Recently returned from Hawaii - pictures / video

nf5894

Did the Star Princess 15 day cruise to Hawaii in December and it was great. Had done the same cruise the previous December and done all Princess excursions, but this time just explored on our own. Have to recommend Carlsmith Beach Park in Hilo if you like swimming / snorkelling. It was about a 20 minute walk from the port but worth it. Also found it really easy to get to Pearl harbor on the bus so that can save you a lot of money. Just had a beach day on Kauai and did a whale watching trip on Maui. Had great weather every day and sunsets were amazing. 

If anyone is interested then please take a look at the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLAuEaZIhg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, existentialtraveler said:

Nice video! Just to be clear, you WALKED to Carlsmith beach from the ship? It looks to be further than just a 20 minute walk. Was there a lot of traffic on the road there? We will be there in March and are considering Carlsmith.

Thanks, and yes we walked to Carlsmith. Maybe 20/30 minutes but I guess it depends how fast you walk! It was probably a little further than we thought and we did pass 3 (I think) other beaches on the way. We did take a taxi back to the ship. Also there was a sidewalk and traffic was moderate. Hope you have a good trip.

28 minutes ago, nf5894 said:

Thanks, and yes we walked to Carlsmith. Maybe 20/30 minutes but I guess it depends how fast you walk! It was probably a little further than we thought and we did pass 3 (I think) other beaches on the way. We did take a taxi back to the ship. Also there was a sidewalk and traffic was moderate. Hope you have a good trip.

Thank you! I think we will give it a shot!

On 1/4/2020 at 12:38 PM, Luv2bcruising56 said:

Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.  Who did you use for the whale watch?

We booked directly through PacWhale as it was a lower cost than booking through Princess.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, nf5894 said:

Did the Star Princess 15 day cruise to Hawaii in December and it was great. Had done the same cruise the previous December and done all Princess excursions, but this time just explored on our own. Have to recommend Carlsmith Beach Park in Hilo if you like swimming / snorkelling. It was about a 20 minute walk from the port but worth it. Also found it really easy to get to Pearl harbor on the bus so that can save you a lot of money. Just had a beach day on Kauai and did a whale watching trip on Maui. Had great weather every day and sunsets were amazing. 

If anyone is interested then please take a look at the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLAuEaZIhg

We're staying at the Outrigger Reef Beach Resort pre cruise.  I called them today asking about the best way to get to PH.  The concierge said the bus is the cheapest but it can take 1 1/2 hours because of all the stops.  She said Uber or Lyft is only about 30 minutes or so.  Can the bus really take that long?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

We're staying at the Outrigger Reef Beach Resort pre cruise.  I called them today asking about the best way to get to PH.  The concierge said the bus is the cheapest but it can take 1 1/2 hours because of all the stops.  She said Uber or Lyft is only about 30 minutes or so.  Can the bus really take that long?

We were on the bus on a Tuesday just before 5pm so it was 'rush hour'. It took about 45 minutes to get from PH to the ship. Waikiki is a couple of miles further than the ship so I'd say you could be looking at about an hour.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:36 PM, Tutone56 said:

It depends on the day of the week, time of day, but yes, it can be bad. I'd Uber.

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Thanks for sharing, very nice little vid.

We are doing the Star in Feb. Did you do any shipboard vids?

Thanks, and yes there are another couple of parts to the video with some shots around the ship.

• Like 1