Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

January 26, 2020

At Sea

Finally, a nice restful sea day.  For me, it started with our second Cruise Critic Meet and Greet.  We had about 35-40 people attend.  We discussed the cabin crawl and slot pull.

I talked with Judy (Bob), Judy (Lee), and Bonnie before leaving for trivia.  We had 10 out of 15 and the winners (two teams tied) had 12.

1.HBO’s Game of Thrones is based on a series of books by which author?

2.What is the only king in a deck of cards without a moustache?

3.An Anemometer is used to measure what?

4.In the Chinese calendar, what is the symbol for this new year?

5.Hydrology is the study of what?

After working on my Linus blanket I had lunch in the Lido.  In arts and crafts we finished our necklace with South American stones and worked on some fleece articles in preparation for the Antarctic.  We finished late so I went directly to the Crow’s Nest for afternoon trivia.  Only four of us present and we had 12 out of 18.  Winners had 16.

1.What is the word for a British village without a church?

2.Who was the second woman Prime Minister of the U.K.?      

3.In what decade were bar code scanners and UPC codes first used?

4.What is the longest South American county and only legalized divorce in 2005?

5.What constellation is on the Australian flag?

6.The “Golden Rectangle” is an upscale fashion district in what city?                                                 

My morning plan had been to swim after trivia but as the day progressed it got cooler and the sea got rougher, so no swimming.

There was no celebration of Australia Day as there has been on all my other January cruises – very disappointing.  There also had been nothing done for Burns’ Day yesterday.

It was a Gala Night and we had a hosted table.  The Environmental Officer, Eddie, dined with us.  He’s from the UK.  He told us a number of stories about his life at sea and we laughed a lot.

I think I saw the show (Dance) previously so I passed on it.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.George R.R. Martin

2.hearts

3.wind speed

4.rat

5.water

Afternoon trivia

1.hamlet

2.Teresa May

3.1970s

4.Chile

5.Southern Cross (crux)

6.Milan

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 2

I dropped in on Trivia last night [Eurodam] Very few of your type questions. Maybe it was just because it was opening night?

Or World Cruisers are a more demanding group. 😜

A three night win gets you a bottle of sparkling wine [we are 10 days here - 4 sea days].

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

It was a Gala Night and we had a hosted table.  The Environmental Officer, Eddie, dined with us.  He’s from the UK.  He told us a number of stories about his life at sea and we laughed a lot.

How nice to have a hosted table Kathi and even better if he had you laughing a lot 🙂 

12 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I dropped in on Trivia last night [Eurodam] Very few of your type questions. Maybe it was just because it was opening night?

Or World Cruisers are a more demanding group. 😜

A three night win gets you a bottle of sparkling wine [we are 10 days here - 4 sea days].

Interesting to hear that HAL is willing to give prizes for trivia.  I wonder if it has something to do with the cruise director???

January 27, 2020

At Sea

As we are now below 48 degrees south latitude the temperature had taken a big nosedive (as I type this the outside temperature is 46F), therefore I have brought out my long sleeved blouses and long pants and retired the short sleeves and capris for the next 10-14 days.

With all the new yarn purchased, I took my swift and winder up to the Crow’s Nest at 9:30 and began winding some yarn cakes.  Sherita and Judy (Bob) also wound a couple.

Morning trivia gave us only 7 out of 15 points with two teams tied for the win with 10 points.

1.What is the main visual element in impressionist painting?

2.What is the highest peak in Scotland?

3.What was the name of the dog on “The Brady Bunch”?

4.What is 1/10 of a nautical mile called?

5.How many pencils could be produced from the carbon in an average human body – 3000, 9000, or 5000?

6.Which evolved first – trees, humans, cockroaches, or sharks?

7.What was mainly used by the ancient Egyptians to make pillows?

Two years ago when I did the Grand World Voyage there was a Captain’s Dinner in the Pinnacle Grill (the upcharge dining room) once a week for almost the entire cruise.  Some of the passengers on for the entire voyage were invited each week.   I had heard rumors this year that it had been done away with which was confirmed by the Environmental Officer who hosted our table last night.  When I returned to my cabin after trivia the invitation had been delivered for the March 5th Captain’s Gala Dinner in the MDR which is the replacement.

I had a few things to take care of after trivia so I did not work on my Linus blanket as usual. 

In arts and crafts we finished our fleece neck warmers and ear warmers and also made a pair of leather earrings.

