Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
crusinthrough

Loyal to Royal tries Princess

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

I don't think it would take much to improve RC TV options, however Princess seems to have a great selection.  I can't wait to see your take on their pizza and entertainment differences.  We used to only sail on Princess, until we discovered Oasis Class.  Other than Panama Canal with them we have not returned.  We really liked them, but is hard to compare certain aspects.

 

Matt is right though, one has to go in with eyes open to appreciate what you have in front of you.

Comparing Oasis class to any ship on any line is apples to oranges. Nothing can compare. Those mega ships can't sail the same itineraries that smaller ships can sail including those in Royal's own fleet. We choose Princess and Celebrity and smaller RC ships for the destination. Oasis class is the the destination. I'm not happy about Oasis replacing Anthem In NJ. The itineraries are lame.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Comparing Oasis class to any ship on any line is apples to oranges. Nothing can compare. Those mega ships can't sail the same itineraries that smaller ships can sail including those in Royal's own fleet. We choose Princess and Celebrity and smaller RC ships for the destination. Oasis class is the the destination. I'm not happy about Oasis replacing Anthem In NJ. The itineraries are lame.

Consider Azamara for new ports.  Loyalty status transfers within limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so happy you put this here and more importantly the mods let it stay!

 

I've  looked at the other cruise line boards, and much like we are here, it's just a lot of inside baseball.

 

It's really nice to see one of  "loyal to royalers" take on the other lines.

 

I hope there's a way to somehow let these continue,  to some small degree,  they're super helpful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Comparing Oasis class to any ship on any line is apples to oranges. Nothing can compare. Those mega ships can't sail the same itineraries that smaller ships can sail including those in Royal's own fleet. We choose Princess and Celebrity and smaller RC ships for the destination. Oasis class is the the destination. I'm not happy about Oasis replacing Anthem In NJ. The itineraries are lame.

 

This right here.  I enjoy Princess over Carnival because it just seems less frenetic and I think their ships are quite nice.  Princess Alaska itineraries include Glacier Bay and is just beautiful.  I believe Princess and HAL are the only two allowed in there.  The food, to me, on Carnival is better.  But, most of the ships have stopped serving fountain coke and only have can coke.  I'm a Pepsi drinker and can't choke down canned/bottle coke but can drink fountain.  Unless it's a port I can drive too, it's difficult to drag on a case or two of Pepsi.  Oasis class ships are stunning and when I just want to relax, enjoy the ship and my room, especially if we can swing a suite, nothing beats the amenities.  I'll continue to sail all three depending on what type of vacation we are planning. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm so happy you put this here and more importantly the mods let it stay!

 

I've  looked at the other cruise line boards, and much like we are here, it's just a lot of inside baseball.

 

It's really nice to see one of  "loyal to royalers" take on the other lines.

 

I hope there's a way to somehow let these continue,  to some small degree,  they're super helpful

I have seen comparisons on the other boards but this is the first time I have seen Royal Vs Princess. It's usually Carnival vs Royal or NCL or Princess vs Celebrity or HAL.  Royal and Princess are two different animals so it's interesting to see the comparison from a first time Princess passenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Comparing Oasis class to any ship on any line is apples to oranges. Nothing can compare. Those mega ships can't sail the same itineraries that smaller ships can sail including those in Royal's own fleet. We choose Princess and Celebrity and smaller RC ships for the destination. Oasis class is the the destination. I'm not happy about Oasis replacing Anthem In NJ. The itineraries are lame.

 

A 7 day cruise on an Oasis class ship is what boggles my mind. The Anthem had a 9 day itinerary. I booked a 2021 RCL Oasis cruise because there's only ONE summer sailing that's more than 7 days on Oasis that year and I wanted to make sure I got a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

 

A 7 day cruise on an Oasis class ship is what boggles my mind. The Anthem had a 9 day itinerary. I booked a 2021 RCL Oasis cruise because there's only ONE summer sailing that's more than 7 days on Oasis that year and I wanted to make sure I got a spot.

I think it's great for young families as they usually can't do more than 7 days and the ship being the destination and the ho hum ports of call don't matter much as a beach is a beach to kids. I can't even look at a 7 day cruise anymore and I won't spend money on airfare for that short period which is why the 9 day from NJ was perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed Princess once into the Panama Canal back in 2009.  It was a wonderful cruise on the lovely Island Princess.  Food was excellent both in the MDR and specialty.  The chef's table experience was the best we have ever done by FAR. There were things we liked better than Royal and things we liked better about Princess.  One thing I remember to this day was returning to the ship on a very hot day and being greeted on the line with a frozen towel and cool drink.  Nice touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, critterchick said:

 

Crown is larger than Star. Much of the layout in the common areas is similar, but the extra deck of passengers cabins on Crown make it seem quite a bit more crowded at peak times.

