Must-try Foods in British Isles Cruise Ports?

16 hours ago, D C said:

Agreed!
I'll have to get café & restaurant recommendations from you before our next trip.  Hoping to come over in September, but it'll depend on finances (of course).    We're preferential to Dix Neuf in town for the outdoor seating and atmosphere.  

Of course, please feel free to ask whenever.  At present there are sales on Aurigny flights and Condor ferries for travel to Guernsey in 2020.  I do like Dix Neuf, however a usual haunt for lunch with friends is Café Emilia, but there is no outdoor seating.  If we want to sit outside, we usually go to The Hideaway at Moores Hotel (although they do not show a photo of the outside seating on their website).

http://www.cafeemilia.co.uk/

http://mooresguernsey.com/Patisserie.html

7 hours ago, aheape1979 said:

Wow!  Amazing recommendations so far!  Thank you so much!

Our ports are:

Guernsey (St. Peter Port)

Cork (Cobh)

Dublin (2 days)

Belfast

Glasgow (Greenock)

Invergordon

Edinburgh (South Queensferry)

Paris/Normandy (Le Havre)

Not sure what days you are in Belfast, but if St. Georges Market is open, have a Belfast Bap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Well that;s blown the idea of an English sunday roast :classic_biggrin:

I have no idea whether the Scots or Irish offer the same.

Other than forgetting deep-fried Mars Bars :classic_ohmy:, the Exile has given you a pretty good list of Scottish delicacies.

Exile - decades ago when I was a nipper I spent a few years in Aberdeen. This was before burgers were popular in the UK (might even have been in the pre-Wimpey days). For fast-food we'd buy a big Scottish bap filled with mincemeat - a kinda gone-wrong burger. Messy to eat but delicious :classic_smile:. Still available?

JB :classic_smile:

JB...We are spending a few days pre-cruise in London.  I have a Sunday roast lunch booked already!  Marksman Public House...unless there is somewhere you'd recommend.  I've seen this listed as one of "London's best" in a few different places.

3 hours ago, aheape1979 said:

JB...We are spending a few days pre-cruise in London.  I have a Sunday roast lunch booked already!  Marksman Public House...unless there is somewhere you'd recommend.  I've seen this listed as one of "London's best" in a few different places.

Well, London is quite similar to England 

(says this country boy :classic_wink:)

Sorry, no recommendations - I'm not a frequent visitor to the big bad city.

But I did have a butcher's* at the Marksman's website - if its the one on the Hackney frog* it's beyond "tourist" London, a proper East End rub-a-dub-dub*.

Perhaps it's a cockney pub. I used the word "perhaps" to avoid any cockneys getting in a right two and eight* about whether it's within the sound of Bow bells, just under two miles away. :classic_wink: (google that) 

I see it's highly rated, especially by newspaper food critics, but I doubt there'll be many septics* there because the East End is Londoners' London. 

If you wanted true East End food you'd hunt out a jellied eel and pie shop like this one just a couple of streets from the Marksman 

https://f-cooke-hoxton.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

But jellied eels are an acquired taste - very much for the locals.

Best to stick with the Marksman.:classic_biggrin:

And you might like to ask how the pub got its name - there's usually a bit of history behind pub names.

* butcher's = butcher's hook = look.

*frog =frog and toad = road.

*rub-a-dub-dub = pub.

*two and eight = state.

*septic = septic tank = Yank.

You might want to brush-up on your cockney rhyming slang. Here's a start https://www.businessballs.com/glossaries-and-terminology/cockney-rhyming-slang/

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 1

I see Belfast on your itinerary, grab yourself an Ulster Fry while here.  Heart attack on a plate, but oh so good. 

Precise contents vary depending on where you get it from, but as a minimum expect sausage, bacon, potato & soda breads, fried or scrambled egg.  Common add-ons: mushrooms, tomato, beans.  Traditionally fried (surprise!), but these days often grilled to make it marginally less deadly; and most places will offer vegetarian versions.

Hungry now...

