non alcoholic beer

mysie1

Can anyone tell me if non alcoholic beer is included in any of Royal Caribbean drinks packages? Was thinking of the Refreshment package? Also, a bit confused about when getting drinks, we have paid our gratuities up front, but do we still have gratuities added each time? This is for a Baltic cruise.

Thanks for any advice.

4 hours ago, mysie1 said:

Can anyone tell me if non alcoholic beer is included in any of Royal Caribbean drinks packages? Was thinking of the Refreshment package? Also, a bit confused about when getting drinks, we have paid our gratuities up front, but do we still have gratuities added each time? This is for a Baltic cruise.

Thanks for any advice.

Howdy mysie1 and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the First Time Cruisers forum. It is the forum for first-time cruisers and their general questions about cruising. However since your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Royal Caribbean International forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have or are going to sail RCI frequent that forum.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on any forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry. It will help the members to have the information they need in order to help you.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

Since you did not mention your RCI ship name and sail date I cannot direct you to the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise. That is, if one has already been started by another Cruise Critic member sailing the same cruise as you. If no one has started one for your cruise please start one yourself. This will get the ball rolling so others can join with you on the thread.

The Roll Call thread for your cruise is the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Also your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread, especially ones that have sailed RCI before. Your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members may post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls.

RCI is one of the cruise lines that hosts a private "Meet & Mingle" party with refreshments for you and your fellow Cruise Critic Roll Call thread members on cruises 7 nights or more. You register for the party on the RCI website. For more information and the link to register click here: Royal Caribbean International Meet & Mingle

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope all this information will be helpful! So sorry I went on with such a long post, but I am so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic and wanted to give you some of the highlights about being a member! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Before we left on our cruise on Quantum in October I did email RCI abouit this subject & was assured that alcohol free/low alcohol beer was included in the Ultimate Drink Package,we decided not too bother with the package in the end but just to buy on board,Odouls was available up on deck while Heineken Zero was available in the pub

When it comes to buying drinks,even though you may have paid the tips up front,you will still pay an added 18% on top of any drinks price,& don't forget when you are looking at the price of drink packages remember the price you see has also to have 18% added to it & depite being shown per day cannot be purchased for anything less than the full term of the cruise,& if there are 2 of you in the cabin,if one has a drink package,the other must have one too.

Before our first cruise some years ago,being a regular on Trip Advisor I tried asking questions on these forums & got little help,posters were way too busy banging on about their personal cruise loyalty programme status to help people & could be exceedingly rude at your attemps to interrupt that,as a result of which I left these forums & went back to Trip Advisor where I found the info I wanted!

I have been back on these forums for a year or more now,things have improved quite a bit,not quite so many rude & unhelpful replies BUT many do tend to forget that newcomers may not speak their language,by that I mean shortened names & abbreviations,there are loads of them(OBC,FCC,MDR,etc),you will soon get to know what they mean!

One more thought on the drinks package,whether or not the package is worth buying can also be affected by your itenerary,if you have loads of time ashore you won't be on board drinking!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mysie1 said:

Thanks for any advice.

NA beer is not included in the refreshment package.  Even though it is labelled non-alcoholic, it still contains a small amount of alcohol and the cruise line limits it's inclusion to the alcoholic package.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

NA beer is not included in the refreshment package.  Even though it is labelled non-alcoholic, it still contains a small amount of alcohol and the cruise line limits it's inclusion to the alcoholic package.

Actually Heineken 0.0 is a true non-alcoholic drink.  However, I would not expect it to be included in the refreshment package. 

snaefell, thank you for advice. Have already paid early £300 for gratuities, though that would be it. Can I cancel this and just pay as we go, we're not drinkers but tea, coffee and water are important. Do we still pay 18% on tea, coffee and water? Starting to wonder what we have got into. All just seems money grabbing.

3 minutes ago, mysie1 said:

snaefell, thank you for advice. Have already paid early £300 for gratuities, though that would be it. Can I cancel this and just pay as we go, we're not drinkers but tea, coffee and water are important. Do we still pay 18% on tea, coffee and water? Starting to wonder what we have got into. All just seems money grabbing.

You can cancel.

There are no gratuities added to beverages included in the basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee,  hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, and juices at breakfast.

1 hour ago, mysie1 said:

My Wife loves her coffee so she makes sure she always takes a jar of her favourite with her so she can make one using the kettle in the cabin whenever,tea bags of varying flavours you can take from the Windjammer buffet,you can also help yourself to coffee,tea & various soft drinks there.

Money grabbing,I've gotten used now to the number of wallet opening opportunities there are both before you sail & on board,it can be quite mind blowing & some people certainly seem happy to spend,spend,spend,the open sales in the Royal Esplanade can be quite funny with people literally fighting over things!

