Rhine water levels 2020 and similar topics

notamermaid

Now, let us indulge in food and dream of culinary delights while we wait for the world to become a better place for us humans and all felines. All animals appear to be relishing the emptiness and quiet towns and if it wasn't for the fact that we can give the Felidae family of mammals our Covid-19 I would be a bit happier, too.

Truffles, burgundy ones in fact! A rarer mushroom and with a price tag of the higher kind, it is one that will not be on many people's shopping list that often. So let us have a look at the experience of French chef Jean-Marie Dumaine who gathers them along the Ahr river. So where in France is that? Ha, fooled you, it isn't! The Ahr flows into the Rhine on the left river bank between Kripp (Remagen) and Sinzig. The valley is known for its red wine, rather than white wine. It is in Sinzig that the chef offers cooking classes and a gourmet food shop. https://m.dw.com/en/the-rediscovery-of-the-german-truffle/av-51271882

The Ahr valley has some lovely scenery, the river is not navigable, I recommend exploring it with the regional railway line "Ahrtalbahn". The valley is a small wine growing region and with its emphasis not being on mass production, the wines are often not much found beyond the wider region. I am still close enough for my supermarket to have a small selection and I buy a bottle occasionally. 

https://www.ahrtal.de/en/wine/

notamermaid

It has become a mere footnote in this weird non-cruising river cruising season: water levels. Yep, there once was a time when I would anxiously look at the graphs and the weather forecast for you - and many of you cruisers with me. Well, not wanting to add insult to injury, but beyond coronavirus concerns there is also a lack of rain and we, that is garden enthusiasts, the agricultural sector and the river transport industry, now also have to deal with drought. Rain is forecast for next week (a little from the looks of it on the map) but unless it rains significantly the statistics for April will show just 4 to 6 percent of the rainfall that is the long-term average for Germany. We are blessed with sunshine in this April that could go down in history as one of the sunniest ever with close to 190 percent of the long-term average of sunshine. The valley is dry, dusty and covered with pollen dust, the park vegetation is drying out.

So back to the footnote: Maxau 411cm, Kaub 119cm, Koblenz 120cm. Those are levels one expects in July, not in April. Barges and tankers are already sailing with reduced load.

And for reasons of social distancing, excursion boats are still not sailing.

notamermaid

As Oktoberfest has been cancelled for 2020 I do not think Christmas markets will happen. having gone to many Xmas markets in Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic they are mobbed and people shoulder to shoulder.  I hope I am proved wrong but I am not hopeful they will happen.

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Our July Alaska cruise looks very like not happening. So husband said let's go on a Rhine Christmas Markets river cruise. But do you think the Christmas Markets will all be banned this year?

Legally, it could depend on whether the Christmas markets are "Großveranstaltungen", large-scale events. As of now, those are banned till 31 August. There is no clear definition of what that is and what a cut-off point as regards numbers of visitors is. I personally cannot imagine Advent without Christmas markets. So far, I have read of one that has been cancelled due to lack of participating stallholders (not on a river cruise itinerary).

As cruisr said, those markets are "shoulder to shoulder", so although it is only April, we can already see now in these times of going through a period of trial and error as to what amount of mingling of the public is manageable, that at the current rate this "feeling our way into normality" will extent into Autumn.

In short, I am sceptical.

On a wider view of this, a Rhine River cruise of passengers from several countries together on one ship, travelling through four or five countries with full excursion package and unrestricted air travel is hard to imagine at the moment. Hopefully, by June we will be wiser as to what can be done in  more than minimal comfort.

notamermaid

The dwindling waters of the Rhine and drought have been picked up as a topic by the Straits Times in Singapore: https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/the-rhine-germanys-most-important-river-is-drying-out 

It says again what I have said, with added background information.

What I haven't mentioned before is the high risk of forest fires. There have been several small ones in Rhineland-Palatinate already, and elsewhere. And that menacing beetle is causing our forests much stress. We Germans, we have a special relationship with our forests they say...

