Almost Live From The Gem NYC To San Francisco

bob brown

Back on the Gem for the first time in about 8 years.  I’ll post occasionally when I find shore wifi, as I don’t have an internet package...

After being on the Breakaway and Bliss several times, this ship feels almost “intimate”  in comparison.  It is strangely new, yet familiar...

I am happy to see the “It girl” is doing well...🙂

D470BAC5-0923-465D-81BC-456575798B91.png

58F7A64D-ECF1-4F79-9432-CB396E54AB24.jpeg

4D035178-316C-4519-AD32-22E973DFE7A8.jpeg

99C03A04-05C6-478E-9A1E-D1D6B1469ECA.jpeg

71B2BBBE-CF2E-468D-BC3A-FA977913D2BB.jpeg

D91FD851-7D49-4487-9882-3050E1A69A27.jpeg

D5E7B782-6FB4-46F1-B815-606FB23F8926.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting pictures. I hopped online this afternoon to see if anyone had a blog or place that they were going to post pics on this cruise! This is great! I'm (almost) as excited for the cruise leaving today as I am for ours on the 24th. It means it's as close as it can get. Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

Well, well, well - now, we are following along for sure and best wishes for a happy, safe & great sailing.  

Don't worry about posting almost-live abroad the Gem, first & foremost - enjoy this crossing.  (I wasn't planning on much posting last month either, but ... it worked out) 

Have the Dawn switch over to the new "Just Water" paper cartons, etc. and roll out new 2020 dining menus, etc.  I'm surprised that the Bride Viewing Room is open while she's in port.  

Have a great sailaway, leaving this weather behind & head for sunshine !  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

Back on the Gem for the first time in about 8 years.  I’ll post occasionally when I find shore wifi, as I don’t have an internet package...

After being on the Breakaway and Bliss several times, this ship feels almost “intimate”  in comparison.  It is strangely new, yet familiar...

I am happy to see the “It girl” is doing well...🙂

D470BAC5-0923-465D-81BC-456575798B91.png

58F7A64D-ECF1-4F79-9432-CB396E54AB24.jpeg

4D035178-316C-4519-AD32-22E973DFE7A8.jpeg

99C03A04-05C6-478E-9A1E-D1D6B1469ECA.jpeg

71B2BBBE-CF2E-468D-BC3A-FA977913D2BB.jpeg

D91FD851-7D49-4487-9882-3050E1A69A27.jpeg

D5E7B782-6FB4-46F1-B815-606FB23F8926.jpeg

I will be anxiously awaiting your posts since I will be on the Gem on the 24th from SF to NY.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

We have the bottles of water in paper cartons .

I believe the bridge viewing room is always open, but after dark, they pull the shades down, blocking the view, but more importantly preserving the watch crew’s night vision...

Hi Bob

Have a great cruise! Say hello to Mary and Joe! Good luck to team We Don't Care.

We are leaving on the Bliss tomorrow, but will follow your report. (Have internet will check in!)😁

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Hi Bob

Have a great cruise! Say hello to Mary and Joe! Good luck to team We Don't Care.

We are leaving on the Bliss tomorrow, but will follow your report. (Have internet will check in!)😁

Hi...bon voyage to you and RJ🙂

• Like 1

Checking shipcam for live update ... the GEM (not the Dawn, typo error earlier) is on her way ... backed up of the Pier (90, it looked like earlier) and heading south on the Hudson now.  

Bliss on her way, crossing from Delaware into NJ already, cruising slowly & should arrive early overnight for her turnaround tomorrow.  Both ships could be within visual range - if not for the foggy weather - sometime this evening - on the shipping lanes. 

Have a wonderful one ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Checking shipcam for live update ... the GEM (not the Dawn, typo error earlier) is on her way ... backed up of the Pier (90, it looked like earlier) and heading south on the Hudson now.  

I’m on the Gem now as well.  (Bob has kindly invited others on board to post on this thread too.  Thanks Bob!)  We sailed about a half hour late. It had been foggy most of the day, but the fog had lifted by the time we sailed.  It was also unseasonably warm.  Spectacular sailaway.  

We love the Gem, but it’s been a few years since we were on her.  We’re very happy to see that the garish purples and greens have been replaced with more subdued browns and greys. 

Looking forward now to three relaxing sea days. 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m on the Gem now as well.  (Bob has kindly invited others on board to post on this thread too.  Thanks Bob!)  We sailed about a half hour late ... the fog had lifted ... unseasonably warm.  Spectacular sailaway.  

We love the Gem, but it’s been a few years since we were on her ... Looking forward now to three relaxing sea days. 😃

G:classic_smile::classic_smile:d evening,  Turtles06 & other CC'ers and yes, wonderful. Thank you - Bob, and a gentleman - in sharing his (limited) satellite access.   Everyone that wanted to sunbath should, then, be able to do so tomorrow ... get out those Bermuda shorts.   Looks like a strong tail wind, might be gale force but seas/waves looking fine & reasonable - transition across the warm fronts in the Carolinas might be a little bumpy.  Let us know, otherwise ... all of you got strong sea legs for this journey.  

To just read up on the latest CC gossip, just go up to the iCafe - Deck 12 Fwd inside the library, those terminals give free (community) access to read ... cannot sign-in and post with this option, but good enough for catching up (I found that out last month myself.)  

Bliss is heading toward the Gem (vice versa) with both ships going slow - 12 knots & 10 knots, respectively - might possibly see each other, portside from the balconies or open deck in next 15-30 minutes, per Marinetraffic AIS tracking data, south of Toms River, NJ - about 15 nm apart.   Anthem of the Seas following the Bliss, heading toward CL.  

Going to keep us CC "addicts" fixated in following the crossing, woohoo !  Post the "boring" details & upload those pictures later.  Have a great evening, a fun & successful M&G tomorrow, and all the other planned activities on those sea days ahead.  

Collage 2020-01-04 22_42_45.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

To just read up on the latest CC gossip, just go up to the iCafe - Deck 12 Fwd inside the library, those terminals give free (community) access to read ... cannot sign-in and post with this option, but good enough for catching up (I found that out last month myself.)  

Going to keep us CC "addicts" fixated in following the crossing, woohoo !  Post the "boring" details & upload those pictures later.  Have a great evening, a fun & successful M&G tomorrow, and all the other planned activities on those sea days ahead.  

Collage 2020-01-04 22_42_45.jpg

Thank you. I like such boring details!

I wonder if there is any thing like that on the Bliss? The "free to read" CC computers?

Edited by Arzeena
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Bob!

Don't miss the 9 am trivia. 😁

Following this review!!!!

I have a favor to ask of you....Can you please have Mary write her cruise schedules (like she does for me) and take a picture for me? You can email me the picture whenever you have time. I misplaced the paper she gave me last time😞. We miss them both a lot and don't know when we will see them again.

Are Bill and Arlene on board?

Thank you. I owe you shrimp cocktail!😊

Edited by Arzeena
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Looks like a strong tail wind, might be gale force but seas/waves looking fine & reasonable - transition across the warm fronts in the Carolinas might be a little bumpy.  Let us know, otherwise ... all of you got strong sea legs for this journey.  

Lots of wonderful swells and rolling last night and so far this morning. Learned which drawers in our cabin need a bit of duct tape that we always carry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1