Surprised that YC remains so cheap relative to NCL Haven

pettums

19 hours ago, pettums said:

I have always just booked a suite at NCL directly without bidding. We have mainly sailed on NCL out of Boston to Bermuda. And on those cruises all the suites do tend to sell out during the summer months even at the "sucker rates". So typically you are paying around $12-14k for a 7 night cruise in a 2-bedroom suite. And that would be on the Gem which is an old ship.

Though that seems high it often seem a better value than DCL. On DCL for a 7-night cruise in two oceanview rooms we are paying around $13k on the Fantasy. 

I don't mean to suggest that YC is cheap in an absolute sense. Just that its pricing is cheap or apparently good-value compared to other lines for us even though we are getting two cabins. So it must seem great value relatively if you are a couple.  And I had thought that their plan must be to bring the pricing up into line with the other lines at some point. But they don't seem to have done that yet. 

NCL has pretty much a lock on the Boston to Bermuda route for years and can charge what they want, especially for suites.  I know Gamblinrose goes every year in a suite and bikeratsea has snagged several last minute deals for $299 on shoulder season.  NCL made change to Gem to shake things up a bit for that route imo.

I'd agree with Trina.  NCL keeps jacking prices because they can fall back on the bid program imo.

Also, NCL has a wide range of rooms with the cheapest suites about the same as a YC deluxe. YC suites aren't exactly anything to write home about.  The service, however, is better.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, frank808 said:

YC prices while still relatively "cheap" compared to our line of choice.  The prices have gone up about 50% for my cruises in 2020 compared to 2018. 

YC1 in July 2018 was about $4500 each week for the 3 of us.  Our YC1 June 2020 cruise is running right around $6800 a week for 3. 

Still a great value in my eyes but the prices are rising.

Our MSC Yacht Club price history (for two) on cruises completed 2017-2018-2019 (image) and upcoming 2020 is $8,856 for Meraviglia B2B for two also; $2,214 PP per week.

YC Cost.JPG

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

NCL has pretty much a lock on the Boston to Bermuda route for years and can charge what they want, especially for suites.  I know Gamblinrose goes every year in a suite and bikeratsea has snagged several last minute deals for $299 on shoulder season.  NCL made change to Gem to shake things up a bit for that route imo.

If MSC does read these boards, then it would seem to me a good idea to get inspired to check out the Boston market. Lots of people, who are willing to pay a lot of money, without much choice! And I am sure they would love the YC. Having said that NCL is also expensive out of NYC (though on newer ships). 

47 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

B2B prices in the YC are terrific in comparison to the Haven.

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Our MSC Yacht Club price history (for two) on cruises completed 2017-2018-2019 (image) and upcoming 2020 is $8,856 for Meraviglia B2B for two also; $2,214 PP per week.

YC Cost.JPG

They do seem to be holding very steady to me. Unlike any other cruise line we contemplate! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fogfog said:

YC prices have gone up

They don't restrict kids... (adults only) Wish is was adults only

They have made cutbacks on the premium package as well as the minibar in the room 

Food and service can be spotty

Some rave about it. Some gripe

Prices on many lines have skyrocketed 

The poor reviews of Havens dining room (small, waiting for tables etc) turned us away

I am not a fan of the YC (despite being on the board), and happy to pay a 40% premium to be on NCL or DCL as a family. And indeed have done so since our last two experiences of YC. 

But it strikes me that for many people's needs and wants the YC may be preferable to the NCL haven as well as being substantially cheaper.

I guess there are three theories:

1) There are more people like us who would probably have need a 40% discount relative to NCL or their cruiseline of choice to think about doing MSC/YC if their favored line offered the same itinerary. I generally think of myself in the minority as not being an MSC/YC fan but perhaps I am not.  

2)  They are still building up brand loyalty. 

3) They are not very good with pricing. 

I believe you are in the minority. Usually the complainers on anything seem to be the majority on posting. This doesn't seem to be true concerning the YC. I've sailed the YC on the Divina and loved it, but would no longer consider the YC since they cheapened the product, so in essense, raised the price. I've sailed in Aurea, and enjoyed that, and am booked Fantatica on the Meraviglia, and expect to enjoy that too.

