FOMO? (Fear of missing out) re; Glacier Bay

Linsifer

7 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

September is still summer and great weather in our part of the world....

I have been in Whistler in September and it was stunning! Loved it. You live in one of my favorite places in North America.

Though mid September and on in Alaska can get iffy. It can be great or it can get really ugly.

We would have to fly just to board an Alaskan Cruise from here.

But, if possible, AT ALL,  I would also recommend that you get to Vancouver and do one of those itineraries.

Your itinerary has a lot of time at sea, Stop in Canada, and some limited port times.

Imagine what you could see on a Cruise-Land tour if you have enough days.

I can recommend doing the Southbound, with a pre-cruise Glacier Tour from the port, before boarding.

The Northbound might. have advantages too.

If there is any way to do Adventure Bound, it is always recommended!!!   (would have done that if possible at all)

We went in late May, as I wanted the Alaskan snow and ice.

Yes, rain and fog were sometimes an issue.  We saw Hubbard Glacier as well,  but there was a low-lying overcast, so obscured those towering mountains!

Weather is always going to be wild card!

Edited by Wishing on a star

We have done 9 Alaska Cruises. Have seen glacier Bay in fog, as well as perfectly clear. While I would certainly recommend Glacier Bay for those that can see it. The glacier in Endicott arm is also well worthwhile.

• Like 1

"I also have to laugh at posters who boldly state that any given month is the rainy season or the dry season in Alaska.  Again, my experience is limited:

• 2 X cruises in April/May
  • 1 X cruise in August
  • 3 X cruises in September

We have encountered rain in every one of those cruises.  Never did that affect my enjoyment--even when our floatplane excurstion was cancelled in Ketchikan in 2018.  Ketchikan is in a rain forest.  What does that tell you?

Personally, I am sure that you will have a great cruise regardless of the month and regardless of the itinerary."

I have quoted some of what XBGuy said, and totally second that! We cruised once the week before Labor Day

weekend, once in August. and twice in September. We saw the Northern Lights in August! We had 80 degrees

once in Ketchikan, once in Juneau and had some rain here and there and wait for it..... A FABULOUSE CRUISE EACH AND EVERY TIME!

12 hours ago, Linsifer said:

Cruise Raider, we have a Club Class Mini Suite midship.  We were upgraded free to CC on our cruise to Hawaii this past April.  And an upsell to CC when we sailed down to Mexico.  So, now we’re kinda spoiled.  Actually, this Best. Ever. Sale. has helped! 

Thank you for your good wishes.  I know it’s not until 2021, but that will be here before you know it.

We’re really looking forward to the Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel adventure.  Glad you liked It! 

Oh yes ... club class is the best!!  We had it on our last sailing and our travel mates kept wanting to eat at the specialty restaurants and we just said, why??  We did end up for 2 meals at the Crown Grill but only because they were comped.  

And yes, we really enjoyed that GC Railway trip but it was during the off season so, we had our pick of rooms when we got there.  Even the included bus tour only had 7 passengers on it.  It was crystal clear and chilly the first day there and then came the snow and blanketed the Canyon.  It just doesn't get better than that.  

I hope you have an equally memorable experience when you go.  

On 1/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, martincath said:

Have you considered taking the Coast Starlight and Cascades up to Vancouver or Seattle then? IIRC the timing means about a day and a half on the train, but since you were looking at a 10 day that nicely dovetails with a 7 day cruise plus 3 days railing... and you've have way more options.

No, we haven’t, probably because we’re taking a long train trip in 2020.  Also, we just enjoy sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge. But, that’s always a thought for the future. 

Glacier Bay is a huge deal not because any individual glacier in there is more spectacular than Hubbard, or the bay itself as narrow and impressive as Tracy Arm, but because it has multiple glaciers in the same place (and they are quite different, including the most-actively-calving glacier you're likely to visit on any cruise in there parts) and you are as close to being guaranteed to get in and up close as you possibly can be. Tracy is notoriously hard to visit; Hubbard can be impossible to safely get near due to how huge the chunks are that fall when it does calve; but tales of missing Glacier Bay or failing to see anything due to distance or fog are extremely rare, Endicott is still narrower than GB so more prone to too much ice than GB, and if you do have ropey weather

Well, I guess we’ll just take our chances with Endicott Arm.  Maybe by early August there won’t be the ice one might see in May or later in the season. 

Would I refuse to sail on a trip without it? Heck no - in fact our most recent AK cruise didn't visit a single glacier at all (we didn't miss one, there were none on the itinerary!) But given that you already had one incredibly unlucky trip, why not stack the deck in your favour if it is viable to change to a GB itinerary?

I understand what you’re saying. 