Well, the British certainly have a special relationship with flowering gardens and this year the Royal Horticultural Show is not happening the normal way, it will go online! It was due to be held in May, now it is in the early planning stages for virtual visits. Here is the website: https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-chelsea-flower-show

notamermaid

I just got a lovely email from one of the tour companies I will be using for a land trip in Portugal this fall, telling me that Portugal will begin opening for tourism in May.  This is wonderful news, and I hope it is the beginning of a wave that will sweep across Europe.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just got a lovely email from one of the tour companies I will be using for a land trip in Portugal this fall, telling me that Portugal will begin opening for tourism in May.  This is wonderful news, and I hope it is the beginning of a wave that will sweep across Europe.

Europe is a better place to be in than two weeks ago. And while I think travel agencies and the like need to live on optimism and look towards the good life ahead, I am happy to agree with that more now. Portugal is still closed according to the notifications of our foreign office, but there is prospect for easing restrictions in May, it says. We are still far away from any kind of proper tourism here and my plans for the annual Summer trip to the UK are cancelled. But the signs are pointing in the right direction. Onward! The road is long but we will manage. Wishing you all the best and enjoy Portugal. I know a dear person who keeps saying how much he enjoyed his trip to Portugal (it was more than 20 years ago!). I have never been.

23 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I'm with you.  If we all remain positive and relax; everything will fall into place.  

I saw a headline in a local newspaper yesterday that read: first steps into a "new normality". Things are getting better. And they will continue to do so. The chaos of the first two weeks has passed and creativeness has eased the logistics. Just need to get used to wearing a face mask now when shopping.

Life is good for me and my family, the cats are happy and I got a nice e-mail from my boss saying: "(name withheld), you now this better than I, could you check this please?" Now, being very pleased about an assignment from my boss on a Monday morning eagerly awaited after idle days, is a feeling I do not have very often.:classic_wink:

This is my favourite image for the tragedy that has befallen the world, the lock down represented in a painting, but we will get out! It is called Hope by the 19th century painter Edward Burne-Jones: https://collections.mfa.org/objects/32751/hope?ctx=bf7f91ec-42a3-4927-9e43-777e903a08b7&idx=3

Until Sunday before last, in Rhineland-Palatinate we could not even get unto the Rhine unless for work (transport and maintenance, etc.) Now we can go fishing, sit in a rowing boat with two or take our tiny yacht for a sail (if we have one).

notamermaid

• Like 1

Borders and boundaries... another part in the series

These times are hard for all of us, even more so for those longing to be with their loved one. When the borders to other European countries closed, "cross-border lovers" suddenly found themselves stranded and physically distant from each other. But there is creativeness and hope. Here is an article by the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200409-couples-meeting-at-closed-borders-during-coronavirus

notamermaid

On Sunday I posted about the dry conditions. As promised we got some rain but not enough in the following four days. Today, Germany's state of nature has made it as "the image of the day" by - NASA!

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146647/parched-conditions-in-germany-again

But lo and behold, April the month of normally annoyingly unsettled weather is over and today it is pouring down.

Which is of course also good for the water levels. And though river cruise ships cannot sail, transport is ever running and the barge captains and logistical companies will appreciate the extra centimetres under the ships' keels.

Have a good weekend.

notamermaid

With the rain that we have had over four days, nature is a tiny bit better off, but where it shows more is in the figures for river levels that have gone up satisfactorily. Border controls are still in place and are increasingly becoming a bone of contention. We are all eagerly awaiting 6 May when the government meets again. No decision made can get us to unimpeded sailing on the river for leisure but we will see how much easier life on and along the river might get with decisions being made this week. One thing is for sure: even if we can travel along through Germany, a trip to Strasbourg from Kehl will not be possible for a while.