The tip subject is a bit of a hot potato,depending on the length of your cruise it certainly can add up to what seems a significant sum on top of what you are already paying,suggesting removing them can lay you open to some pretty strong responses on here so be careful what you say but do what you are comfy with yourself!

I still remember paying the balance on our first cruise & my Wife saying 'well that's evrything paid for',we've learned a lot since then!

7 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Odouls and Heineken 0.0 (much better imo) are both def included on the ultimate package, I doubt they're on the Refreshment given that they're still similar pricing to the alcoholic beers (6-8$)

While I wouldn't pay $6-$8 for an NA, I found a single bottle of Heineken Zero in Publix today. Worth the buck and a half to try. 

On 1/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, crewsweeper said:

While I wouldn't pay $6-$8 for an NA, I found a single bottle of Heineken Zero in Publix today. Worth the buck and a half to try. 

As one warned off alcohol on docs orders but still craving the taste of beer when I go out/away it has been heartwarming to see the variety of different beers that have appeared(although few seem to be advertised with the exception on Heineken & they tend to concentrate on the calorie count!),lagers,stouts,wheat beers,citrus beers,etc,not to mention various ciders(including flavoured varieties),what has been less heartwarming has been the prices charged at some establishments,sometimes twice the price of a premium lager,not a lot of encouragement for drivers to choose the NA option!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, crewsweeper said:

Taste Report:   Skunky as all heck.  Threw half of it out.

Yes one would think that at least the Big Beer folks could make a flavorful NA.  Maybe the hops and malts don't quite gel together without fermentation.   But if they can make a veggie burger look and taste like a beef burger, surely they can engineer a decent NA beer.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:22 AM, mysie1 said:

depends on where you get your tea, coffee and water.

the dispensers in the Buffet and Promenade/Cafes are free as is plain brewed  from the MDR at mealtimes.  .   but  anything from the coffee  bar and all bottled waters( there are several types)  will incur a cost unless you have the refreshment package.  this includes flavored coffees and  fancy tea drinks..  I will say this , if you like GOOD, quality coffee and tea.. you will be sorely disappointed in the  included offerings.  also included is at least one flavored water after breakfast, Iced tea, lemonade( squash or cordial to you folks)  and juice from concentrate at breakfast ,, typically orange, cranberry and maybe a fancy one like mango . also hot water to make cocoa from the packet( and hot tea although many like to bring their own tea bags.   what's on board is okay.  not great.. lots of herbals)  

the base price of the cruise is EXTREMELY reasonable when you factor in your room, board and  transportation to  all the ports.   they let you decide how much extra to spend on things once on board.  you will also, m hopefully,m see fit yourself how hard the crew works and earn every  penny of the gratuities

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

As one warned off alcohol on docs orders but still craving the taste of beer when I go out/away it has been heartwarming to see the variety of different beers that have appeared(although few seem to be advertised with the exception on Heineken & they tend to concentrate on the calorie count!),lagers,stouts,wheat beers,citrus beers,etc,not to mention various ciders(including flavoured varieties),what has been less heartwarming has been the prices charged at some establishments,sometimes twice the price of a premium lager,not a lot of encouragement for drivers to choose the NA option!

My liver also hates me, but  wine is my tipple.   I have found a couple of dealcoholized wines  that are better than  grape juice, but barely.  

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Taste Report:   Skunky as all heck.  Threw half of it out.

Yes one would think that at least the Big Beer folks could make a flavorful NA.  Maybe the hops and malts don't quite gel together without fermentation.   But if they can make a veggie burger look and taste like a beef burger, surely they can engineer a decent NA beer.

What is or isn't a good beer is of course a matter of opinion & of late I have tasted a number of NA beers which IMO taste great,like I say there are pale ales,stouts & ciders which taste every bit as good as their alcoholic counterparts IMO,not really a lager drinker in the old days,more real ale but I really don't mind Heineken Zero,Beck's is the most commonly found NA found in the UK at present,was never keen on origional Becks but I put up with it!

Trouble is once they know it isn't going to get them drunk most people right it off IME! 

Edited by snaefell

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

My liver also hates me, but  wine is my tipple.   I have found a couple of dealcoholized wines  that are better than  grape juice, but barely.  

I've bought alcohol free wine for cooking but never tasted it so can't really comment on that but when leaving a car show last summer we were given bottles of Alcohol Free Gin & Pink Grapefruit,don't know where the Gin was,you certainly couldn't smell it & the only thing I could taste was the Grapefruit,glad it was free unlike some I've seen over Christmas which were marked as Alcohol Free Spirit reduced to £25 a bottle,at that sort of price(more than a decent bottle of whiskey) there is no chance of me trying them!