Rhine water levels 2020 and similar topics

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I have been out and about trying to capture the Autumn landscape in photographs (not always succeeding) and appreciating the sunshine and forests. I may post a couple of photos at another time.

Please post some pictures. Some of us are homesick for die Heimat. 

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Please post some pictures. Some of us are homesick for die Heimat. 

Ouammph - imagine a sound like that which means notamermaid is turning all soft and weepy. Will post a couple. I actually already have posted one! Remagen bridge in the photo quiz I took only a few days ago. A nice trip out onto Erpeler Ley. But more on that another day. One photo I could not take but wish I had been able to from the car is Schloß Arenfels in the hills above Bad Hönningen. It has been nicknamed "The Year Castle" as it has 365 windows, 52 doors and 12 towers. The vine around it shone golden and it looked really beautiful. An official aerial photo will give you an idea: https://www.luftbildsuche.de/info/luftbilder/burganlage-schloss-arenfels-schlossweg-bad-hoenningen-rheinland-pfalz-259156.html

It is very near Remagen and the website of the Schloss has a nice drone video of the building, the Rhine and Remagen with the bridge towers. At 2:47 you can see the Erpeler Ley plateau where I stood to take my photo: https://www.schloss-arenfels.com/

Compared to that, my photos look rather, err, pale and boring...

notamermaid

I have mentioned that I have been on short trips recently. Half-day (or a bit longer) mainly. The Rhine and Moselle valleys have much to offer as regards landscape shapes, colours and vistas in Autumn, so I have purposely gone for such places. And found some new spots that I had not been to before (unless I just cannot remember having been there as a child). One such spot is downstream from Koblenz called the Erpeler Ley. It is a rock facing the town of Remagen. Up on the plateau I met an unusual amount of people. It is evidently by far a "secret". Not too far from Bonn, it is a pleasant trip out there for city dwellers, easy access in a car, with a small typical German restaurant ready to serve tourists - even in winter, but then at weekends only.

The view is indeed great from up there, you can see far into the distance and make out the Eifel volcanoes far away. Here is the view upstream: IMG_20201101_155415.thumb.jpg.a1694a281f43d58e35e034a009665352.jpg

What makes Remagen mostly attractive for river cruisers is the famous bridge, which is no longer there, you know the history...

So here are the bridge towers on the Remagen side:

IMG_20201101_155919.thumb.jpg.9c0b0a3678094c39b6afbf08e61fcfc4.jpg

On the Erpel side, the train tracks led over the road and straight into a tunnel, going round in a large bend to meet the main railway line along the river further on. The tunnel is blocked and sometimes used to stage the play of the last few days of Remagen bridge in the original location.

I could not quite get a good shot of the downstream side from the Ley as the cloud cover was not favorable. Here it is anyway: IMG_20201101_160526.thumb.jpg.8f668beaef8e4ef270d9389e79960edd.jpg

In the front is Erpel with its church and in the middle of the photo you can just make out Apollinariskirche, a pilgrimage church. I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

A curiosity next to the restaurant on Erpeler Ley is a small cage with a few hens and a couple of peacocks. When I was there one was outside and one inside, it looked as if the one standing in front of the fence was desperately trying to get in!

IMG_20201101_161020.thumb.jpg.6d6c01b42ba3f29bb0d813c728839f1a.jpg

The hens were in the covered part but I think the peacock must have flown out over the open fence.

I also enjoyed the old beech forest leading up to the rock, I saw the trees at the right time with foliage on the ground and some of it still on the branches. A pretty combination.

The dark rock and the yellow vine clinging to the steep hills is a feast of contrasting colours to enjoy, photos only work so much to give you an idea of what I saw when driving through the valley. But the aerial photo I linked to on Wednesday gets close to seeing it "live".

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is quiet in the Rhine valley. Yesterday was Totensonntag, Sunday of the Dead, which is officially called a "quiet day". This means special regulations apply as regards events for example. No Christmas markets are open during the day. Some may choose to open after 6pm, which appears allowed at least in some places (rules can differ from state to state). In a normal year a few markets might have started on Friday or Saturday and then continued today. Alas, this year there is not much happening at all. In Koblenz, the Christmas Illuminations walk-through on Ehrenbreitstein Fortress now also had to be cancelled. In Linz on the Rhine, which has an Advent weekend market, they have cancelled their market and organized the whole town centre into a kind of "the whole town a market" event, which gives shops and stalls the opportunity to put on Christmas displays but leaves much space to wander and also discourages people from lingering with glühwein in their hands. I wonder if they will do more as regards crowd control by blocking access or a one way street system. That would be doable in this small town which is still partly surrounded by a town wall.

Some other places have reported they are doing small versions of Christmas markets, mostly those places with huge space to stretch out and only attract crowds regionally. Christmas markets for the masses are not really happening this year...