So while we wait, here is a story from a leafy suburb of Frankfurt on the Main to cheer you up. Jenny the horse rose to instant fame last year when her rambles where posted on the internet. I am happy to say that she is still walking through her neighbourhood, happy as ever and cheering up humans in these difficult times: https://www.voanews.com/europe/free-roaming-horse-cheers-german-town-during-covid-19-lockdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZlII7oDtj8

notamermaid

• Like 1

Two river cruise ships have left Cologne Niehl harbour, the Scenic Jewel and the Emerald Star, and are currently sailing in the Middle Rhine valley with destination Linz in Austria. A good sign? I would not read much into it yet. Ships can actually sail, there is no restriction on sailing, i.e. a ship can be re-positioned. On the Rhine, partly due to something called the Mannheimer Akte, a free trade and free travel agreement for the waterway, the Rhine is open for business without border restrictions. Of course, the ships do not pass a Rhine border seeing that they will enter the Main. However, the Danube does have controls at this time. Nevertheless, without passengers it looks as if both ships will be able to enter Austria. With Austria being ahead of Germany as regards easing restrictions, do the companies assume Austria will allow river cruises before Germany? Perhaps. They would have a point. In Germany, after the new announcements today, we can only meet with members of another household in public, Austria allows small gatherings of up to ten people in public. Hotels in Austria are likely to open before those in Germany.

Shipping on the Rhine is deemed an essential business to keep society running, so it has been running all through this crisis. So, if you are in Europe already, sneak into Basel industrial harbour and become the boy or girl scrubbing the deck or making the dinner you can sail all the way from Basel to Rotterdam, as long as you keep a distance of 1.5m to your captain. You prefer, Amsterdam? Sorry, Amsterdam is for the tourists, Rotterdam is for the people who do an honest day's job. :classic_wink:

What about land borders then? Germany is keeping its borders closed until 15 May, but will ease travel for commuters, families, etc.

Here are the current restrictions at the Swiss-German border: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_controls-extended-on-german-swiss-border/45737372

notamermaid

So here are the changes in Rhineland-Palatinate - they are similar in the other state but not the same - that are so important for starting tourism again.

But first: social distancing remains in place. New is from 13 May that members of one household can meet with several members of another household in public.

From 13 May, pubs and restaurants are allowed to open from 6am to 10pm. Only seating at tables, only pre-booked, info has to be provided that allows tracing of those that have eaten. That is the basic info, there are more details.

From 13 May, excursion boats can sail with the same level of hygiene, etc.

From 18 May, hotels, etc. are allowed to open.

This has prompted A-Rosa to announce that they plan to start river cruises again from around Whitsuntide.

notamermaid

Have you heard about any river lines starting back this summer? For me 2020 is a bust.  Will try again next year to sail the Rhine.  I am going to wait until end of summer before I book anything.  Hopefully things will have calmed down; and all the river lines will know how they will navigate the waters next year. Have a great weekend

Edited by AF-1

Thank you AF-1.

I have not heard anything new from other companies. Plantours, a German company that only operations on the German-speaking market have cancelled their river cruises into middle of June. Interestingly they are thinking of operating their small-ish ocean ships on short cruises in German waters only, in the near future, possibly even as early as June. As regards the new rules and regulations this could work. Phoenix Reisen will still resume on 16 June, as they had planned. A Swiss operator I checked is also planning for middle of June. But in essence, the European operators are getting ready for June sailings, a few earlier in the month but most of them in the second half of the month. Rhine (with partly the Moselle) and the Danube first, then the Elbe and possibly the French rivers at the same time or shortly after.

notamermaid

Imagine the scene: a cinema - the lights dim - voices go quiet - ominous music starts - and then a dark voice:

"There's a cold wind blowing from the Northeast"

It is actually cold in Germany, we have had a sharp temperature drop of close to 20 degrees Celsius in many parts. Yesterday we had a huge thunderstorm with much rain. Today it has been so cold that I nearly got my gloves back out. We will have a cold night with as low as minus three degrees in the high hills. It is not so unusual at this time of year. These few days in May are called the ice saints, with the "Cold Sophia" on 15 May. Around here when the locals speak it sounds more like "Kaale Soffie": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints

The neighbour's tomcat, having already shed some of his lovely winter fur, was looking tired and miserable this afternoon, meowing to me to give him some attention.

It is still quiet on the Rhine with no river cruise ships cruising and smaller ports where river cruise ships make up a bigger chunk of tourists will feel the reduced revenue from the lack of customers.

