Morning trivia

1.kiwi

2.Damascus

3.Napoleon

4.fruit

5.Michael Phelps

6.Kristin

Afternoon trivia

1.Belarus (don’t feel bad - no team got it – they eat 181 kilos per person per year [that is 399 pounds!])

2.Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars

3.high density lipoprotein

4.Robben Island

5.regicide

6.quartz

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:07 PM, hmatt said:

Wondering if Amsterdam has the pizza place in the back of the lido like Rotterdam?

They were just putting out the pizza as I was passing by this morning so I snapped this picture.1576926240_IMG_6500(Medium).thumb.JPG.12f422465b56eed356f0d9007f978a97.JPG

January 8, 2020

Roseau, Dominica

I had a really good night’s sleep – I cheated and took an Ambien.  Since I had no excursion today, I slept until about 9:30.

My plan was to just walk around the town which is what I did.  Nothing real exciting in town and my only purchase was a fridge magnet.  I was back on the ship by 11.

When I returned to the ship, I changed into my bathing suit and went to lunch in the Lido and then out to the Sea View pool to spend the afternoon.  I was able to get my half mile swim in even though a number of people came and went from the pool.

Sail-away and trivia were both set for 4:30.  Marilyn was my only teammate who showed up but she had to leave early for Mass.  I joined with people from other teams (who also had partners that weren’t there).  We did horribly with only 7 out of 17.  The winning team had 14.5.

1.The Volga River flows into which sea?

2.What is the name for a group of standing giraffes?

3.Which group of islands lie about 300 miles southwest of India?

4.What is opposite of claustrophobia?

5.Which island in the English Channel was known as Sarnia to the Romans?

6.Can giraffes swim?

After trivia I went out on the deck to watch our scenic sail around Dominica.  I watched the sun set before checking out the sail-away party which had already broken up.  We have less than 100 miles to go to St. Lucia tomorrow.

I moved to my new table with Mike and Kathy tonight.  Another lady, named Lenore, had also joined the table.  She has a roommate who is also supposed to be at the table but Lenore says she seldom goes to dinner.

We did not leave the dining room until 9:45 so I passed on the show which was a man who plays different musical instruments (I think I have seen him before).

Trivia

1.Caspian Sea

2.tower

3.Maldives

4.agoraphobia

5.Guernsey

6.no

• Like 3

Thanks for the picture of the pizza, doesn't look too bad especially if you can get it when it's hot! Pizza place on Rotterdam was all by itself in the back of the Lido by the pool, made fresh pizzas to order, they were good. So glad you had a good night sleep, I love a good sleep! Been very nice reading about your cruise, stay well and keep having fun 

Debbie

January 9, 2020

Castries, St. Lucia

I slept well again and woke up after we had arrived in port.  For one of the few days during the entire world cruise, we were in port with two other ships – Carnival Fascination and Freedom of the Seas.

I am not being a very good tourist as I did not book a tour today either.  Walking around was my plan again.  To get out of the port area you had to walk through the duty free shops which were very busy with the people from Freedom OTS (it can hold a maximum of 4900!) – I did not see many people from our ship shopping. 

To get into town I chose to take the ferry which was $5 roundtrip.  I walked around the main street which was very busy and looked at the two craft markets which were close by.  I bought my magnet and something for the grandkids so I did my part for the economy.

After taking the ferry back to the ship, I had lunch and then headed to the pool.  I swam for an hour and had the pool to myself for most of that time.  I then sat out (it was a mixture of sun and clouds and we even had a short drizzle) for another hour.

All aboard was at 4:30 and that was also the time of trivia.  I was the only one from my team so I joined the team next to me who was also missing people.  Surprisingly, we tied another team with 13 out of 17 for the win.

1.How many eyes are on a US$1 bill?  (No cheating!)

2.What animal did the Romans call a Camelopardalis because they thought it looked like a cross between a camel and a leopard?

3.What image was on the first jigsaw puzzle – a church, a map of England, or a windmill?

4.What New England state was an independent republic for 14 years?

5.What country gave up their escudo and adopted the Euro in 2002?

6.What Southern hemisphere country is the largest producer of wool?

We started pulling away from the pier as trivia finished.  I went out on the deck to watch the sail-away.  We had a sudden downpour that sent people scurrying.  Once the rain passed I returned to the deck and watched us sail out until time to get ready for dinner.

On past cruises I have stopped by the Piano Bar before dinner because it was on my way to the dining room.  I had not done so yet this cruise (and it is a tad out of the way since I am towards the aft) but I had extra time so I decided to do so.  The piano entertainer is Diane Slagle from Ketchikan.  She played a number of songs upon request (I asked for “Somewhere Beyond the Sea”).  She starts at 7:30 (dinner is at 😎 while in previous years the piano entertainer started at 7 and finished about 7:45.  I’ve noticed a number of times on this cruise (including early sitting and trivia) that differed from previous cruises.

Four of us were present for dinner.  The entertainment was a magician so instead I went to the Crow’s Nest to watch the Station Band perform.  I don’t think I ever did that on the 2018 GWV other than the time we crossed the Equator and the Prime Meridian at the same time.  There were only about twelve people in the Crow’s Nest and I left after about twenty minutes to write the blog.

We lose another hour tonight.

Trivia

2.giraffe

3.map of England

4.Vermont

5.Portugal

6.Australia

• Like 1