Galapagos Islands: Should we add on Machu Pichu?

Marianna49

My husband and I are 70 years old, in fairly good physical health. We are now planning a cruise on Celebrity Xploration and are undecided about selecting the add-on for Machu Pichu. Also, what were some of your experiences on which "loop" to choose. We are considering, strongly, the southern loop. We will not be snorkeling or scuba diving. Also, what time of year is ideal? We have done some research and came to the conclusion that March would be best. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for any suggestions, comments both good and bad. We believe in taking advantage of other people's experiences. 😉

We did the Manchu Picchu addition when we did the Galapagos on the Xpedition in 2016.  At that time we did what was called the Inner Loop.  Celebrity did an excellent job.  At the time my husband was 69.  We snorkeled  and it was very manageable.  (There were many older than us on the trip who also snorkeled.)  we loved the different islands and the wildlife.  The Zodiac cruises for excursions were also good.  The Manchu Picchu extension was great.  First class all the way.  I actually did it in an aircast - torn tendons in left foot.  We did this in July.  It was great weather and lots of baby birds.

If you are interested the link is a Youtube video of the photos from our trip.

https://youtu.be/2ctjPVgERjU

Another vote for adding on Machu Picchu; you’re already over there! We also went with Celebrity, and especially the MP portion was first class all the way. We lived in MD at the time, practically sea level, and had no problems with the altitude besides a little bit of headache when we first got to Peru. We (66 and 69 at the time) also snorkeled at every opportunity despite cold water (they give you wetsuits) and loved every one of them. I highly recommend you try at least one outing. Tour operators are nearby at all times.  Have a wonderful time!

On 1/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, Marianna49 said:

My husband and I are 70 years old, in fairly good physical health. We are now planning a cruise on Celebrity Xploration and are undecided about selecting the add-on for Machu Pichu. Also, what were some of your experiences on which "loop" to choose. We are considering, strongly, the southern loop. We will not be snorkeling or scuba diving. Also, what time of year is ideal? We have done some research and came to the conclusion that March would be best. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for any suggestions, comments both good and bad. We believe in taking advantage of other people's experiences. 😉

Hello Marianna, We did the Celebrity Xpedition with MP extension in Aug 2016 and had a fabulous time! Ours was the outer loop. There were several passengers on our cruise who didn't snorkel, and they were offered additional zodiac trips to view the wildlife during times when snorkel excursions were offered. The tour guides did a great job of adjusting excursions to meet the needs of all the passengers.

Although I thought I was well prepared I was surprised by having difficulty with the altitude. This mostly presented as a bit of dizziness and a persistent headache that would go away soon after we moved to lower altitudes. I was first hit when we went on a private tour to Cotopaxi. Then again when we visited Ollantaytambo and Cusco during on the Peru extension. Macchu Picchu was not a problem. The Celebrity tour guides were great with helping me out. At one stop during the tour they brought me into a quiet garden and offered me an oxygen treatment. When we stayed in Cusco they arranged for oxygen to be pumped directly into our room. 

As a side note, I grew up in NHP!

My, my Kathy.  I am really impressed by your ability to spell the places you visited! I wouldn't even attempt to pronounce the "O" city you refer to, let alone recall its spelling. 

Thank you to my fellow travelers for responding and giving me the encouragement to make the decision to add Macchu Picchu. My husband and I have invested in a treadmill to begin building our muscles up so we can withstand walking for long periods under strenuous circumstances - being in the North, outdoor walking is tricky and I prefer the warmth of the home. 

Happy sailing.🥰

• 1 month later...

My DH and I went last year at 66 years old. It was possibly one of the greatest trips we've ever taken!  We are in fairly good shape, but carry a few extra pounds. The guides are fantastic at assessing your capabilities. I was opting for the easier route through the MP ruins, but our guide encouraged me to do the upper portion. They are sooooo patient with frequent stops. No one on our group had difficulty with the altitude that impaired their activities. In Cusco I had trouble sleeping but never knew we had the option to request oxygen in the room, Our doctor gave us a prescription for Diamox, but we never took it.

You will not regret traveling on to Macchu Picchu. 

Thank you all for your wonderful help. We have decided to take the leap of faith and go for it. It is truly a blessing to have this message board to gather information in order to make a choice. 🤗