Majesty Diamond situation

On 1/5/2020 at 1:05 AM, HSVcruiser01 said:

I am book in February and received an email saying that from 01/01/2020 there is only 3 drink vouchers. If I had know before, I would not have booked the ship ! If you want bottled water at night at least one voucher will be gone.... not a ship I will ever book again ! 

so disappointing.  one thing that has kept us on RCI cruise ships exclusively for years is the Diamond/Diamond + bennies.  they seem to be going away.  quickly.  we love the lounge. 3 drink vouchers are nice, but the point of the lounge was to have a place to relax and meet other cruisers like us. What is RCI thinking?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RCLDIAMONDIAM said:

so disappointing.  one thing that has kept us on RCI cruise ships exclusively for years is the Diamond/Diamond + bennies.  they seem to be going away.  quickly.  we love the lounge. 3 drink vouchers are nice, but the point of the lounge was to have a place to relax and meet other cruisers like us. What is RCI thinking?

Majesty never had a lounge. They had an "event" in the VCL each evening. Like minded cruisers can still gather there in the evening and use their vouchers for drinks. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I emailed Michael Bayley on this topic.  Received a reply & spoke to a rep from the Executive Office.  I had asked if in lieu of the specialty coffee machine in the DL operating 24/7 - could there be a coffee card for D,D+, etc. (as offered on other ships if the machine is broken, to alleviate crowds). I also asked if to make up for lack of Diamond Event, would RC consider maybe 5 drink coupons instead of the three.  She replied that the 3 drink coupons WERE to make up for the lack of DL.  But I explained that was hardly a fair trade as we had unlimited drinks in the DL plus the 3 drink coupons. Also, there was a certain level of service that you got n the DL that you likely would not get at a bar, eg. the Concierge/bartender coming around to top up your drinks, etc.  

And just thinking, usually get extra bottles of water from the bartender in the DL - do we get bottles of water from the bars on Majesty?

NJ 

Rep reply below:

"Thank you for taking time to speak with me today, and your patience while I found an answer about the coffee.

Currently, we are working on coffee cards, however, that has not been confirmed as of yet. For now, we will still have coffee available in the Main Dining Room during breakfast hours. If and when this changes, we will be sure to let all guests affected know.

Additionally, we are sticking with 3 drink credits daily. We truly appreciate your suggestions, and I've forwarded them for further internal review."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Am I missing something?  Was there ever a coffee machine in the VCL on MJ for Diamond and above?  I thought it was just an event. Don’t recall anything in the AM much less a coffee machine. 

No, there is no coffee machine in the VCL.  Looks like on Majesty there is only coffee available in MDR for breakfast - not throughout the day.  Asking if it's possible to have specialty coffee for D above at one of the coffee venues on the ship by way of a coffee card.  Normally on other ships a coffee card is given if there is a high volume of D above guests or if the machine in DL is being repaired.  It's nice perk that isn't on the Majesty.

NJ 

6 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

No, there is no coffee machine in the VCL.  Looks like on Majesty there is only coffee available in MDR for breakfast - not throughout the day.  Asking if it's possible to have specialty coffee for D above at one of the coffee venues on the ship by way of a coffee card.  Normally on other ships a coffee card is given if there is a high volume of D above guests or if the machine in DL is being repaired.  It's nice perk that isn't on the Majesty.

NJ 

Ok. But I thought you said in lieu of a coffee machine in the DL. No DL on MJ. 

13 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Majesty never had a lounge. They had an "event" in the VCL each evening. Like minded cruisers can still gather there in the evening and use their vouchers for drinks. 

Yup. I'm aware. but still a relatively private area to relax, and enjoy a few snacks and drinks with like-minded frequent cruisers.  it may not be a permanent lounge, but for all intents and purposes, it is

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RCLDIAMONDIAM said:

Yup. I'm aware. but still a relatively private area to relax, and enjoy a few snacks and drinks with like-minded frequent cruisers.  it may not be a permanent lounge, but for all intents and purposes, it is

The VCL is still available as a place to relax and enjoy drinks with "like-minded frequent cruisers". You asked "What is RCI thinking?" Consistency would be my guess. And it's being done by making the 2 ships w/o a dedicated lounge.....Majesty and Empress.....have the same offerings. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

The VCL is still available as a place to relax and enjoy drinks with "like-minded frequent cruisers". You asked "What is RCI thinking?" Consistency would be my guess. And it's being done by making the 2 ships w/o a dedicated lounge.....Majesty and Empress.....have the same offerings. 

