Majesty Diamond situation

21 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Can I assume you are now Pinnacle?  If so, completely different story as Pinnacles are indeed at the top of the pyramid, the only ones with access to any lounge on the ship and the only ones (along with suite guests) who have suffered no losses.

Not yet! Let’s wait & see. It’s all to do about Suites. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Navigator and Voyager moved DL down to the cigar bar on Promenade to make a nice SL up on 14

Pretty sure you know what happened to Oasis and soon to happen to Allure

BTW, I think Explorer is getting the DL down on 5 as well

I guess this is an area where you and I differ. Who cares where the  lounge is located.  It appears that most folks want a diamond lounge, and it also appears that all of the ships that originally had a diamond lounge still have a diamond lounge.  

Yes-back in 2011 I sailed Allure and was able to enjoy the large concierge lounge.   In fact  back in 2011, the diamond lounge was a small windowless lounge on deck six overlooking the promenade. Kind of where the schooner bar is on Harmony, but more enclosed. I don’t recall anyone complaining.  And there was no suite lounge back then. 

Fast forward to symphony/harmony where I have enjoyed the lovely D lounge down on deck 4.   

sorry, but I don’t see the issue. 
m

• Like 1

I am so happy we are proponents of vouchers, and have been since the day they were introduced.  

I do visit some ship lounges a little more than others, but on other ships particularly oasis class ships we rarely use the lounge for cocktails.    I can’t recall the last time I really ate  appetizers, and by the looks of the picture John posted earlier ( not sure if it was this thread or another) , it seems like most of the food is going to waste anyway.

We’ve all seen changes in the cruise industry for the past 30 years, and I suspect changes  will continue. 

We all have the power of the mighty dollar. If you don’t like what you’re being offered,  switch to something else. I don’t know about all of you, but I worked too hard for my money to spend it on something that doesn’t give me pleasure. 
M

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Correct, class of 2017

Has anyone really 'suffered'?

J+L,  sincere congratulations on reaching Pinnacle.  I believe we met on a cruise many years ago in the  CL and enjoyed the time together. Good for you!

But, what have we lost (suffered)?  We were on Anthem (shortened cruise to 5 days). This was our 5th time on the ship.  For the first four, we had access to the fabulous CL, with wonderful vistas from the aft of the ship.  This time, we were in the DL which was overcrowded, while the CL was "empty." according to the concierge.

Our next cruise is on Majesty.  What have we lost?  The recent elimination of the Happy Hour event altogether in the VCL.  It's not just about the drinks.  It's about the opportunity to gather with others and make friendships.  No, the Schooner bar or VCL bar don't cut it.  They are either noisy or empty, not to mention the lack of "little hot dogs."  Yes, indeed, we have indeed lost perks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

J+L,  sincere congratulations on reaching Pinnacle.  I believe we met on a cruise many years ago in the  CL and enjoyed the time together. Good for you!

But, what have we lost (suffered)?  We were on Anthem (shortened cruise to 5 days). This was our 5th time on the ship.  For the first four, we had access to the fabulous CL, with wonderful vistas from the aft of the ship.  This time, we were in the DL which was overcrowded, while the CL was "empty." according to the concierge.

Our next cruise is on Majesty.  What have we lost?  The recent elimination of the Happy Hour event altogether in the VCL.  It's not just about the drinks.  It's about the opportunity to gather with others and make friendships.  No, the Schooner bar or VCL bar don't cut it.  They are either noisy or empty, not to mention the lack of "little hot dogs."  Yes, indeed, we have indeed lost perks.

I am happy to say that we have met lifelong friends in many places outside of the lounge. Using the flexibility of the vouchers, or simply paying for a drink, has allowed us to meet fellow cruisers in a variety of venues around the ship.  Last mariner cruise we spoke to a couple in playmakers. We were using our diamond vouchers they were on their second cruise. It was so refreshing to hear them talk about how excited they were about the ship, about cruising, about the entertainment, about the food. Often in the lounge all I hear is people complaining or bragging. 