There is still the chance that I will make it to one or an event staged like that in Linz. The decorations in the streets are up and my neighbours' fairy lights on the balcony have been lighting up our street since Wednesday I think. People are eager to move on from bleak weeks and cannot get into the festive spirit early enough!

More lights mean more hope and warmth, I say. The brighter, the better, forget the electricity bills, put the lights on! :classic_biggrin:

On St. Martin's Day the children could not have their traditional parade with lanterns so the Fortress lit up instead. Beautiful!

It is an interview, but as it is a video you can see in archival footage what the children are missing out on, how the organizers have set up the equipment and the view from the Fortress and what it looks like from Deutsches Eck, so if you want, turn off the sound and just enjoy the lights:

Look after yourselves.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@worldtraveller99 , I am happy to read that and confident that in November 2021 you will have a splendid cruise.

If all goes well, I will be starting a 2021 thread in January and we will all share good news with little to say about high or low water levels. :classic_smile:

Take care and have a good Advent. I am sure despite everything the lights in London will be a feast for the eyes again.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Yes I saw the lights at Covent Garden on the TV news. Unfortunately we have not felt brave enough to go into central London on the Tube since March - after tube workers had died of the virus having to see thousands of people every day. So it doesn't feel very Christmassy here in the leafy suburbs at all.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:18 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

So it doesn't feel very Christmassy here in the leafy suburbs at all.

That is a great pity. I understand that with the Tube. As much as I love it, I think I would think twice about using it. Just wondering: could you do a personal drive-through in a taxi? Some areas of London are accessible by cab only and that would be something I would fancy doing. Depends on the cost of course... You need to get to the London taxi stands first.

The shopping streets have proper Christmas lights here, but those are not round the corner from me. I hope you have neighbours that enjoy putting up lights as much as mine do. Walked the streets nearby and people have done many balconies and ground-floor flats have lights on the window panes. It looks lovely.

notamermaid

P.S: For those interested: we have had very little rain, so the water level has dropped considerably. Kaub is now at 100cm and forecast to fall further.

Advent, Advent ein Lichtlein brennt. Erst eins...

Tonight I will light the first candle on my Advent wreath.

Things are quiet along the Rhine, but people are eager to decorate, put lights up and be creative with social distancing rules and all the regulations. Two enterprising brothers have found a way to bring pre-Christmas cheer to a part of Cologne: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-no-christmas-markets-but-some-mulled-wine-to-go/a-55753620

Yesterday, it was already dark, I had a shopping trip later in the afternoon than usual. On the way home, I passed a restaurant entrance that made me stop and look. It was open for pre-order takeaway, the entrance illuminated with dozens of lights. The potted trees on either side where adorned with fairy lights and all the tables set as if they were open as usual to welcome guests. It looked like normal times and really inviting and homely. Beautiful!

Determined to bring joy to my soul and this thread I will see if I can find some Christmas lights in the valley and post a photo here.

But first, a short report on a recent half-day trip to the Rhine gorge in a next post.

notamermaid

• Like 2

In November I had a (shorter than a full day) trip to the valley near Koblenz. Rhens was the destination, a small town on the left bank of the river. Rhens has a picturesque tiny town centre, a pleasant embankment and these I wanted to revisit, together with a drive up the hill to overlook the valley. The town was blocked off due to road works so rather than approaching it from another side and parking a little further away, we headed straight to the hills. For photos of Rhens have a look on google images.

A couple of sharp bends took us onto the hill overlooking Rhens. And here is an unusual attraction: the Königsstuhl. It is a replica of the original that had been in a spot further down near the village. It was the place for discussing the succession and sometimes even electing a king. Here is a short explanation: http://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhein-rhine/castles/koenigsstuhl.php

This is the Peace Cross next to the Chair: IMG_20201115_153455.thumb.jpg.6eb48ac90852f55642baba998271846c.jpg

The chair:

IMG_20201115_154658.thumb.jpg.92c8c9514d584807d0f68462a1e37448.jpg

The view downstream:

IMG_20201115_153939.thumb.jpg.49028600bac00b61ed13fe77780dd4ad.jpg

Rhens church and the upstream view towards the right bank through one of the Chair arches:

IMG_20201115_154335.thumb.jpg.3b0ea72b72579ac5673ddce4f01181f2.jpg

In the distance on the hill is Marksburg castle with the three chimneys of the former lead and silver mines and works on the hill behind.

It was a pleasant short trip with a different perspective and along a slightly different route through hills and valleys we went back home.

notamermaid

... dann zwei...

Tonight I have lit the second candle on my Advent wreath.

What a grey, rainy and boring day it has been. I had a drive into the hills and encountered snow at the side at the road left over from a few days ago, dark brown forest, fog - repeat...