That's good to know... Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floatel_lvr said:

We sailed Princess once into the Panama Canal back in 2009.  It was a wonderful cruise on the lovely Island Princess.  Food was excellent both in the MDR and specialty.  The chef's table experience was the best we have ever done by FAR. There were things we liked better than Royal and things we liked better about Princess.  One thing I remember to this day was returning to the ship on a very hot day and being greeted on the line with a frozen towel and cool drink.  Nice touch.

 

We did the maiden voyage of Coral Princess back in 2003.  Coral is sister ship to Island.  Probably the same itinerary.  Those are two lovely ships.

We loved that cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mafig said:

 

We did the maiden voyage of Coral Princess back in 2003.  Coral is sister ship to Island.  Probably the same itinerary.  Those are two lovely ships.

We loved that cruise!

Since the Radiance Class are one of our favorite ships as far as look and feel we felt right at home on the Island.  She was fabulous.  Not all the bells and whistles of the bigger girls but a great class of ship none the less and a very comfortable layout.  Easy to get around, never felt crowded and great service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I have only cruised on RCI, Celebrity and Azamara, but am considering Princess and HAL.   Nothing in this balanced review stops me from Princess

Royal and Princess each have something different to offer. We really enjoy both. 

One thing about Princess, it has more of a shipboard feel and less of the Las Vegas/amusement park atmosphere. So it jus depends on what you’re looking for. 

Princess, when you reach Platinum loyalty level, (doesn’t take many cruises) gives you 250 internet minutes free, even in the lowest cabin category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve done a bunch of Princess but were on the Explorer in November.  While that boat got bashed about a good bit here by folks unhappy with it (and it is going to dry dock) we really liked it and thought the food was much better than Princess.  We’ll be on Royal in the future.

 

Someone commented that only Princess and NCL get into Glacier Bay and I don’t know if that is true but that would get me back on Princess.  Glacier Bay is incredible.  Just incredible.  I’d take a rubber raft if that is what it took to get in there! 

 

But we’re over in the Loyal Royal bunch now...  imo, Princess is good but Royal is much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

We’ve done a bunch of Princess but were on the Explorer in November.  While that boat got bashed about a good bit here by folks unhappy with it (and it is going to dry dock) we really liked it and thought the food was much better than Princess.  We’ll be on Royal in the future.

 

Someone commented that only Princess and NCL get into Glacier Bay and I don’t know if that is true but that would get me back on Princess.  Glacier Bay is incredible.  Just incredible.  I’d take a rubber raft if that is what it took to get in there! 

 

But we’re over in the Loyal Royal bunch now...  imo, Princess is good but Royal is much better.

Glacier Bay is a National Park and only Princess and HAL were grandfathered into the permit system.  Other cruise lines must apply.  Royal doesn't have a permit.  I don't know about NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work got in the way but I am back to continue.  For those who are still following along... 

 

 The ship sailed full.  Random data provided by the Cruise Director Marcus.  37 countries represented.  The top 8 countries;

 

- Philippines - 2

- Australia - 9

- Mexico - 15

- UK - 18

- Japan - 24

- China - 46

- Canada - 215

- U.S. - 3,313

 

Most people I met were from LA or somewhere on the West Coast.  I hardly saw any young kids or kids in strollers.  I saw a few young adults in the elevator.  One waiter said during Thanksgiving week there were 800 kids.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sail away could have been enjoyable if it wasn’t cold and windy.  A few brave the weather.  You miss an outdoor day going and coming when sailing in December. 292420403_RoyalPrincess(1of20).thumb.jpg.4890ca5165c6b3d823cc007dd2fa4cdf.jpg816094998_RoyalPrincess(2of20).thumb.jpg.5ea973a43cee65ddb47d08f63aded1b3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comedian was AJ Jamal.  He is always funny to me.  I have seen him on Royal, Celebrity and now Princess.   There were four shows.  I believe the first two were last minute because a performer missed the ship.   

 

Production shows are not my thing.  I cannot comment if they were good or bad.  Some activities from the Princess Patter; 

 

Music and Martinis

Music and Cocktails

Piano Entertainment

Easy Listening Music with the Sunset Quartet

Trivia

Movie Under the Stars

Movie in Vista Lounge

Mariachi music in the Piazza

Karaoke

70 Disco Party

80’s Groove Party

NFL game was shown on the pool deck screen

Late night party in the adult only pool area

 

853708960_RoyalPrincess(11of20).thumb.jpg.17b65ff02b5882a3a72ad9b95749602a.jpg

 

I enjoyed the piano music the most.  A lot of people danced to the Mariachi music and other music sets. 

