Royal Caribbean vs Holland America

Annjem

Hi all!  I’m planning on going on a New England cruise with hubby and 4 & 6yo kids in June.  Our two choices are 7 days on Holland America on Zaandam or 6 nights on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas.  The ports on HAL sound better but looks like there may be more activities on board on Royal Caribbean.  Which one would you choose?

Edited by Annjem
Error

9 hours ago, Annjem said:

he ports on HAL sound better but looks like there may be more activities on board on Royal Caribbean.  Which one would you choose?

Comparing apples and oranges. RCCL is a more active, younger ship with multiple activities for people of all ages. Holland America is a bit more traditional, a bit more formal (although not over the top), and definitely isn't as kid friendly. 

Personally I would enjoy a 7 day cruise more than a 6 day-- especially if the ports sound better regardless of which ship. But it sounds like you are sort of in the position of "do I book the cruise I want to book and pull my kids through it" or "book the trip that the kids might have a little more fun on and sacrifice the itinerary a bit". Frankly none of the ports for either cruise are going to be super kid friendly unless they are really into history at a very early age so you might as well see the places you want to see. 

I've sailed on both ships, and Oasis of the Seas is a HUGE ship compared to the Zaandam. I generally cruise for the itinerary, and if not for the kids - I'd definitely choose HAL. Is this their first cruise? If so - HAL may still be the best option, as they won't have been spoiled by all the  bells & whistles of a mega-ship for subsequent cruises.

Edited by NancyIL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 2:56 AM, Annjem said:

Hi all!  I’m planning on going on a New England cruise with hubby and 4 & 6yo kids in June.  Our two choices are 7 days on Holland America on Zaandam or 6 nights on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas.  The ports on HAL sound better but looks like there may be more activities on board on Royal Caribbean.  Which one would you choose?

I have cruised RCCL five times and Hal once.  I definitely agree that across the board HAL has a better itinerary but RCCL is more fun.   Not knocking HAL but I am 10-15 yrs younger than the cruisers and night life is fairly sedate.   Some itineraries will have more seniors based on destination such as Alaska and Canada/New England as opposed to the Caribbean which attracts families and young couples.

Dependent on your lifestyle (not age) - ask yourself if you love lots of bars, events, games and all types of music?  Do you like to stay up late? - Royal is the cruise line

Do you like quiet and reading, symphony type music less social energy? - HAl is the cruise line

Now, before someone jumps at me for this response, this was just my experience.  Last year sailed on HAL for the first time for New Year's Eve.  Other cruise lines usually on New Year's Eve party in the Centrum and pool deck.  HAL stuffed all the cruisers in the theater in seats for the strike of midnight.  SERIOUSLY??!!  It was awful.  We just sailed RCCL for New Year's Eve and had a blast in the Centrum, pool deck and several bars.

4 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Dependent on your lifestyle (not age) - ask yourself if you love lots of bars, events, games and all types of music?  Do you like to stay up late? - Royal is the cruise line

Do you like quiet and reading, symphony type music less social energy? - HAl is the cruise line

I appreciate that you said, “lifestyle, not age.” My husband and I are only 42 but we’ll pick option B every time!

On 1/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, princeton123211 said:

Frankly none of the ports for either cruise are going to be super kid friendly unless they are really into history at a very early age so you might as well see the places you want to see. 

I would have completely poo-pooed this comment until just a few days ago, but we just booked the reverse cruise on Amsterdam (HAL) and I’m finding some of the ship tours are for teens and adults only. The tour description actually says, “minimum age is 12 years.” I’m not saying it’s all of the tours, but it does tell you that the cruise line is catering to adults. 

16 hours ago, senoragilbert said:

I’m finding some of the ship tours are for teens and adults only. The tour description actually says, “minimum age is 12 years.” I’m not saying it’s all of the tours, but it does tell you that the cruise line is catering to adults. 

I mean sure HAL has a reputation for catering to the older crowd but at the same time its sort of the nature of the ports on this type of itinerary. A lot are focused on historical and natural sightseeing. You'd see a lot less age restrictions on a HAL itinerary in the Caribbean where beach activities abound. I would venture to say that HAL would be flexible on the age restrictions for some of those tours if you asked them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone considered that most of the ports on this itinerary are small. The Zaandam holds 1,400 passengers which are       mostly Senior Citizens. The Oasis holds 6,000 passengers and caters to families. The ports will be mobbed. All of the tours will probably be packed. Rental cars may be sold out. I would never take the Oasis on the New England cruise even if my son was still a tyke. 🤥

On 1/3/2020 at 2:56 AM, Annjem said:

I'm 59 years old and I still felt too young for Holland America!  Ha, ha.

"Go Royal" - fun, good food, kid and adult friendly!