A few scattered fairy lights and Christmas trees helped a bit to brighten up the landscape. The highlight of my day was finding a restaurant open for take-away lunch and not having to return home hungry. Not even the baker's I had chosen to go past was open. No spiced cake this afternoon.

Still, my limbs work and I have got a job, so I am lucky.

In the absence of any photos of the area and no Christmas market stories, here is a suggestion for a different background - some variety to the book cases or "red brick wall in garden" - for your next online meeting. Why not choose Koblenz Christmas market? The instructions are only in German, but it should be easy to figure out: https://www.koblenz-touristik.de/events/koblenzer-weihnachtsmarkt/weihnachtsmarkt-chat-hintergrund.html

Have a good evening and week.

🕯️🕯️ 

notamermaid

• Like 1

My Advent candles this year are a bit dodgy, not the usual quality so lighter in chief MDH  ( of course a mere female cannot be trusted with this essential task) has a bit of a challenge. Our outdoor lights are all working well if we could get our area in sinc we could rival Regents street. CA

...dann drei...

Tonight I have lit the third candle on my Advent wreath.

On 12/12/2020 at 9:35 AM, Canal archive said:

My Advent candles this year are a bit dodgy, not the usual quality so lighter in chief MDH  ( of course a mere female cannot be trusted with this essential task) has a bit of a challenge. Our outdoor lights are all working well if we could get our area in sinc we could rival Regents street. CA

I returned mine as the colour was not to my liking and now I have got similar ones in a more rustic finish in a typical Christmas red. Lovely to read you have your immediate environs all bright and festive.

The last two days of shopping will be a mad rush in Rhineland-Palatinate, I am sure. Then the valley and life in it will go really quiet.

I have still not been anywhere in the dark where there are nice lights, other than my streets nearby. So have I decided to show you my most humble display: 1247796286_IMG_20201213_172002-Kopie.thumb.jpg.899924ed4bf1c9d2eb299ed8c3740673.jpg

I know it is not much. I reclaimed a tinplate lantern in a worn white finish without glass from a scrap pile nearby, just could not stand this being thrown away. And just added a string of lights to it. It is standing on old sandstone slabs next to the plant table in my yard, next to the dustbin. It lights up my path when I go to the bins and cheers me up every time I see it. As I said, it is not much, but means much to me.

Have a nice evening and a good week.

🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
missing word
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

...dann drei...

Tonight I have lit the third candle on my Advent wreath.

I returned mine as the colour was not to my liking and now I have got similar ones in a more rustic finish in a typical Christmas red. Lovely to read you have your immediate environs all bright and festive.

The last two days of shopping will be a mad rush in Rhineland-Palatinate, I am sure. Then the valley and life in it will go really quiet.

I have still not been anywhere in the dark where there are nice lights, other than my streets nearby. So have I decided to show you my most humble display: 1247796286_IMG_20201213_172002-Kopie.thumb.jpg.899924ed4bf1c9d2eb299ed8c3740673.jpg

I know it is not much. I reclaimed a tinplate lantern in a worn white finish without glass from a scrap pile nearby, just could not stand this being thrown away. And just added a string of lights to it. It is standing on old sandstone slabs next to the plant table in my yard, next to the dustbin. It lights up my path when I go to the bins and cheers me up every time I see it. As I said, it is not much, but means much to me.

Have a nice evening and a good week.

🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️

notamermaid

It is beautiful and welcoming.  What a beautiful way to warm the cold nights. 

...dann vier...

Tonight I have lit the fourth candle on my Advent wreath.

It has been a weird week. Now places are quiet in the Rhine valley, depressingly quiet. On Sundays, shops are closed in Germany anyway, but we would normally have many strollers in the streets just enjoying the lights and people flocking to Christmas markets. In Rhineland-Palatinate we are not banned from travelling so you do see people in the streets. I went out as well today, for a longer drive in the car. The destination was Boppard. Right in the popular Rhine gorge, some of you will know the town from a river cruise. I had not been there for several years. Yes, it was relatively empty but not deserted. Here are finally some photos of Christmas lights. It is not Regent Street in London, Canterbury or Koblenz, but it was pleasant.

The river bank with the famous Hotel Bellevue adorned with lights and Christmas trees:

IMG_20201220_162701.thumb.jpg.4f58f1355619214ee808f32ab5a43f67.jpg

This is the market square, empty of stalls with just a few people and two boys playing football (just one visible in this photo):

IMG_20201220_164100.thumb.jpg.d12166d186e24d1ad6d75a69997bec6f.jpg

The shopping street:

IMG_20201220_164232.thumb.jpg.1ef1db98b43e62e7304ff3969c5ac5ed.jpg

When you enter where I walked out of the street this sign greets you:

IMG_20201220_165051.thumb.jpg.057185d32cbac07ef10728be709f2b40.jpg

It was time to head back after this. Dinner was a bit late tonight but that did not matter too much as a café at the market square was open and I got some food in. Kept me going till I had cooked. :classic_smile:

Have a nice evening and stay safe.

🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️

notamermaid

• Like 2

A belated 

Happy Birthday, Ludwig!

Bonn and the world celebrated his birthday on 16/17 December with the main event being a concert conducted by Daniel Barenboim in Bonn. Beethoven was baptized on the 17th and presumably born on the 16th. I forgot to post this earlier. Sorry.

https://www.dw.com/en/daniel-barenboim-conducts-on-beethovens-anniversary/a-55971615

But the article is interesting to read. I find it fascinating how the composer has influenced and inspired so many people around the world. His popularity never seems to decrease and one particular part of one work brings great joy at this time of year.

More on that another day.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Bonn University Botanic Gardens (uni-bonn.de) Would have liked to have more time in the city and wander.

We did see the gardens with a student from the university who had a wealth of knowledge about the plants and garden.

Later we walked to a very nice cafe for coffee and cake.

From memory some of the streets had a musical theme/names?

It looked a charming city. memories are great in these difficult times. 

pully8, thanks for the link. To my great shame, I have never been to the famous botanical gardens. I lived and worked in Bonn (a suburb that is) for a short period in the nineties, during which time I regularly visited the Christmas market there. Bonn centre has many cultural street names, from music and from literature, but also scientists near the university. I prefer Bonn's feel to Cologne. And the Hofgarten is lovely for a stroll. The students sit on the grass in Summer and the Rhine is nearby. 

I still have a souvenir mug from Bonn Christmas market. This year it has been cancelled of course, but an agency has set up a virtual market. In the background are photos of the stalls how they were in previous years. And there is a photo of Beethoven's statue: https://weihnachtsmarkt-bonn.online/

notamermaid

• Like 2

...dann steht das Christkind vor der Tür!

It is Christmas Eve, the afternoon of it, and we are eagerly awaiting the Christkind knocking on our door, it is already standing in front of it. That concludes the rhyme and is the beginning of celebrations.

I have returned from last minute shopping - food only really as all other shops are closed - and on this rather silent 24th December and in deserted streets life feels weird but I was determined not to let it impact my excitement too much.

I can smell the arriving snow in the air, it has got cooler and all the rain that is still falling will cause mild flooding tomorrow.

This holy night will also be a bit more silent as there will be no gatherings outside of churches and few people are allowed in. I am not sure if singing is allowed. In this most unusual year, singing that should give us hope and joy is one of the most dangerous activities. And also oddly, while shopping, the biggest smile and "Frohe Weihnachten" wish came from an Asian lady who I know does not celebrate Christmas. They have their deity and lotus flowers on the counter in the restaurant.

But joy and music spans cultures, overcomes differences and in one music piece connects us more than in others, especially at this time of year. It started in a townhouse in Bonn with the birth of a boy into a musical family 250 years ago. The rest is history. And here is the history behind Ode to Joy - with Schiller's ever so hopeful line: all men will be brothers!

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2020/12/in-japan-beethovens-ode-to-joy-is-a-christmas-carol

notamermaid

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 6:46 PM, TheKingD said:

@notamermaid, thank you for the genuine kindness you bring to these message board.  We hope you have a blessed holiday season and we are wishing good health, hopefulness and happiness to you and other posters and readers in the new year.

Thank you for your kind words. I seem to remember you have re-booked your river cruise. How is this - eehmm - coming along?

Time to wrap up the year on the Rhine in my next post. Oh my, it feels as if I am closing the chapter in the book without having started to read it, or quit after the first two pages... Weird.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, I agree that is seems like we are closing the chapter.  Definitely weird.

We were fortunate to have taken a Rhine River cruise in 2019, and that was one of our best vacations ever.  We had booked a Danube cruise for 2020, and that cruise was cancelled once things started to unravel.  We were also fortunate to have received full refunds - both from Crystal Cruises for the cruise and also from Lufthansa for the flights.  At this point, we are waiting for better times before we even consider another cruise, and we are perfectly happy staying at home for the time being.

We are in Charlotte, and I remember you have a friend in our area, and I hope he is OK.  If I can do anything to help him, please let me know.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

I would have been happy to re-book and get a 25% additional credit, but DH has said that unless Crystal brings a river ship over to the Mississippi, he is done!  He only wants to be some place where he could drive home if need be, and he definitely doesn't want to be on a cruise to nowhere or on a cruise where everyone is quarantined in their cabins.  I think we will cruise again at some point, and a river cruise is my first choice.  Here's hoping!