Let us have a look at Rüdesheim. Here is the list of planned dockings dated 11 May (updated regularly, you need to store it to safe it), starting from 1 June: https://www.landebruecken.de/timetable

I have made a screenshot of the first page: image.thumb.png.d8a0a9e662bac0c9cde2379acd9b6e32.png

The discrepancy in dates obviously means there will be no ship from 11 May to 31 May. 1 June starts with one ship, increasing slowly over the next few days. The normal amount of dockings for a typical day in the season is 6 to 10 without counting the Viking ships that dock at the private dock. Not sure how many that adds per day, I reckon between one and three. And look at the expected passenger numbers...

Of course, on top of there being no ships, much of tourism was non-existent, individual tourists are slowly coming back as May progresses. Excursion boats start sailing this week.

So there is now a substantial glimmer of hope on the horizon along the Rhine and while not all is well yet and things are getting for the better slowly in most places, Rhineland-Palatinate is getting better at a faster pace. Out of a population of 4.6 million only three people have died from covid-19 in the last 24 hours (from Saturday to Sunday there were no deaths) and only 16 new cases have been reported.

We have weathered the storm in Rhineland-Palatinate, we are managing, are still anxious of how things will progress. But it will get better if we all work at it.

And the tourism marketing people being the optimists that they always are, have started marketing our state that is full of forests as a great place to go to. You know, like: "back to nature, walking, cycling, forest perfect for social distancing, etc."

So stroke a cat, hug a tree and look for the silver lining.

Hope to be able to wave to you soon from the river bank again.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Here in the southern part of the US we call the cold weather in the spring blackberry (German brombeere) winter.  The blackberry bushes are typically blooming during this time, hence the name.  Yes, we've had a few days of cold weather here as well, dropping to around zero C, normally it's around 10-15 C at night.  

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_winter

Edited by The Other Tom
  • Like 1

Cold too this week in England - just as Boris says it's now compulsory to spend all day outside exercising! Ok maybe not compulsory! But for me social distancing = queueing, so to have to do that for every shop you want to enter, I don't think much shopping will go on, even if they do reopen. 

Hi All.   

it seems while our Viking Rhine trip is cancelled by Viking, the issues with Viking are not completed.   If this is better addressed on a different site, please let me know..

As some may know, Viking is offering 125% credit voucher, and there is a vague reference to a refund.   I just learned there is a time limit on choosing the refund.   Did everyone but me realize this ?   

Our original letter discussed the voucher, and referenced a refund possibility.  No deadline discussed, but apparently there was a link, which needed to be clicked, which went to a big button "for voucher click".    You had to read all the way to the bottom of the second letter to see the "if you want a refund, call by date X".    

Now, I'm being told it's too late to getm a refund.   Even though Viking's own terms and conditions indicate that if Viking cancels a cruise they owe you a refund.

Just curious if we're the only ones in "this boat".

J

18 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

Hi All.   

it seems while our Viking Rhine trip is cancelled by Viking, the issues with Viking are not completed.   If this is better addressed on a different site, please let me know..

As some may know, Viking is offering 125% credit voucher, and there is a vague reference to a refund.   I just learned there is a time limit on choosing the refund.   Did everyone but me realize this ?   

Our original letter discussed the voucher, and referenced a refund possibility.  No deadline discussed, but apparently there was a link, which needed to be clicked, which went to a big button "for voucher click".    You had to read all the way to the bottom of the second letter to see the "if you want a refund, call by date X".    

Now, I'm being told it's too late to getm a refund.   Even though Viking's own terms and conditions indicate that if Viking cancels a cruise they owe you a refund.

Just curious if we're the only ones in "this boat".

J

We were aware of the deadline as it was included in the original cancellation email sent from Viking on March 30th.  It said in part, "Our reservations team is currently in the process of issuing 125% Future Cruise Vouchers. However, if you prefer the alternative, you may choose a refund equal to the amount paid, by contacting your Travel Agent by April 6, 2020."

So now you have a voucher.   If you can't use it, Viking, in that same email, stated "For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires."

I got to tell you, Vikings Covid-19 cancellation policy is much more flexible than that of the major ocean cruise lines.

• Like 1