Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dcac2

Transportation from Zeebrugge to Bruges

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. Our ship will be docked in Zeebrugges for one day & I'm hoping for some transportation recommendations for getting from Zeebruges to Bruges(return).  Taxi(most expensive), shuttle service(is this reliable?) or train(cheapest, but likely furthest from port).  Preferences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dcac2 said:

Hi everyone. Our ship will be docked in Zeebrugges for one day & I'm hoping for some transportation recommendations for getting from Zeebruges to Bruges(return).  Taxi(most expensive), shuttle service(is this reliable?) or train(cheapest, but likely furthest from port).  Preferences?

What ship will you be on? Does your ship offer a shuttle to the train station? When we were there, we took the train (took tram to Blankenberge train station - easy). It is my understanding that there is now a bus to Bruges (wasn't available when we docked) - you can read about the transportation options here:

https://zeebrugge.net/en/cruise-terminal.php

If we visit again, we would be inclined to take the public bus mentioned in the above article - imho, seems to be the most cost effective means to reach the historical center of Bruges.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Train will be the cheapest but usually only 1 train per hour. If you arrive immediately after the train departs, you will waste valuable time waiting for the next one.

 

There are reputable shuttle companies outside of the terminal that tranist to Brugge.

 

If the cruise line has a shuttle to Brugge, the bus will be waiting near the ship and you just walk to it. Otherwise, there is a free shuttle provided by the port from the dock to the terminal. From the terminal, short walk to the shuttles or taxi to Zebrugge-Dorp station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank-you for all of your information. We will be sailing on the Celebrity Apex & do I not believe they have a shuttle organized to transport passengers into Bruges or to the train station, but I will look into that again.  We do not have trouble walking so I'm not concerned if we have a bit of a walk to get to the shuttle or the train station, but I would like to feel confident in the transportation that we will be depending on.   Maybe the shuttle one way & the train on the way back!   Thanks again 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

What ship will you be on? Does your ship offer a shuttle to the train station? When we were there, we took the train (took tram to Blankenberge train station - easy). It is my understanding that there is now a bus to Bruges (wasn't available when we docked) - you can read about the transportation options here:

https://zeebrugge.net/en/cruise-terminal.php

If we visit again, we would be inclined to take the public bus mentioned in the above article - imho, seems to be the most cost effective means to reach the historical center of Bruges.

Actually after reading more about the shuttle transportation....that might be the way to go with a return ticket!  Thanks again for the transportation link.  Very informative! ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, dcac2 said:

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Apex

 

Are you on the "taster" cruise? I was also interested in info regarding travel to Brugges... seems like a good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shuttle service we (4 adults, 2 children) used Spring 2018: 

 

http://www.cruise-express.beRound-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdf
info@cruise-express.be

Just a few minutes walk from the shuttle "ship to the gate of the dock" in Zeebrugge and (of course) a walk from the Parking outside the "walls"  to the city center.

Round-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Are you on the "taster" cruise? I was also interested in info regarding travel to Brugges... seems like a good option.

We are not on the taster cruise 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcac2 said:

We are not on the taster cruise 🙁

 

Oh, thanks. I was under the impression that Apex will be doing the Canaries and the Med. Now I see it'll be doing some Baltics too... ENJOY !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we went, there were shuttle buses (independent of the cruise line) that were waiting right off the ship. We bought our R/T tickets right from them. They went back and forth, leaving every 30 minutes. It dropped us off right by the train station, so it was like a 15-20 minute walk into the main part of town. Totally easy and convenient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the Bruges walking tour that we used during our visit. If anyone is interested in the PDF, shoot me an email (address included in signature).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, MAVIP said:

The shuttle service we (4 adults, 2 children) used Spring 2018: 

 

http://www.cruise-express.be Round-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdfUnavailable
info@cruise-express.be

Just a few minutes walk from the shuttle "ship to the gate of the dock" in Zeebrugge and (of course) a walk from the Parking outside the "walls"  to the city center.

Round-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdf 7.78 MB · 6 downloads

Wondering if it is necessary to book in advance for this shuttle or can you pay on the bus on the day?

 

Cheers

 

Sue and Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sussanahrose said:

Wondering if it is necessary to book in advance for this shuttle or can you pay on the bus on the day?

 

Cheers

 

Sue and Peter

On the website they mention that they accept cash. Conclusion: you can pay upon departure. Risk is that you have to wait for next bus.  Our bus was fully booked.  No great risk that your ship will not be able to dock in Zeebrugge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MAVIP said:

On the website they mention that they accept cash. Conclusion: you can pay upon departure. Risk is that you have to wait for next bus.  Our bus was fully booked.  No great risk that your ship will not be able to dock in Zeebrugge. 

Thanks for the info.  So those who booked in advance were given priority? That would make it worthwhile booking ahead. Do you have to specify the time?

 

... Okay, had a better look at the website and found further information regarding how they have two queues, one for pre booked and one for sales on the day. Think we'll go ahead and book it our NCL "Bruges on your own" is AUD$113 pp and Cruise Express is AUD$32 pp, quite a difference!

 

Thanks again!

Edited by sussanahrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sussanahrose said:

Thanks for the info.  So those who booked in advance were given priority? That would make it worthwhile booking ahead. Do you have to specify the time?

 

Thanks!

Checked their conditions: they guarantee your place after booking. The bus leaves every 30 minutes. (When we used them a new bus took the place the moment the former one left the busstop). If the ship arrives later, they adapt their schedules. They guarantee that you will be back in time for the departure of the ship. They pay back if the ship has to cancel the visit of Zeebrugge and you can cancel yourself untill 48 hours before arrival of the ship. 

Just leave the ship at the time that suits you best (in the shuttle provided by the port authorities to the gate). Happy cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 3:02 AM, MAVIP said:

The shuttle service we (4 adults, 2 children) used Spring 2018: 

 

http://www.cruise-express.be Round-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdfUnavailable
info@cruise-express.be

Just a few minutes walk from the shuttle "ship to the gate of the dock" in Zeebrugge and (of course) a walk from the Parking outside the "walls"  to the city center.

Round-Trip Shuttle Service from Zeebrugge to Bruges.pdf 7.78 MB · 7 downloads

Thank you for this and all of the other information you provided, going to book my ticket today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Checked their conditions: they guarantee your place after booking. The bus leaves every 30 minutes. (When we used them a new bus took the place the moment the former one left the busstop). If the ship arrives later, they adapt their schedules. They guarantee that you will be back in time for the departure of the ship. They pay back if the ship has to cancel the visit of Zeebrugge and you can cancel yourself untill 48 hours before arrival of the ship. 

Just leave the ship at the time that suits you best (in the shuttle provided by the port authorities to the gate). Happy cruising!

All booked! Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...