If people met in the VCL on Majesty before, why can’t they meet in the VCL  now and make some more of a happy hour.  Put a post on the community message board or try to spread the word at diamond breakfast area. 

m

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I agree that the CL on Anthem is fabulous and has wonderful views. Yes...it might have been "empty" and the DL "crowded" but with a large # of D+ cruisers, allowing D+ access to the CL on Anthem would have changed increased the numbers in the CL now making it "crowded". RCI is a victim of it's own loyalty program and is working on ways to tame the monster it created. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I predict I will die one day.

But seriously, how long ago did they add the vouchers? At least 4 years. And you weren't the only one with that novel prediction.

The first we ran into it was a Nov 2014 TA on Indy.  And that was an experience.  1200 or so D and above and we were advised that they would not open up the VCL for overflow.  We would use our 3-drink vouchers at other bars.  First night:  absolute chaos.  DL packed and others stood in line for drinks.  I think it took people by surprise.  We didn't necessarily arrive early but we did have seats in the DL.  For some reason, the concierge stood at the DL door checking off names on a printout.  Not sure why,  Second night, the card room was opened as well as the adjoining room to the card room.  However, those who ended up there needed to use their vouchers.  Well, that really upset quite a few people.  Third day, captain's talk in theatre.  A woman raised her hand and asked:  Have you been advised what's happening in the DL?  And a discussion began.  That night, the entire VCL was opened as overflow...AND...any drink, including frozen and you could order any brand that was displayed.  And that was how it was for the rest of the cruise.

I'm sure others predicted it and still believe that's what is happening.  Just providing an anecdote: no claim to prescience.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Are you saying you had trouble getting 3 drinks on MJ during the 2 1/2 hours happy hour?

Yes, I did have trouble in both the VCL and Boleros between 4:30 and 6pm.  I mentioned it on all 3 of my surveys.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No, but there have been some serious downgrades 😉

Oasis 

Allure (coming soon)

Navigator

Voyager

I actually really like the one on Navigator. I felt it was a little bit bigger than the one on Mariner. Plus there were way more seats!20191029_190446.thumb.jpg.b3ceffbb7416bee9ab1d26ffa69e1c2f.jpg20191028_193834.thumb.jpg.e8459f0b1c470ea10a99d38c084a230e.jpg

But on the other hands the views on Mariner DL is far superior to Navigators. 

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Plus you still got your three C&A HH drinks in the evening plus all the other diamond perks/benefits. 👍

As I stated previously, our 3 Majesty cruises were wonderful!  The only problem was the Diamond Event being discontinued PLUS difficulty getting a drink in two of the bars using the 3 free drinks each night.  Coralc mentioned she noticed this, too.  Someone else mentioned that the Schooner bar is a loud mess during happy hour.  So, getting said 3 drinks was a problem elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I predict I will die one day.

But seriously, how long ago did they add the vouchers? At least 4 years. And you weren't the only one with that novel prediction.

We were on the Vision in July 2014 and it was the 2nd or 3rd week of vouchers.  

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

As mentioned previously, Schooners was loud and crazy.  I just went up to the bar in Boleros and got my own until the servers showed up later.

I know there are more bars on MJ than the two you listed. Schooner on MJ is almost always packed. We sailed on he a few times when she was based out of Part Canaveral. 

26 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I know there are more bars on MJ than the two you listed. Schooner on MJ is almost always packed. We sailed on he a few times when she was based out of Part Canaveral. 

Don't want to use the outside pool bar, and Spectrum usually had some activity going on during HH.

2 hours ago, pcur said:

As I stated previously, our 3 Majesty cruises were wonderful!  The only problem was the Diamond Event being discontinued PLUS difficulty getting a drink in two of the bars using the 3 free drinks each night.  Coralc mentioned she noticed this, too.  Someone else mentioned that the Schooner bar is a loud mess during happy hour.  So, getting said 3 drinks was a problem elsewhere.

Bummer. I get it about the diamond event being discontinued and slow service. Sometimes we gotta make adjustments on the fly and play the hand we are dealt.  I would have had no problem first voicing my dissatisfaction with the LA and the followed that up with an Email to the CAS when I got home. Other than that little bump in the road I hope you had an enjoyable cruise..  