17 minutes ago, pettums said:

I am not a fan of the YC (despite being on the board), and happy to pay a 40% premium to be on NCL or DCL as a family. And indeed have done so since our last two experiences of YC. 

But it strikes me that for many people's needs and wants the YC may be preferable to the NCL haven as well as being substantially cheaper.

I guess there are three theories:

1) There are more people like us who would probably have need a 40% discount relative to NCL or their cruiseline of choice to think about doing MSC/YC if their favored line offered the same itinerary. I generally think of myself in the minority as not being an MSC/YC fan but perhaps I am not.  

2)  They are still building up brand loyalty. 

3) They are not very good with pricing. 

Strong #2; they didn't have a North America itinerary customer base and, in starting in 2017, with the announcement of the six ships in two classes, plus the private island, they heavily discounted to "build a customer base."

This was from a MSC sales management/executive on our Seaside sailing in 2018.

Also, for us, the itinerary means little as these new mega ships are all in the Caribbean from FL and hit the same ports over and over; we go 'for the ship (newness) and 'the experience (Yacht Club, and we do the Haven when priced appropriately; as was our last 21N LA-NY via Panama Canal) and to get nice warm weather and sun.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Also, NCL has a wide range of rooms with the cheapest suites about the same as a YC deluxe. YC suites aren't exactly anything to write home about.  The service, however, is better.

When I research I never find any NCL suites priced the same as the YC deluxe suites. (At least not if the suites has Haven access.) They always cost much more.

The cheapest Haven suites located within the Haven are not better than the YC deluxe suites, I think.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I believe you are in the minority. Usually the complainers on anything seem to be the majority on posting. This doesn't seem to be true concerning the YC. I've sailed the YC on the Divina and loved it, but would no longer consider the YC since they cheapened the product, so in essense, raised the price. I've sailed in Aurea, and enjoyed that, and am booked Fantatica on the Meraviglia, and expect to enjoy that too.

How did they cheapen the product? Are you thinking of adding interiors to the yacht club room roster? 

7 hours ago, pettums said:

If MSC does read these boards, then it would seem to me a good idea to get inspired to check out the Boston market. Lots of people, who are willing to pay a lot of money, without much choice! And I am sure they would love the YC. Having said that NCL is also expensive out of NYC (though on newer ships). 

...To not talk about that there is an extremely large community of Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese expats (from countries where MSC is pretty much well known and for whom they cater the most) living in the whole New England area (including Boston)!... It would to be a plus for them when sailing from there!...

3 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

...To not talk about that there is an extremely large community of Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese expats (from countries where MSC is pretty much well known and for whom they cater the most) living in the whole New England area (including Boston)!... It would to be a plus for them when sailing from there!...

We would love to take MSC to Bermuda. 

I've sailed in the Haven on the Getaway, and I have 2 upcoming cruises in the Haven on the Bliss and Encore. I previously had a cruise booked on the Divina in the Yacht Club, but it got cancelled due to a charter. It was a 10 night Caribbean cruise out of Miami, and was a hair under 6k for the 4 of us (2 kids), which at the time I thought was a fantastic price (600/night). I've been looking for a chance to try the YC again, but prices have gone up significantly since then. From what I've seen, YC prices at the low end are pretty much on par with Haven prices at the low end. For example, the cheapest deluxe room for us starts at 5k (from a US port). Our Bliss cruise was a hair over 6k (which includes the free at sea gratuities). Yes the YC is 1k cheaper but the main differences are that port and the room. We've leaving out of NYC and I've seen similar Haven cruises out of FL for as low as 5k. The bigger difference is the room. We have the Aft Penthouse on the Haven (H6), which is obviously much bigger than the YC deluxe suite. When I tried to pitch the YC to my wife, she was onboard until I showed her the room, which she complained was just a standard balcony cabin but a bit bigger. I showed her the family suite, and she was onboard until I told here there was no balcony. That was a non-starter. So for us the biggest issue with the YC is the suites. For our family, the Haven suites work better, whether it's an H4, H6, H7, etc. I can see a more appropriate comparison between the H5 and the deluxe suite, since those cabins are similar, but we can't stay in an H5 since I think they only hold 3 max. Also I would always pick an H6 over an H5 anyway, the aft view and balcony are awesome plus the walk to the Haven is not an issue for us.

