Almost Live From The Gem NYC To San Francisco

bob brown

3 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I was looking at my docs today and noticed that they show the Gem docking at Pier 35 in SFO - I went to the port website to confirm and it shows them at Pier 27 - which is the main cruise ship terminal  (35 is an aux terminal). I have not heard anything from NCL (typical). So have they said anything about it on board??

Yesterday, on board, we were told Pier 27.

It’s a beautiful day today in San Pedro. We just got back from a fascinating self-guided tour of the USS Iowa, which is just a short walk from where the cruise ships dock. You get to see a good bit of this historic battleship, inside and out — we spent hours aboard.  It was pretty incredible to stand in the bow in front of the 16-inch guns. The self-guided tour route is very well laid out and well done. 

If anyone with a future port call here is looking for something to do other than visit the usual LA tourist sites, I highly recommend seeing the Iowa. If this is the sort of thing you like to do, you will really like this. (Keep in mind there’s a good bit of climbing of ladders.  I think we were allowed to go up five decks.)

It’s hard to believe that we are back in the U.S., and that this wonderful cruise is almost over. ☹️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s a beautiful day today in San Pedro ... hard to believe that we are back in the U.S., and that this wonderful cruise is almost over. ☹️

Great info ... nice.  Aren't some folks ending this crossing earlier today and disembarking the ship ?  Did everyone need to clear CBP for immigration/custom purposes ? 

5 hours ago, Knicks1130 said:

Hi everyone....love your review...looks like you are having  a blast!!

Does anyone know details about the Gem dry dock slated for November 2020. I have searched CC boards and have not found anything on it

Thanks!

Checked with the “Cruise Next” manager...

She said the Company has not released details yet.  
Probably just a refurbishment of worn out components, and minor changes, like O’Sheehans becoming the Local, and atrium bar into a Starbucks...

55 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Great info ... nice.  Aren't some folks ending this crossing earlier today and disembarking the ship ?  Did everyone need to clear CBP for immigration/custom purposes ? 

Yes...about a hundred disembarked, but everyone had to go thru immigration inspection in the terminal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bob brown said:

Yes...about a hundred disembarked, but everyone had to go thru immigration inspection in the terminal.

And no one could get back on until there was a zero count. (This would only have affected folks not going anywhere today.)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bob brown said:

If you’re going to miss the ship, this is a pretty good place...Santa Barbara is only a couple of hours up the coast...😉

So, not all 6 fellow cruisers made it back onboard at San Pedro ??  Well, I supposed - maybe they got lost in Little Saigon (better known as Westminster in Orange County)😋 

Shouldn't be too difficult to hail an Uber to make that 3 to 4 hours drive (in 6 lanes of traffic) north on the I-405 Freeway ... a distance of only 120 to 130 miles. 

AIS data giving ETA arrival at San Fran around 5:15 am local time +/- 

Thank you all for taking time to share and bring us along the crossing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Shouldn't be too difficult to hail an Uber to make that 3 to 4 hours drive (in 6 lanes of traffic) north on the I-405 Freeway ... a distance of only 120 to 130 miles. 

AIS data giving ETA arrival at San Fran around 5:15 am local time +/- 

The trip to SB would be the 405 to the 101 and could take many hours depending on traffic.  I do not miss LA

Welcome to SF.  The sail out is unmatched!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Turtles06 said:

It’s a beautiful day today in San Pedro. We just got back from a fascinating self-guided tour of the USS Iowa, which is just a short walk from where the cruise ships dock. You get to see a good bit of this historic battleship, inside and out — we spent hours aboard.  It was pretty incredible to stand in the bow in front of the 16-inch guns. The self-guided tour route is very well laid out and well done. 

If anyone with a future port call here is looking for something to do other than visit the usual LA tourist sites, I highly recommend seeing the Iowa. If this is the sort of thing you like to do, you will really like this. (Keep in mind there’s a good bit of climbing of ladders.  I think we were allowed to go up five decks.)

Wondering how touring the Iowa compares to touring the Missouri at Pearl Harbor.  Any incite would be appreciated, we enjoyed Mighty Mo.

This thread has been a blast to follow. Thanks to all for sharing the experience, and especially to Bob for the great pics. I've been convinced to book a canal cruise as a result of following along for this journey. Safe travels to all! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

The Norwegian Gem’s maiden call at San Francisco...😎

Should be an easy walk-off once they clear the ship, no CBP to deal with ... Oh, I am now in a mood for some of SF's sourdough bread & chocolate @Ghirardelli Square, not far at the Fisherman's Wharf.

Safe travel to those disembarking and continuing onward with the travel, whatever they might be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Should be an easy walk-off once they clear the ship, no CBP to deal with ... Oh, I am now in a mood for some of SF's sourdough bread & chocolate @Ghirardelli Square, not far at the Fisherman's Wharf.

Safe travel to those disembarking and continuing onward with the travel, whatever they might be. 

Why don't you go to Buena Vista for hearty breakfast with some glasses of Irish Coffee??? Then you can head to Ghirardelli afterwards. 😎

• Like 1