12 hours ago, John Bull said:

But I did have a butcher's* at the Marksman's website - if its the one on the Hackney frog* it's beyond "tourist" London, a proper East End rub-a-dub-dub*.

Perhaps it's a cockney pub. I used the word "perhaps" to avoid any cockneys getting in a right two and eight* about whether it's within the sound of Bow bells, just under two miles away. :classic_wink: (google that) 

I see it's highly rated, especially by newspaper food critics, but I doubt there'll be many septics* there because the East End is Londoners' London.

The Marksman Public House is about as far away from a proper East End boozer as you can imagine, although they stayed with a traditional look in the bar downstairs and serve decent beer. It's a gastropub of some renown, but the dining room upstairs look nothing like a pub. I expect JB will pale at the thought of spending at least £40/head for a Sunday roast...

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I expect JB will pale at the thought of spending at least £40/head for a Sunday roast...

He just did :classic_ohmy:

Acceptable sunday roast main courses locally from £9.95 upwards, excellent ones at around £15. 

Bound to cost more in the middle of the big bad city but that really is pretty heavy.

OP - Forget learning cockney rhyming slang - mebbe  blend in better if you wear an Italian pin-stripe suit with garish tie and red braces, carry a copy of the Financial Times, and learn about cricket. :classic_biggrin:

Eagle - You're a man-about-town, my feathered friend.

Any alternative suggestions?

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, ducklite said:

If you are docking in Dublin, book a lunch or dinner reservation at FX Buckley or Brookwood for some fine Irish grass fed Black Angus beef.

I just did!  That's right up my husband's alley!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

He just did :classic_ohmy:

Acceptable sunday roast main courses locally from £9.95 upwards, excellent ones at around £15. 

Bound to cost more in the middle of the big bad city but that really is pretty heavy.

OP - Forget learning cockney rhyming slang - mebbe  blend in better if you wear an Italian pin-stripe suit with garish tie and red braces, carry a copy of the Financial Times, and learn about cricket. :classic_biggrin:

Eagle - You're a man-about-town, my feathered friend.

Any alternative suggestions?

JB and Eagle....any alternate recommendations?

2 minutes ago, aheape1979 said:

JB and Eagle....any alternate recommendations?

Sorry, not from me - unless you fancy a 145 mile round-trip to Hampshire :classic_wink:.

Where's a Globaliser or other Londoner when you need one. :classic_unsure:

BTW London's a big place, even central London

It's worth telling us where your hotel is cos that's likely to affect suggestions, though the most-likely pubs & sensible prices will be in residential neighbourhoods rather than on the tourist trail.

Mebbe even start another thread entitled something like "Seeking London pub for good sunday roast"?

Hey, 

Local "Cobhite" here,  Cobh is a small harbour town so you are sure to find a good Irish spot for lunch or coffee.

• Any Salmon dishes.
  • Scones with melted real Irish butter (yummy) 
  • A breakfast with Clonakilty pudding (Don't ask to many questions, just try it 😉) made in another town in Cork. 
  • Any Irish beef dishes - from burgers to steak (We have a great trace system from farm to plate)
  • Pick up a jar of Ballymaloe relish - it's yum on everything and again made nearby. 
  • Irish Soda Bread with real Irish Butter.
  • Irish Strawberries if they are in season.
  • Irish stew. 
  • I have to include some drinks- Barry's Tea if you are visiting Cobh,  Cork, Beamish & Murphy's Irish stout are Cork brewed - Guinness is from Dublin. Jameson Whiskey made in the next town of Midleton.    

Enjoy your trip, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanrl said:

Pick up a jar of Ballymaloe relish - it's yum on everything and again made nearby. 

Or even better, go for lunch at Ballymaloe House. One of the joys of working for an Irish company, was that when visiting one of our Irish factories with UK customers,  we would stay here. Exceptional!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
22 hours ago, Aulanis said:

@John Bull @wowzz

Hi , just wondering if you know if  @Globaliseris ok , system saysnot posted since February. 

Globaliser (I have assumed the same one) is posting on a frequent flyer forum. To be fair, not much to say round here since March! 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Thanks 1