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I guess this is an area where you and I differ. Who cares where the  lounge is located.  It appears that most folks want a diamond lounge, and it also appears that all of the ships that originally had a diamond lounge still have a diamond lounge.  

Yes-back in 2011 I sailed Allure and was able to enjoy the large concierge lounge.   In fact  back in 2011, the diamond lounge was a small windowless lounge on deck six overlooking the promenade. Kind of where the schooner bar is on Harmony, but more enclosed. I don’t recall anyone complaining.  And there was no suite lounge back then. 

Fast forward to symphony/harmony where I have enjoyed the lovely D lounge down on deck 4.   

sorry, but I don’t see the issue. 
m

I don't care,  I'm just sharing the general consensus. 

FWIW, they seem to have gotten much smaller. So more crowded. Any answer to that.

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am so happy we are proponents of vouchers, and have been since the day they were introduced.  

I do visit some ship lounges a little more than others, but on other ships particularly oasis class ships we rarely use the lounge for cocktails.    I can’t recall the last time I really ate  appetizers, and by the looks of the picture John posted earlier ( not sure if it was this thread or another) , it seems like most of the food is going to waste anyway.

We’ve all seen changes in the cruise industry for the past 30 years, and I suspect changes  will continue. 

We all have the power of the mighty dollar. If you don’t like what you’re being offered,  switch to something else. I don’t know about all of you, but I worked too hard for my money to spend it on something that doesn’t give me pleasure. 
M

The issue on this thread, is the passengers learned the lounge policy on MJ was changed after final. So while they can move on and speak with their wallets, they can't for the ships

Currently booked

• Like 3

IMHO a former HD on Majesty, who was very generous in what he offered Loyalty members, contributed to the current disappointment in the removal of the Diamond Event as much of what he previously offered on Majesty was inconsistent with RCI policies. Events offered on Majesty were not the same as those done on similar ships such as Empress. Now RCI is trying to have consistency and it's not being well received.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Seems like no one commenting in this thread remembers that Empress was returned to RCI fleet in May 2016 for one reason and one reason only, 4 and 5 night cruises to Havana.  At that time cruisers that elected to sail on that ship were willing to forgo some amenities do to the itinerary. 

Majesty had the faux  diamond lounge while she did 4-5 night cruises to the Bahama's from Florida.  Now RCI has moved her to NOLA doing 7 night cruises, so the type of cruisers you attract are more apt to expect the standard Royal amenities, which are definitely lacking on Majesty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

Majesty had the faux  diamond lounge while she did 4-5 night cruises to the Bahama's from Florida.  Now RCI has moved her to NOLA doing 7 night cruises, so the type of cruisers you attract are more apt to expect the standard Royal amenities, which are definitely lacking on Majesty.

Yes, excellent point!  RCCL could have handled it much better by setting a date for the change six months in the future.  That would allow everyone to have knowledge of what to expect and make informed decisions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Seems like no one commenting in this thread remembers that Empress was returned to RCI fleet in May 2016 for one reason and one reason only, 4 and 5 night cruises to Havana. 

Plus, Majesty was scheduled to leave the fleet with final sailings announced (I was booked on the last two) and then that plan was changed solely to have a second ship for Cuba. 

20 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

What are serious downgrades.  Don't these ships still have a D lounge?  

M

yes, they do, but I know in the Oasis, they moved the D lounge from a great location mid-ship, with windows looking towards the open back of the ship (where Wonderland is now), to the same windowless smaller space down on 4 where the comedy club, etc, is.  huge downgrade in location.

• Like 2

Been on the Liberty three times, but it's been 4 years now I think.  The DL was sliced out of, and walled off with a door, from a part of the old Viking Crown Lounge on the top. It wasn't big, but it never felt crowded. had nice windows and deck/ocean views. I presume it's still there?

was just on the Independence. Liked that lounge. frankly it was better than the one on the Harmony - plenty of room, windows. pleasant. the one on the Harmony (and other Oasis class ships) puts you into what feels like a dark oversized conference room near the entrance to the comedy club and theater. not nearly as nice

Edited by RCLDIAMONDIAM