Almost Live From The Gem NYC To San Francisco

bob brown

Another random observation.  We really love the Gem (this is our fourth cruise on her), but it really struck me this trip how schlocky the artwork around the ship is.  (Of course, like food, art is a very subjective thing, so YMMV.)  That’s why I was pleasantly surprised coming back from a port one day, entering on Deck 4, to come across a rather charming and colorful little oil painting of people harvesting crops in the shadow of a volcano. (A very appropriate scene given our itinerary, but purely fortuitous.)   Portside forward, near stateroom 4516.

• Like 1

Bob and Betsy, Judith and Eileen, and all our Cruise Critic friends who are disembarking in San Francisco, have a safe trip home. It was a pleasure cruising with you. 

Bob, as you pointed out yesterday incredibly this was the first time we've actually met despite all the years of conversing on Cruise Critic, and probably more than one cruise that we 've both actually been on .

It will be so painful to cruise all the way back to NY . I don't know how we're going to be able to do it. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Depending on the gangway being used, you pass this on the Gem disembarking in various ports. It’s where they store us seniors overnight. They let us out in the morning. 

OooooKay ... odd location for a naughty room with stainless steel wide entry doorway.  Probably best to not ask more questions to find out what is stored in the pantry, given its proximity and access to a nearby facility.  Google search came up empty for the "descriptive entry" used.  :classic_ohmy: 

32 minutes ago, checkitallout said:

We’re on the cruise from San Francisco back to New York. I want to thank you for your posts. Got me in the mood and gave me some useful info too. 

Plus there will be at least 20 of us at the M&G that are currently on the Gem so feel free to ask us questions after the Officers leave the M&G. 🙂

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks!  No we aren’t, but we will be spending a few days in SF (and seeing Hamilton there, our fifth time 😊).

If you are into Asian food in SF area, skip the "old" Chinatown & find your way to the Richmond District, just north of Golden Gate Park, along Clement Street - unlike the historic & colorful downtown.  Superior, nothing like what you had onboard the Gem - just ask around and/or look it up on friendly "Google".

The other area with wonderful Asian/Chinese dining options is in San Bruno, just east of SFO Airport, about 10 minutes away if you have a rental car or friends that are familar with the area - numerous places to eat, easily off I-380 at El Carmino Real ... on both sides in the north-south running corridor - as usually stay & book our extended lodging in that area.  

What are plans for San Pedro tomorrow, going ashore or stay onboard ...  Any interesting shorex by NCL, for the "convenience" ?? 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Bob and Betsy, Judith and Eileen, and all our Cruise Critic friends who are disembarking in San Francisco, have a safe trip home. It was a pleasure cruising with you. 

Thanks Paul!  It was great to see you and Ellie again, and to meet so many new Cruise Critic friends! 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

It will be so painful to cruise all the way back to NY . I don't know how we're going to be able to do it. 😁

It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it!  🤣  Safe travels to you and everyone else staying on, and to those disembarking on Friday. 

Just now, peg013 said:

Plus there will be at least 20 of us at the M&G that are currently on the Gem so feel free to ask us questions after the Officers leave the M&G. 🙂

Peggy, it was great to meet you and George. Thanks again for all your hard work on the M&G and everything else.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise back to NY!

• Like 1

Just now, mking8288 said:

What are plans for San Pedro tomorrow, going ashore or stay onboard ...

Thanks for the SF food tips.  We are having a DIY day tomorrow  — heading for the Maritime Museum of LA, and also the USS Iowa.  

And I think our days of wearing shorts are now over. ☹️

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

OooooKay ... odd location for a naughty room with stainless steel wide entry doorway.  Probably best to not ask more questions to find out what is stored in the pantry, given its proximity and access to a nearby facility.  Google search came up empty for the "descriptive entry" used.  :classic_ohmy: 

It’s actually used as a pantry for Acute Gastrointestinal sickness food services...

quarantine items...

Fortunately, not an issue on this cruise.

• Like 3

It was great meeting many of you from our roll call... both old and new friends!

Most of us still have a couple more days to enjoy before they drag us off, kicking and screaming...😄

They had early signature card redemption for those disembarking at San Pedro.  And the “Glow Party” was tonight.😎

We are spending two days with my sister-in-law in Walnut Creek, then Amtrak California Zephyr to Winter Park, Co., two days there with friends, then train on to Denver airport, and fly back to Florida.🙂

B37CC6ED-5F07-4DCC-9703-37480768F262.jpeg

7C5979D7-DC5E-45A1-B6E3-BF83151295F0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:57 PM, Turtles06 said:

LOL, you have a good memory. 😂  I do miss Huatulco.

We were saddled with Puerto Chiapas 2 years ago on the Sun.  Thanks to your review, we didn’t try an excursion.  Unfortunately it was one of 6 ports on a 15 day cruise - such a waste.  We did get to Hualtulco though.

Edited by herdingdogmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

We are spending two days with my sister-in-law in Walnut Creek, then Amtrak California Zephyr to Winter Park, Co., two days there with friends, then train on to Denver airport, and fly back to Florida.

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks!  No we aren’t, but we will be spending a few days in SF (and seeing Hamilton there, our fifth time 😊).

We are 10 minutes from Walnut Creek.  It is rainy and chilly here. Bundle up.

Looking forward to the review of SF Hamilton. We saw the NY production in November, but haven’t been to the “local” SF show yet.

1 hour ago, herdingdogmom said:

We are 10 minutes from Walnut Creek.  It is rainy and chilly here. Bundle up.

Thanks. We have come prepared! 

1 hour ago, herdingdogmom said:

Looking forward to the review of SF Hamilton. We saw the NY production in November, but haven’t been to the “local” SF show yet.

I will likely post over in the East Coast Departures forum, in a long-running thread called “Which Broadway Show?”   😀

I was looking at my docs today and noticed that they show the Gem docking at Pier 35 in SFO - I went to the port website to confirm and it shows them at Pier 27 - which is the main cruise ship terminal  (35 is an aux terminal). I have not heard anything from NCL (typical). So have they said anything about it on board??

39 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

I was looking at my docs today and noticed that they show the Gem docking at Pier 35 in SFO - I went to the port website to confirm and it shows them at Pier 27 - which is the main cruise ship terminal  (35 is an aux terminal). I have not heard anything from NCL (typical). So have they said anything about it on board??

Pier 27 is likely as it has a proper terminal for the turn-around. People will be disembarking and embarking.

1 hour ago, bonvoyagie said:

It looks like you’re correct...it shows us at 27, and the Seven Seas Mariner at 35, Friday...