I got some work done on my Linus blanket before going to the Crow’s Nest for afternoon trivia.  We only had four players so we invited Fred (who did not have a team today) to join us.  We did a little better than we have been with 19 out of 24 but the winners had 21.

1.How many players on a cricket team?

2.Roy Fitzgerald is better known by what name?

3.What is the name of the taxi company in the “Taxi” TV series?

4.What cut of beef is between the tenderloin and rump?

5.How many international time zones are there?

6.Name the four “Golden Girls”? (1/2 point each)

Since it was too chilly to swim or even walk around the open deck without a jacket, I had about two hours before dinner.  I worked on the blog and finished my current mystery with the sun streaming in my window.  The captain said at noon that the wind and seas would die down this afternoon and they have.

Four of us for dinner.  I stopped by the show featuring an illusionist, Ruben Vilagrand who I believe I have seen before.

Port Stanley in the Falklands (or Malvinas if you are Argentinian) tomorrow.

Morning trivia

1.color

2.Ben Nevis

3.Tiger

4.cable

6.sharks

7.stones

Evening trivia

2.Rock Hudson

3.Sunshine

4.sirloin

6.Rose, Blanche, Sophia, and Dorothy

• Like 2

Thank God I finally got 9!!!!!! Trivia questions right! Yah TEAM DENISE👍

WOW cold weather coming for awhile.

Question? Kathi when you do your arts and crafts classes do you have to sign up early to get a seat in class or is it open to all who want to attend?

Happy Sailings

Denise😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Question? Kathi when you do your arts and crafts classes do you have to sign up early to get a seat in class or is it open to all who want to attend?

Happy Sailings

Denise😊

I was awful. Got 7. Not that I want to admit it. Good for you team Denise!

• Like 1

That is a shame that the captain's dinner for the World Cruise people has been discontinued.  Guess there are just too many of you this year.

Will do the trivia questions later this afternoon.

Hope the seas stay calm and you get to tender into the Falkland Islands.

The neck warmer, ear warmer and ear rings are lovely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Happy Sailings

Denise😊

Our team really needs you for trivia!!!

Two years ago Nancy was told by HAL (and given the money for) to prepare for 50 people.  She expected a bigger crowd and made enough for at least 100.  She did the GWV last year and must have come to some agreement with HAL because this year she has at least 125.  I have not seen anyone turned away although people do try to get there (port side of Lido) early.

Two years ago there was quite a discussion since more people wanted to make crafts (mainly the jewelry) that Nancy had supplies.  At one point in time we were told you could come early and get a ticket and then come back right before the start of class.  As I remember, that lasted one day.

• Thanks 1

January 28, 2020

Port Stanley, the Falkland Islands (almost)

I was awakened just after 7:30 with the captain announcing that water was sloshing over the tender pier and that people with ambulatory issues might not want to go ashore.  About 20 minutes later he announced that the port had been cancelled.  Celebrity Eclipse had arrived about 90 minutes before us and already had a couple of hundred people on land but had to round them up and bring them back because the harbor master had determined it was not safe.  We had cloudy, rainy skies almost all morning and then some fog.  By 4 pm there were some blue skies and the sun even peeked out some.

The daily schedule was revised and delivered by 10 am - a morning trivia was added as well as Arts & Crafts (which we don’t have on port days).

We had knitting as usual in the Crow’s Nest and had Nancy and Cathy (who do the crafts) join us for a while. 

Margaret did not join us for morning trivia.  We had only 7 out of 15 but the winning team had 11.

1.Who won an Oscar for the theme from “Shaft”?

2.What character appeared in three of Shakespeare’s plays?

3.Pimento is used as a type of what in the Caribbean?

4.Hobart is the capital of which Australian state?

5.Nephophobia is the fear of what?

6.What poison is in apple seeds?

I worked on my Linus blanket (which is almost half finished) and then to lunch in the Lido.

In arts and crafts we made a card.

Since we are in cooler climes I had my first hot chocolate of the cruise.  Although it was tasty, it was not as good as I remembered from last year.  I think I will go back to making my own (hot chocolate packet from the Lido with hot water and cream).

We did better in afternoon trivia with 11 out of 15 but were still off from the winning team’s 13.  Mary and Cathy (whose team often has too many players and someone gets booted off for the day) joined us as Margaret does not do afternoon trivia and Sherita has stopped because it is so close to her dinner time.

1.Which species of whale dives the deepest and stays down the longest?