We've stayed in the Haven Owner Suite, H4, H5 and H7 and the YC interior, YC1 and YC Executive Suite. The Haven rooms are typically larger than YC suites. However, the price points have dramatically diverged in the past few years. Five years ago, I got a Haven Owner's suite out of N.Y. on a 7 day cruise for $5,000 for 4. Same suite now is over $10,000. We booked a YC interior on the Meraviglia when she first launched for $1,750. Obviously different rooms space wise, but the experience is very similar.

The Top Sail Lounge beats the Haven lounge on every ship we have sailed. I also prefer YC dining to Haven dining. Perks are pretty similar for both experiences. On most cruises, we don't spend a lot of time in the room. For us, the lounge, outdoor deck and dining are the major issues. On that front, the YC has been as good or better than the Haven, and the price for the YC is usually substantially better than Haven. NCL used to be our go to line, but since Del Rio, they are pricing themselves out of the market when you compare them to MSC. 

Plus add 20% for drinks and dining package.  Add in much higher DSC. Most promos until some recently didn't include pax 3&4 for dining and drinks.  All for your convenience, of course on NCL.  Plus add in overworked staff.

• Like 1

Pettums, my thoughts of cheapening the product centers on the drink pkg, What is now the premium plus used to be the premium that came with the YC. It included any drinks in the mini bar with refills, and just about any drink available throughout the ship. This was without upgrading the pkg.

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Pettums, my thoughts of cheapening the product centers on the drink pkg, What is now the premium plus used to be the premium that came with the YC. It included any drinks in the mini bar with refills, and just about any drink available throughout the ship. This was without upgrading the pkg.

I believe the mini bar is still included.   The last two times that I have sailed Seaside in YC, I read on CC that there are things that are no longer included only to find out once I board that they are included.  Hoping that is the same this July.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Plus add 20% for drinks and dining package.  Add in much higher DSC. Most promos until some recently didn't include pax 3&4 for dining and drinks.  All for your convenience, of course on NCL.  Plus add in overworked staff.

Exactly. That is what put us over the edge as regards NCL. We are not big drinkers. Therefore, the "free drink" package was costing us money unless I drank about 50 Coke Zero's which would make for a pretty hyperactive cruise. They also banned bringing your own 12 pack of soda in case you had any ideas about rejecting the drink package. Then throw in the higher DSC for suite guests and you are easily looking at an extra $500-$1000 depending on the number of passengers. Pretty soon NCL will just turn you upside down at embarkation and see how much money and cards they can get to fall out of your wallet. 

6 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

I believe the mini bar is still included.   The last two times that I have sailed Seaside in YC, I read on CC that there are things that are no longer included only to find out once I board that they are included.  Hoping that is the same this July.

Am in the YC on Meraviglia right now.  Mini bar is included and replenished twice a day including drinks, Pringle’s and nuts (I think I read a while back that the latter 2 items were one time only).  It’s our first time on MSC and we are making plans for another cruise!

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Am in the YC on Meraviglia right now.  Mini bar is included and replenished twice a day including drinks, Pringle’s and nuts (I think I read a while back that the latter 2 items were one time only).  It’s our first time on MSC and we are making plans for another cruise!

Glad to hear that. We are on the Meraviglia in April and really like the mini fridge/bar perk.

7 hours ago, neptuno said:

MSC  is cheap for a reason.  Poor website, poor customer service.  You pay for what you get.

This is a MSC vs NCL post.  NCL has been trying to mug every penny out of you for the last four or so years.  They are public company looking for profits.  MSC privately owned and while some things are an afterthoughts they do care about giving a good product.

NCL website is better but customer service not.

Funny! I've booked 3 cruises on MSC's website without any problems, and never had a problem on the ship because they had something different on their computer than what I had booked,whether a drink pkg or an excursion. If I have to call MSC, I do it early in the morning, and have very little wait time. By the way, as you can see by my signature, I've sailed just about all the mainstreams and wait times on he phone can be long on any if them, and depending on who you get, the info will be right or wrong.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:54 AM, deliver42 said:

You said you wouldn't sail YC because they cheapened the product.  Was that based solely on your believing they took away the free mini bar?  You've since found out that that wasn't true.  Do you still believe it cheapened?