Crown Princess

tcworld

Some Princess ships have recently had USB ports installed in the lamps next to the bed.  Somebody else may correct me, but I don't think the Crown Princess has been so enhanced.

So, bring an extension cord.  One of those low-dollar white or brown ones that you can by at any hardware store--or even in most supermarkets--will work fine.  Do not bring an extension cord or power strip that has a surge suppressor.  They do not "play nice" with the ship's electrical system, and, so, are subject to confiscation.  (This is stated pretty clearly in the "Prohibited Items" cited in the Passage Contract.)

Another alternative would be to charge your phone before you go to sleep.  Can you do that while you are out for dinner or at a show?

You can bring a power strip, but be sure it does not have a surge suppressor in it.  The ship generate its own power and the suppressors messy it up.  The room stewards will confiscate it, but will return it on the last day.  

4 hours ago, tcworld said:

Thanks for the info.  I think an extension cord will be packed.

Get a nine footer at least. In the past I needed one at least that long to reach behind the bed. The extension cord is part of our cruise equipment along with the magnets for the wall, binoculars, etc

Bring an external battery pack to charge your devices.  You can recharge the battery pack during the day.  The one I have I bought from Amazon

RAVPower External Battery Pack 16750mAh Portable Charger, Time-Tested Phone Charger with Dual 2.0 USB Ports/Flashlight, 4.5A Max Output Cell Phone Battery Power Pack for iPhone/Android Devices

There many on the market today and inexpensive.

I also use it in the airport and on long flights to keep my cell charged.  

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, serendipity19 said:

We were on the Crown in October. The bedside lamps had USB ports. 

We were also on the Crown in Oct and didn't have bedside lamps with USB ports. Maybe you were in a full suite? 

• Like 1

Plus 1 on a power bank/battery pack. We always travel with one or two of these after getting stuck on the runway for hours & watching both our phones go dead. They go on sale all the time, so grab one. Do as the above said, use it to charge your phone overnite bedside, then charge the power bank during the day. 

18 hours ago, tcworld said:

I will be sailing on the Crown Princess.  I would like to know how I can charge my smart phone by my bed.  I use my phone as an alarm clock at night.

Not on our Crown cruise in Nov 2019. We brought a "small male plug" extension cord and used that for our chargers. The small male 120 vac outlet was located on the desk area (mini-suite but other cabins are probably the same), but you need a fairly small connector to plug in. I think there were two 120 vac outlets there on the desk, but we just used our extension cord which gave us four outlets more suitable for plugging in devices like smart phones, GPS, my laptop, camera, etc. Not all at once of course.😎

We thoroughly enjoyed our Nov 2019 cruise on the Crown Princess. It was our second time on this Crown in about 10 years, both times were great cruises. Our second cruise back in 1990 was on the previous Crown Princess.

Doug

Just left the crown after a Christmas cruise & really regretted not having my solar charger. My husband & I each have a cell & I had my iPad for reading. There was One plug in the room and it had two outlets, one that was somewhat blocked by the light switch next to it. They were at the desk in our room & not convenient. Additionally, my samsung continually was unhappy with the connection charge & it took hours so I had to leave it over night. That being said, the room is small you'll hear your alarm even if it's not by the bed 😉 an extension cord should work, maybe not with my Note, but in general. 

Agree on no USB ports at table-side lamps on the Crown.  I even had one replaced as it was broken when we moved in - the replacement was same-old.  

There are wall plugs behind bed, but they are European.  If you have an adapter, you could use that as cell phone charger cords accept either voltage.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We were also on the Crown in Oct and didn't have bedside lamps with USB ports. Maybe you were in a full suite? 

We were 1st sailing on the Crown after last drydock for refurbish a couple + - years ago with 3 other couples. What we found was some cabins got the usb lamps and some did not, even in same category...

They did not finish the  refurbish by 1st sailing. As often happens a work crew stays onboard to finish up. Since some of our group got the lamps and some did not, even in same catagorys (we did) we figured they were coming. Have sailed Crown since and will be on her in 2 weeks. Guess not all cabins got the complete refurbush...

Its not a suite/standard cabin thing as we were not in suites, 3 of our 4 BA CAT cabins all were refurbished and got the lamps, 4th one did not...

We ordered a charging device from Amazon which is ship approved.  It has 2 USB ports and two more outlets.  Excellent for recharging camera batteries and cell phones.   I noticed several other passengers had one just like it.  No trouble going through the cruise line's security check either.

55 minutes ago, tere247 said:

We were in a mini suite. E731 in November.    No USB port in the lamps.

Off this topic of devices, but we are in a mini suite in January on Crown and were wondering...do you get the plastic ice bucket or the metal one?  I didn't know if that was one of the elite perks to get the metal ice bucket, as we had it last year.  It keeps the ice so much better than the plastic bucket.  I have to bring a pitcher to make ice tea for DH, so putting that plastic ice bucket in the mini fridge is not an option.  Thanks for your help.

Just of note, in the regular balcony and oceanview cabins (can't speak for the inside or mini's), I would always have my iPad plugged in at night so I could read a downloaded book or watch the news.  Just be sure you are on the side of the bed next to the desk and take a 6' USB cable (and adapter) to charge it and it should reach over to the nightstand next to your side of the bed.  

I do not even think we had the outlets on the Regal. However, we have also purchased

small portable battery packs/ chargers which we take with us when we are vendors doing a festival and 

need to keep our IPhones charged to accept credit cards. They work great.

15 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Off this topic of devices, but we are in a mini suite in January on Crown and were wondering...do you get the plastic ice bucket or the metal one?  I didn't know if that was one of the elite perks to get the metal ice bucket, as we had it last year.  It keeps the ice so much better than the plastic bucket.  I have to bring a pitcher to make ice tea for DH, so putting that plastic ice bucket in the mini fridge is not an option.  Thanks for your help.

Plastic ice bucket.  Ice bucket type is not an Elite perk.