2.How many spaces are on a Monopoly board?

3.What cocktail was created when oilmen used their tools to stir it?

4.When the bell of San Marco is rung, what does it mean?

5.Which element has the lowest boiling point?

6.Which country consumes the most beer per capita?

After trivia Mary, Diana, and I had an interesting discussion on politics.  Fascinating conversation with an Australian, Canadian and American.

Four of us for dinner as usual.  The show was called The Runaround Kids and featured music of the 50s and 60s – perfect for this crowd since there are likely no more than ten passengers who were not alive during that time.

We now have seven sea days in a row making a total of ten between Montevideo and Ushuaia.  I can hear some of my friends who don’t like sea days gasping from all this distance!

Morning trivia

1.Isaac Hayes

2.Falstaff

3.spice

4.Tasmania

5.clouds

6.cyanide

Afternoon trivia

1.sperm whale

3.screwdriver

4.the pope has died

5.Helium

6.Czech Republic

• Like 4

Kathi! So funny first thank you for getting back to me about the crafts question. Ok Afternoon Trivia I got 4 right.Answers Sperm Whale easy! At Whalers Village in Maui has a skeleton of a sperm whale hanging and the history of it on a chart!

Now what are the chances with #4 the pope has died we finished watching Angels and Demons on tv and they discussed the bell of San Marco!!

Now the monopoly board, this is something else!! Our neighbors were having a garage sale and our neighbor asked me when I was looking at her monopoly board “hey how many spaces on the board?” I said who cares LOL she said 40!!!!! You tell me how strange is this!!!

WOW! I got Issac Hayes in the morning!

Sorry about Falkland Islands. A long time for sea days! Look forward to more of your adventures!

Denise😊

• Like 1

I've always understood the Falklands to be a bit of a tricky tender operation.  I was lucky to be 3 for 3, and am glad it was cancelled before people got over only long enough to come right back on what would not have been a smooth ride or transfer ship-tender-dock.

Roy

22 hours ago, bay guy said:

Kathi, does Nancy Grace have the same assistant that was with her on the 2018 GWV? I’ve forgotten her name but she was very nice to work with.

No, she does not (and I can't remember her name, either).  This year she has one of her good friends, Cathy, working with her.  One of their sons is married to one of their daughters (can't remember which is which).  Evidently Cathy worked with her on the 2019 GWV, as well. 

January 29, 2020

At Sea

We wound more of Sherita’s yarn this morning before trivia.  We had 9 out of 15 and the winning team had 13.

1.Where do vampire bats live – Transylvania, Mexico, or Africa?

2.What war was triggered by the shooting of a pig?

3.What empire began as an alliance of three city states?

4.What singer was known as the “Empress of the Blues”?

5.What is the main ingredient in a mince pie?

6.Every episode of Seinfeld includes an image or reference to which superhero?

7.What object commonly occurs in Picasso’s paintings?

I had some errands to run so no Linus before lunch.  In Arts & Crafts we made a polar charm necklace.  I wanted to make a hot chocolate afterwards but everyone must have had the same idea because there was not a packet of mix to be found.  Instead I went back to my cabin and worked on my Linus blanket.

Only Marilyn, Rodney, Diana, and I at afternoon trivia.  We had 21 out of 26 but two teams tied with 23 (there were three tie-breakers and they continued to tie so it was left at that).

1.What ingredient makes a dish “Florentine”?

2.What sauce is made with white wine, vinegar, and tarragon added to hollandaise?

3.Where was it raining for Buddy Holly?

4.What was first used in 1806 by billiard players to help control the ball?

5.How many days is Kwanzaa?

6.In the TV series, what actor played Batman?

There were a number of whale sightings after trivia in the Crow’s Nest.  We will likely see quite a few more over the next four days’ “Antarctic Experience”.  We have been in the Drake Passage today and have been very lucky because it can have some of the roughest seas in the world.

Because there was Name That Tune this evening I did not eat in the dining room.  I ate in the Lido before heading to Name That Tune.  There were four teams but they all had six people so I played on my own.  The theme was movies and for most of the questions the name of the song, the movie, and artist was required.  I was pleased to get 26 points on my own.  The winning team had 38.

Morning trivia

1.Mexico

2.The Pig War (yes, that is real – Google it!)

3.Aztec

4.Bessie Smith

5.fruit

6.Superman

7.guitars

Afternoon trivia

1.spinach

2.Bernaise

3.in his heart

4.chalk

6.Adam West