Only their benefit chart says 

6 The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event is a benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. The event will take place approximately between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Maybe they should have added the event to Empress in stead of taking it away from Majesty.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I meant chipping away at D and D+ benefits is baffling. When there are virtually none left, loyal line cruisers will go elsewhere.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:47 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I would like them to have consistency, so i don't have to research every ship.  I gave them the consistency theory and was totally surprised no evening event for diamonds and above  on empress. Ive been on plenty of ships who moved from diamond lounges to other locations to accommodate bigger numbers.  So not having a diamond lounge didn't signify to me no nightly events.  After my shock,i search, and i see it just happened to majesty sailing.  They need a new classification on ships.    Limited benefit ships. It should be emailed to every award member booking these ships as a caution with the opportunity to cancel. As a loyal to royal, i miss the social opportunity. I will not book ships that don't offer this. And don't like the fact i have to study now. 

Bring on the consistency! 

Ps.. empress junior suite needs named very petite junior suite.(more like regular balcony on other ships, no bathtub either... maybe just not call them junior suites at all) I heard grand suite gentleman with the same shock. 

Again... be consistent across the entire fleet. 

2 hours ago, want2go said:

I would like them to have consistency, so i don't have to research every ship.  I gave them the consistency theory and was totally surprised no evening event for diamonds and above  on empress. Ive been on plenty of ships who moved from diamond lounges to other locations to accommodate bigger numbers.  So not having a diamond lounge didn't signify to me no nightly events.  After my shock,i search, and i see it just happened to majesty sailing.  They need a new classification on ships.    Limited benefit ships. It should be emailed to every award member booking these ships as a caution with the opportunity to cancel. As a loyal to royal, i miss the social opportunity. I will not book ships that don't offer this. And don't like the fact i have to study now. 

Bring on the consistency! 

Ps.. empress junior suite needs named very petite junior suite.(more like regular balcony on other ships, no bathtub either... maybe just not call them junior suites at all) I heard grand suite gentleman with the same shock. 

Again... be consistent across the entire fleet. 

Consistency will come soon in way of SL on all ships. (Excluding MJ/Empress). 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, lauraapp said:

This is really upsetting.  Booked for May 2020 and I would not have booked if this was the case.  I was told DL was set up in Viking Crown!

We just booked the Majesty in March. This is very disappointing. I enjoy sitting in the lounge meeting new friends.

I would of booked another cruise if I knew this ahead of time.

• Like 2

We just arrived home two days ago from a b2b2b on the Majesty from 1/25 - 2/15.  We loved the ship, the crew, the food, but the evening happy hour sucked, big time.  First of all the Diamond Event cancellation emptied the Viking Crown Lounge.  It's pretty dead up there now, and all the time.  I can see them eyeballing that area for some changes, because the revenue has probably dropped considerably.  I was emphatic on all 3 of my post-cruise surveys about this, and what I have to say below.

The bar service during the Diamond and above happy hours is terrible in the Viking Crown Lounge and Boleros.  Crickets in both places.  The bar staff in the Viking Crown are almost non-existent in the early part of the happy hours from 4:30 - 6pm.  They eliminated the walk up bar in the Viking Crown, so if you can't find a bar waiter, you can't get a drink.

In Boleros it's almost as bad.  One bar waiter for the whole lounge until more people show up.  At least we could walk up to the bar to get our drinks.

So, they try to sooth us with "use your 3 complimentary drinks nightly on your card", but then you have a hard time finding someone to to get a drink from, and we tip for every happy hour drink we get, too.  Standing at the bar in Boleros waiting, I noticed other D-and-above getting their drinks, and way saddened by how many people don't add a tip.  

So, it will be interesting to see what happens to the VCL space.  I hope they bring the Diamond Event back after several months of passengers complaints.

Oh, peanuts in the VCL; nada in Boleros.  We ended up going to Sorrentos and the Deli to get a late snack before happy hour, since we always eat at late seating in the dining room.  