But assuming you remain with just your two possible listed dates of Aug 9 or Sep 8 to choose from, I would be inclined toward the former - not because of the weather (August is only slightly dryer-and-warmer on average weather than early Sep, nowhere near as dry as May which is by far the best cruising month for avoiding rain) but more importantly you'd get a significant amount of extra daylight - if you're early risers or late bedders you'll have more than an hour extra on each end of the day to see the scenery from the ship, or actually hang around in port if you have e.g. one of the late Juneau slots where ships stay until 11pm. Compare your port dates here, and you'll see that the sun comes up about 70mins later and sets 70mins sooner on the same date in Sep than in Aug...

I do enjoy more sunshine, especially in the evening.  And we do only have the August and September dates.  So, we’ll probably just keep it as is and maybe someday do a cruise tour that includes GB.  Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Please reassure me that Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier won’t be a total bust.  Thanks! 

Alaska is amazing no matter where you go, IMHO. While we are definitely looking forward to finally seeing Glacier Bay next year, on our third Alaskan cruise, we'd still go without it. There's just so much to see, I feel like I'm missing out no matter where we go. Lol

We'd like to see Nome, Barrow, and Prudhoe Bay, among countless others. Places not included on cruiseline land tours. The more we learn, the more we want to see.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is there any advice for which side to book to get the better view fo Glacier Bay when taking the north bound trip? (Vancouver to Whittier)? Or, it doesn't matter much?

Also, we will need to book two rooms. Is it recommended to book two rooms on both sides (one on the left, and the other on the right) in case of that one side might have better view at certain point? 

Thanks a lot for all the input.

2 hours ago, adamhmc said:

Is there any advice for which side to book to get the better view fo Glacier Bay when taking the north bound trip? (Vancouver to Whittier)? Or, it doesn't matter much?

Also, we will need to book two rooms. Is it recommended to book two rooms on both sides (one on the left, and the other on the right) in case of that one side might have better view at certain point? 

I don't pay attention to sides (though I think there is a better side) because the best place to be is on deck so that you can move around. Don't limit yourself to your balcony or you are going to miss a lot!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adamhmc said:

Port side what you see will match the commentary from the bridge - ships rotates, but port side is always first as the ships always sail up the left of the bay. But agree with Coral - get out on deck for better views!

Hi Lin,

> Please reassure me that Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier won’t be a total bust.  Thanks! 

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier won’t be a total bust.   You're welcome.

I take it that you haven't yet visited an Alaskan glacier.  If so, it won't matter.

Besides, they all need a good cleaning.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

On 1/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, Cruise Raider said:

We've cruised up to Alaska 12 times and have another one booked ... so, you can well imagine, we've seen many different glaciers and sailed through many different fjords.  While I absolutely loved our day in Glacier Bay, you will be wowed by any experience up there, including Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm.  I've done these both in May and were not able to see anything ... the weather was so foggy and we couldn't even get up close to the glacier in one instance.  There was just way too much ice in the water.  August has been much better in terms of weather, for us, anyway.  The first week of Sept is our favorite time to go.  We've had really great luck during that time of the season.  I would hate for you to book just to see Glacier Bay and have nothing to see... And the Endicott Arm is hardly what I would call a total bust!  It's beautiful!!  Everything in Alaska is simply Beautiful. Just check out that color of the glacial ice.  There are just no words to describe it.  And ... don't miss out on the naturalist's talks!!  You will get so much more out of your experience.   

I've sailed Tracy Arm/Endicott in Sept. and there was still ice floating around.  Glacier Bay was a total bust on that cruise--hardly any snow covering the area around it--very gloomy (it was also an overcast day).  Usually we sail early in the season (May) and GB is glorious at that time of year.  The Sept. cruise was a retirement gift for my sister who had never cruised and the weather was really disappointing at GB, Juneau (rain) and elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I've sailed Tracy Arm/Endicott in Sept. and there was still ice floating around.  Glacier Bay was a total bust on that cruise--hardly any snow covering the area around it--very gloomy (it was also an overcast day).  Usually we sail early in the season (May) and GB is glorious at that time of year.  The Sept. cruise was a retirement gift for my sister who had never cruised and the weather was really disappointing at GB, Juneau (rain) and elsewhere.

That's too bad you had that disappointment!   In September, we didn't see a lot of snow in Glacier Bay either ... I could have sworn it looked like we were in the tropics with that blue green water and the brilliant sunshine.  It was a sight to see!  We've definitely been really lucky with the weather with all but one of our Alaska sailings ... and as mentioned, even the one with really awful weather will go down as one of the best cruises we've been on.  That one was Sept 16-26 .. so, rather late in the season.  In addition, we got the best close out deals (sweatshirts for $3, a nice warm lined rain jacket that I still wear all the time for $15, etc).  In Ketchikan, there were 5 or 6 ships in port and the shop owners were all thanking us for making our way into town.  There was nobody on the streets and that rain was really coming down!  Anyway, I see they are doing a few sailings up there into early October now.  I was surprised to see this.