 

1518986387_RoyalPrincess(8of20).thumb.jpg.664401dcae7ab2424727f5f6df7c78af.jpg

 

I did not see a scrapbooking class but I think this "fun" cruise activity is fading away. The class on the Harmony was a waste of time.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed a lot of people playing board games, which I discovered were in the library. 

 

1157792344_RoyalPrincess(12of20).thumb.jpg.aee78f22aa89a9582ec8761101974919.jpg162953135_RoyalPrincess(13of20).thumb.jpg.2a87af0fb914967ef22d7d4dec5a6952.jpg

 

The books in the library 

 

Royal Princess (14 of 20).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The casino seemed small for the size of the ship and somewhat smokey but not terrible like the Carnival Vista.  The slot machines were always busy. 1255169830_RoyalPrincess(6of20).thumb.jpg.d225000edf7b0a670ded10098f02c579.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roulette table lowered the odds with an extra “Princess” bet.  

209388767_RoyalPrincess(19of20).thumb.jpg.1a4c92324e750474cc288b798b3f7f00.jpg

 

It paid 12 to 1

 

1008941939_RoyalPrincess(20of20).thumb.jpg.1d110d143babe26000eaea76c63441b4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2nd night was the Capitan Toast / Champagne Toast.  The officers were introduced.

 

901174530_RoyalPrincess(3of20).thumb.jpg.c1850c3ad0a6daf1f43de5085def6a33.jpg

 

 

The first time I saw the infamous Stanley the Bear.  

 

192428459_RoyalPrincess(9of20).thumb.jpg.9d039c497ed30612625bdb17fc750d83.jpg

 

There was also a champagne toast photo opportunity.   The Royal Princess does not have facial recognition so you have to search for your pictures like the old days. 

 

1246851662_RoyalPrincess(5of20).thumb.jpg.c6ff920b36423b05e2d2de99b653056c.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no issues searching the web but the wifi wasn't great for watching a movie.  1044555536_RoyalPrincess(17of20).thumb.jpg.e5e60745bcffff5b7930f2cd96028656.jpg33402776_RoyalPrincess(18of20).thumb.jpg.50642a93f1515f21593c052ed6c81a1c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, matj2000 said:

Another " This is not as great as Royal"  disguised as review.

 

I have done Princess several times and my family always had a great time.

 

Not every cruise line has to be RC to be any good especially if you go into it with a sour face.

 

But I could have an excellent time on HAL.    Someday....

 

 

 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, A&L_Ont said:

 

I don't think it would take much to improve RC TV options, however Princess seems to have a great selection.  I can't wait to see your take on their pizza and entertainment differences.  We used to only sail on Princess, until we discovered Oasis Class.  Other than Panama Canal with them we have not returned.  We really liked them, but is hard to compare certain aspects.

 

Matt is right though, one has to go in with eyes open to appreciate what you have in front of you.

 

I usually sail Royal or Celebrity but mostly Royal.  All cruise lines have good and bad except for Carnival, which I just think is bad.. lol.  Seriously, I can go with the flow.  I did not care for the Enchantment and someone couldn't pay me to sail on her again.  However, I met a lot of great people that I I am still in contact with today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're only occasional cruisers but were on Caribbean Princess last year and just got off Oasis last week. Here are some differences that we care about:

 

  1. Princess doesn't track pool towels. You can take as many as you want from a pile by the pool deck, or near the gangway when docked. It's a small thing, but it removes one hassle and is oddly exhilarating.
  2. Speaking of towels, Princess doesn't do towel animals.
  3. In the MDR, dessert is on a separate menu, delivered after the main course. Again, this is a small thing, but I frequently misjudge how much room I'll have after appetizers and entrees, so being able to decide later is a big plus.
  4. Princess opens one MDR for an embarkation luncheon for all passengers.
  5. Staterooms are unlocked on embarkation day, so you can go in and drop off your bags in your room while it's still being prepped. For us, this is the difference that lets us skip giving our bags to the porter altogether and not having to wait for them to be delivered.
  6. Princess does an afternoon tea event in the MDR on sea days, involving tea and pastries.
  7. We only got to watch One Sky and Cats on Oasis of the Seas and the Princess shows were vastly better. On Caribbean Princess, the flagship show was called Fantastic Journey and it was a pretty good show overall.
  8. Room service is completely free, except for late night deliveries I think.
  9. Princess offers a soda package that allows you to get almost all non-alcoholic drinks (e.g. pina coladas, etc) for something like $8/day. This same package is $30+ on RCCL, which significantly changes the calculus for occasional drinkers like us.

If this sounds like an RCCL bashing, in some ways it is, but at the end of the day, these are small things. We enjoyed the sheer volume of activities and entertainment on Oasis immensely, and those benefits can easily outweigh all of these nitpicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...