Lisbon DIY

I am wondering if Lisbon is a place that you can DIY.  We would love to do a self guided walk around the city, and maybe a train trip out to Sintra or Cascias.  Is Lisbon the kind of place that one could enjoy and understand without a tour.  Which is more interesting, Sintra or Cascias?  Also is Belem easy to get to on your own? Final question...is the HOHO a good way to see the sights?  

It's a straightforward city to DIY. Most cruise ships dock within 5-10 minutes walk from the main shopping area around the Praca do Comercio. From here you can take a taxi, tuk tuk tour or HOHO bus tour. It's a very hilly city so not ideal for a walking tour of the major sites.

There are two famous tram routes; number 28 goes up the hill to the cathedral and castle, number 15 goes from the Praca do Comercio out to Belem. We used Uber to take a taxi out to Belem and from there took another Uber up to the castle.

For me Sintra is much more interesting than Cascais. Sintra has a lot of historical sites to visit including the Pena Palace, Castle, etc whereas Cascais is a beach resort for the residents of Lisbon. 

Edited by JimmyTheSaint
Answering the bit about walking tour

We were there this past summer.  We were in both Sintra and Cascais.  Would agree that if you could pick one that Sintra would be the choice.  We went to the Queluz Palace in Sintra.  We were there an extra day and did the HOHO bus. Got us to most of the historical sites including Belem.  We walked a bit through Alfalma but did not take the tram.  Bottom line it is very DIY.

Edited by mskaufman

Yes very do it yourself - however be aware that Lisbon is very hilly which will make some walking excursions to elevated vista points or places like Castelo Sao Jorge a bit challenging . BTW there are at least two "free" walking tour companies in Lisbon. There is an excellent metro system, that and a mix of the buses, tram cars and elevadors (1-2 block long funiculars) will get you most places and help minimize some of the more challenging walks. Definitely consider doing the Alfama district by foot - lots of nooks and crannies best seen by foot including the Tile museum and FADO clubs if interested. Definitely consider walking down to or up from Praco de Commercio from/to Rossio Sq or  Carmo district - lots of shopping/eating and elevadors Santa Justa and Gloria. We availed ourselves of a customized 2 hour tuk-tuk tour - reserved one of the many Tuk-Tuk companies about a 2 hour standard tour and then negotiated what we'd like to see with the driver which worked out well. A Tuk Tuk for 4-6 people is a good value - a little less so for just two unless you do a one hour with the guys you can pick up around town. We also decided to take a 7 hour small group mini-bus tour to Sintra ( which happened to stop briefly in Cascais on the way back along the coast). Outfit was called We Hate Tourists - wonderful tours and guides despite their name. As mentioned Belem can be reached by the 15 tram or even the small commuter train which runs out there. Just be aware Belem is about 10 miles northeast, its a time eater trying to include it in a city focused tuk-tuk tour, DIY separately if interested. 

Thank you all for the advice. Will plan out a DIY Lisbon and Belem for Day 1 and perhaps a tour out to Sintra Day 2. Does anybody know of Fado bars, where you can just order drinks and nibbles? I see alot offering meals, which we wouldn't want. Just want to hear some of this unique music.

9 hours ago, cleobella said:

Thank you all for the advice. Will plan out a DIY Lisbon and Belem for Day 1 and perhaps a tour out to Sintra Day 2. Does anybody know of Fado bars, where you can just order drinks and nibbles? I see alot offering meals, which we wouldn't want. Just want to hear some of this unique music.

I suggest you consult Rick Steves Portugal.  I have just used it to plan a two-week DIY with extensive time in Porto and Lisbon, but the beauty of Rick is that he offers suggested itineraries for 1-day, 2-days, etc. in each place.  He also has a section on Fado with various options of setting and food.

Lisbon by tram is great!

We spent a night in Sintra several years ago, arrriving from Fatima by car. Quite the adventure to get to our B&B up and down the windy streets so once we were there we parked and walked to the sights in Sintra itself.

When our ship is in Lisbon on 9/2, I want to return to Sintra and visit some of the castles we could only gaze at prviously. Our roll call is small so it will likely be just DH & I. Does anyone have recommendations for a tour from Lisbon that won't break the bank? RCCL has a couple of offerings but I fear they don't allow much time in Sintra since they include Cascais.

Thanks!

We've been to Lisbon several times--one of my favorite ports!  We used the HOHO bus the first time, did a private walking tour with other CC folks the second time, and the third time used Rick Steves guide to help me.  Stop in a bakery to try a custard tart the city/country is famous for <g>.

Lisbon is fine for DIY although you will likely want to take advantage of the wonderful tram system.  As was posted, parts of the city are very hilly and using the Tram can make your day much easier.  There is a lot of info on the web.  There are lots of potential DIY daytrips such as Sintra, Casais and Esteril but if you only have a single port day in Lisbon (and it is your first visit we suggest just staying in town.   As to Belem, yes you can get there on your own via public transit or you might prefer to grab a taxi.

Hank

Cleobella the only limited FADO experience I'm aware of is at Adega Machado ( Near/off the Cais de Sodre waterfront)  - the downstairs part (they run I think two small shows with a two drink minimum - its about a 1 hour experience). Upstairs is a full restaurant with show experience. There may be other limited experiences as you wander around the Alfama district where you can maybe just have a drink and listen - the Fado museum there might be another bet for a limited experience.

We were in Lisbon on a land trip. We did a day trip.  Train to Sintra.  Then a local bus to what was billed as the most westerly point, back on a local bus 45 minutes later to Cascais. Then a train back to Lisbon.  It is very doable in a day.  You do not need a tour for this.  Just do a little research on where to catch the train, times, bus scheds, etc.     

Spending a day wondering around Lisbon, riding the trams, is also very enjoyable.   We stopped off at the 'coach museum'.   We were the only people in the museum and we enjoyed it very much.  Takes less than an hour if you happen to be nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

Just realized we are in Lisbon on May 1st - from what I understand this is a national holiday in Europe.  Will anything be open?  What about general tourist attractions like the Sao George Castle, Se Cathedral, Mosteiro.........?