To me, it's a lot of hassle for a few drinks each day.  Much as we like NOLA, the Majesty, and the FABULOUS crew, I think the whole happy hour thing will have us going to other ships. It wouldn't be so bad it you could sit and have decent service, but to take the Diamond Event away and substitute it with lack of bar service, is like salt in a wound.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pcur said:

We just arrived home two days ago from a b2b2b on the Majesty from 1/25 - 2/15.  We loved the ship, the crew, the food, but the evening happy hour sucked, big time.  First of all the Diamond Event cancellation emptied the Viking Crown Lounge.  It's pretty dead up there now, and all the time.  I can see them eyeballing that area for some changes, because the revenue has probably dropped considerably.  I was emphatic on all 3 of my post-cruise surveys about this, and what I have to say below.

The bar service during the Diamond and above happy hours is terrible in the Viking Crown Lounge and Boleros.  Crickets in both places.  The bar staff in the Viking Crown are almost non-existent in the early part of the happy hours from 4:30 - 6pm.  They eliminated the walk up bar in the Viking Crown, so if you can't find a bar waiter, you can't get a drink.

In Boleros it's almost as bad.  One bar waiter for the whole lounge until more people show up.  At least we could walk up to the bar to get our drinks.

So, they try to sooth us with "use your 3 complimentary drinks nightly on your card", but then you have a hard time finding someone to to get a drink from, and we tip for every happy hour drink we get, too.  Standing at the bar in Boleros waiting, I noticed other D-and-above getting their drinks, and way saddened by how many people don't add a tip.  

So, it will be interesting to see what happens to the VCL space.  I hope they bring the Diamond Event back after several months of passengers complaints.

Oh, peanuts in the VCL; nada in Boleros.  We ended up going to Sorrentos and the Deli to get a late snack before happy hour, since we always eat at late seating in the dining room.  

To me, it's a lot of hassle for a few drinks each day.  Much as we like NOLA, the Majesty, and the FABULOUS crew, I think the whole happy hour thing will have us going to other ships. It wouldn't be so bad it you could sit and have decent service, but to take the Diamond Event away and substitute it with lack of bar service, is like salt in a wound.

Thanks for sharing your experience on Majesty.  What a shame RC has made this decision to cancel Happy Hour.  Maybe if enough complaints received they will change back?  I did express my disappointment.  We had planned to do some extended cruising on Majesty.  But instead have booked Vision instead.  At least we know what to expect on that ship.

Cheers,

NJ 

• Like 1

Somewhere in this post there was a comment about getting bottles of water with your 3 drinks during happy hour. Is this true? Can you use the drink coupons for water? I’m not a big drinker but I would leave ever Diamond event with a bottle of water for my room. Also can you use the drink coupons at dinner if you have the early seating?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Are you saying you had trouble getting 3 drinks on MJ during the 2 1/2 hours happy hour?

11 minutes ago, karenemily said:

Somewhere in this post there was a comment about getting bottles of water with your 3 drinks during happy hour. Is this true? Can you use the drink coupons for water? I’m not a big drinker but I would leave ever Diamond event with a bottle of water for my room. Also can you use the drink coupons at dinner if you have the early seating?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes you can get bottled water during the C&A HH . Yes you can order C&A HH drinks in the MDR during the C&A HH. 

Edited by davekathy

Majesty was a little odd that way. I don't know if they all took their break at the same time or what. You would be absolutely inundated with bar servers...and then they would all disappear for some length of time. We never did quite figure that out. We would just walk up to a bar, mostly on the pool deck. The Viking Crown was empty with no event going on. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Majesty was a little odd that way. I don't know if they all took their break at the same time or what. You would be absolutely inundated with bar servers...and then they would all disappear for some length of time. We never did quite figure that out. We would just walk up to a bar, mostly on the pool deck. The Viking Crown was empty with no event going on. 

We've seen this happen on crossings when Diamond Event is held in one of the Clubs (eg. Safari Club).   Waiters are either on break or all lined up waiting for drink orders. Also, once the main crown has gone to dinner, believe these waiters may go to dining room instead.  We usually go directly to bar for drinkies.  It's faster & you get to know the bartender.

NJ 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 8:52 PM, NJ&Ozzie said:

......Additionally, we are sticking with 3 drink credits daily. We truly appreciate your suggestions, and I've forwarded them for further internal review."

That really sucks because if you want a soda or water there goes several of them.